2017 NHL Prospect Tournament Sept. 8-12

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Who cares about the score? It's about possession. This DRW team is brutal at possessing and skating with the puck. They can chip it in and win board battles, but they cannot actually control the puck like skilled players do. That's a major problem. This isn't 1995.

That's exactly what happened in game 1, "but their players were faster and more skilled with the puck."

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That's exactly what happened in game 1, "but their players were faster and more skilled with the puck."
I didn't really think so, TBH. They won a lot of board battles because Carolina was fairly careless defensively and with the puck, but I didn't see anything from the Wings in game 1 that would make me think they're playing a skilled type of hockey. They played dump and chase that game, for the most part.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I didn't really think so, TBH. They won a lot