2017 nhl redraft 1-15

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Hmm I've heard quite the opposite from wings fans. He has 4 more points in 3 less games. So no. Not a great development year. He was a bad pick at the time, especially with Vilardi available, and he's an even worse pick now. He would not be in top 20 in redraft

He was injury plagued. I had my concerns about him.... until I actually saw him play. He’s far more skilled than he gets credit for and straight up fast. Just in general, not even just for his size. Also excellent defensively.

12 points in 4 games in the playoffs
4 goals, 5 points in five preseason games.
Closer to making the NHL regularly than most guys.

He’s massively underrated imo, and I don’t see what players like Necas or Foote (who just got devoured by Rasmussen’s line for four easy wins) have done to warrant being ahead of him.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
He was injury plagued. I had my concerns about him.... until I actually saw him playz

He’s massively underrated imo.
Also had a very good preseason with the wings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was injury plagued. I had my concerns about him.... until I actually saw him play. He’s far more skilled than he gets credit for and straight up fast. Just in general, not even just for his size. Also excellent defensively.

He’s massively underrated imo, and I don’t see what players like Necas or Foote have done to warrant being ahead of him.

Leaning heavily on some pretty small sample sizes here.

Foote nearly matched his regular season ppg as a defenseman. Although the injury issues probably factored into that, but hard to say how much.

That said, re-drafts this early on are pretty worthless anyways. People always draw up some crap conclusions in these threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoCanes

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

He’s massively underrated imo, and I don’t see what players like Necas or Foote have done to warrant being ahead of him.

Why watch a player when you can just look at stats?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Leaning heavily on some pretty small sample sizes here.

Foote nearly matched his regular season ppg as a defenseman. Although the injury issues probably factored into that, but hard to say how much.

That said, re-drafts this early on are pretty worthless anyways. People always draw up some crap conclusions in these threads.

Small sample size non withstanding, Rasmussen dominated Foote in the head to head match up in the playoff series. Just completely out muscled him multiple times. His line also devoured Dube's line head to head. Dude is a 200 foot player

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Remember the thread for awhile.

Nolan Patrick has shown nothing but improvement in every aspect of his game. Being healthy and having a full summer of conditioning will make him even better in 2018-19.

Also in before someone tells me Voracek is the reason why he has to be useful.
Patrick is a night and day difference over what he was to begin the year. Hopefully he continues to stay healthy.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Remember the thread for awhile.

Nolan Patrick has shown nothing but improvement in every aspect of his game. Being healthy and having a full summer of conditioning will make him even better in 2018-19.

Also in before someone tells me Voracek is the reason why he has to be useful.
Couldnt agree more. Earlier in the year I foolishly had him dropped to around 10 or even below but i think more patience on my part was needed as what hes been able to show progressively in the BEST league in the world IS the reason he was chosen 2nd. Even as recently as a month ago I had Pettersson Heiskanen Chytil and Tolvanen ahead of him but cant justify that anymore until any of em show they can do what Patrick is doing (and Im a big Pettersson homer).

1 Hischier
2 Patrick
3 Pettersson
4 Heiskanen
5 Chytil
6 Tolvanen
7 Necas
8 Glass
9 Vilardi
10 Middlestat
11 Liljegren
12 Hipponiemi
13 Andersson
14 Lind
15 Makar
16 Valimaki
17 Poehling
18 Frost
19 Foote
20 Jokijarazu
21 Timmins
22 Yomomoto
23 Joseph
24 Suzuki
25 Vaakanaainen
26 Rasmussen
27 Branstorm
28 Thomas
29 Hague
30 Fomenton
31 Dipietro

HM Tippett Vesailanen Ratcliffe

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Couldnt agree more. Earlier in the year I foolishly had him dropped to around 10 or even below but i think more patience on my part was needed as what hes been able to show progressively in the BEST league in the world IS the reason he was chosen 2nd. Even as recently as a month ago I had Pettersson Heiskanen Chytil and Tolvanen ahead of him but cant justify that anymore until any of em show they can do what Patrick is doing (and Im a big Pettersson homer).

1 Hischier
2 Patrick
3 Pettersson
4 Heiskanen
5 Chytil
6 Tolvanen
7 Necas
8 Glass
9 Vilardi
10 Middlestat
11 Liljegren
12 Hipponiemi
13 Andersson
14 Lind
15 Makar
16 Valimaki
17 Poehling
18 Frost
19 Foote
20 Jokijarazu
21 Timmins
22 Yomomoto
23 Joseph
24 Suzuki
25 Vaakanaainen
26 Rasmussen
27 Branstorm
28 Thomas
29 Hague
30 Fomenton
31 Dipietro

HM Tippett Vesailanen Ratcliffe

Love your list, but disagree with the paragraph at the top. I still think Patrick will end up 6th 0r 7th best in this draft class. Nothing wrong with that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
:laugh: a lot of people here showing some real lack of knowledge having Makar outside the Top 10 or barely in it.

Kid is still no doubt a Top 5 pick in a redraft, with only Pettersson passing him while he could jump over Patrick. But then again this HF Boards so I'm not really surprised.

Reactions: Arnusson

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Pettersson
4. Heiskanen
5. Makar
6. Glass
7. Mittelstadt
8. Tolvanen
9. Vilardi
10. Chytil
11. Necas
12. Andersson
13. Brännström
14. Vesalainen
15. Frost
16. Heponiemi
17. Foote
18. Liljegren
19. Suzuki
20. Tippett
21. Thomas
22. Valimaki
23. Poehling
24. Rasmussen
25. Vaakanainen
26. Lind
27. Jokiharju
28. Timmins
29. Hague
30. Anderson-Dolan
31. Ratcliffe

HM: Yamamoto :)

I could have missed somebody. It was tough to decide on guys in the 14-24 range as a lot of them aren't separated by much. This will be a lot easier to make next year.

I agree with @Pierce Hawthorne, if Makar isn't in your top 10 then your list is wrong.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Pettersson
4. Heiskanen
5. Makar
6. Glass
7. Mittelstadt
8. Tolvanen
9. Vilardi
10. Chytil
11. Necas
12. Andersson
13. Brännström
14. Vesalainen
15. Frost
16. Heponiemi
17. Foote
18. Liljegren
19. Suzuki
20. Tippett
21. Thomas
22. Valimaki
23. Poehling
24. Rasmussen
25. Vaakanainen
26. Lind
27. Jokiharju
28. Timmins
29. Hague
30. Anderson-Dolan
31. Ratcliffe

I could have missed somebody. It was tough to decide on guys in the 14-24 range as a lot of them aren't separated by much. This will be a lot easier to make next year.

I agree with @Pierce Hawthorne, if Makar isn't in your top 10 then your list is wrong.
agree on Makar, he is still top 10 no doubt.

but I will add, if Yamamoto isn't in your top 31, then your list is wrong lol - if he isn't in your top 20, it is still wrong!

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
agree on Makar, he is still top 10 no doubt.

but I will add, if Yamamoto isn't in your top 31, then your list is wrong lol - if he isn't in your top 20, it is still wrong!

I don't know about that, I'm not his biggest fan. I understand he is having some injury trouble, but it is never good to see a players numbers take a dip in the D+1 year. I wouldn't have a problem with him in the ~24-30 range, but I really don't see what he has done to move up like you implied. Guys like Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Frost, Jokiharju, Hague and so on pretty easily passed him in my opinion.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't know about that, I'm not his biggest fan. I understand he is having some injury trouble, but it is never good to see a players numbers take a dip in the D+1 year. I wouldn't have a problem with him in the ~24-30 range, but I really don't see what he has done to move up like you implied. Guys like Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Frost, Jokiharju, Hague and so on pretty easily passed him in my opinion.
what? he is on pace to beat his numbers from last year if he didn't get hurt/play in the WJC- he has had a very productive draft +1 year.

he also is one of the few from this draft class who has played in the NHL this year.

again, if Yamamoto isn't on your list, which he isn't it, is wrong...and he damn well moves up a few spots and should be top 20...

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
what? he is on pace to beat his numbers from last year if he didn't get hurt/play in the WJC- he has had a very productive draft +1 year.

he also is one of the few from this draft class who has played in the NHL this year.

again, if Yamamoto isn't on your list, which he isn't it, is wrong...and he damn well moves up a few spots and should be top 20...

2016-2017: 1.52ppg
2017-2018: 1.6ppg

So you are correct it was a very minor improvement. But really though, lets take off those glasses. He isn't moving up whatsoever. For the people drafted ahead of him, I'd say he has an argument to be picked above Josh Norris. That is it. He however, gets passed by: Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Frost, Jokiharju and Hague just to name a few.

In hindsight, I probably should have put him in the 26-30 range.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's pretty ignorant to knock Bowers out while keeping Poehling or even elevating him.

14G 17A 31P
17G 15A 32P

Can you even pick out the difference in stats between them? And Poehling is a sophomore. I get Bowers was like the anti-hype pick everyone wrote off but he had one of the best freshman seasons in the NCAA, not sure why he can't get any credit.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
2016-2017: 1.52ppg
2017-2018: 1.6ppg

So you are correct it was a very minor improvement. But really though, lets take off those glasses. He isn't moving up whatsoever. For the people drafted ahead of him, I'd say he has an argument to be picked above Josh Norris. That is it. He however, gets passed by: Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Frost, Jokiharju and Hague just to name a few.

In hindsight, I probably should have put him in the 26-30 range.
take what glasses off??

he played 9 NHL games this year, you don't think that throws off a players season coming back to a team he didn't practice with in the CHL for weeks? Then left again and played at the WJC...come on man get some perspective. you were proven wrong and you throw out that nonsense to try and cover your ass.....got it!

and thanks for your hindsight- call it what you like but..you were WRONG/still are.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
take what glasses off??

he played 9 NHL games this year, you don't think that throws off a players season coming back to a team he didn't practice with in the CHL for weeks? Then left again and played at the WJC...come on man get some perspective. you were proven wrong and you throw out that nonsense to try and cover your ass.....got it!

and thanks for your hindsight- call it what you like but..you were WRONG/still are.

You have a clear bias towards American players, and that is even more evident when you think Yamamoto should move up :laugh:

All I'm seeing are excuses when other players have improved significantly. How about this, you tell me who he passes. I'm excited to see your response. Cause you could probably argue he passes Norris or Rasmussen, but that is it really. Then plenty of talented players who I have previously mentioned should pass him.

Try to not get too upset when someone has a different opinion than you, it isn't a good look.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I can already tell this thread is going to be full of people who made up their mind about Rasmussen a year ago and are either too lazy or too prideful to change it.

Dude is getting seriously underrated. He's had an excellent development season and is in the NHL next season.

His pt/gm barely changed from last season. For a top 10 pick who is staying in the same league, that is ...bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad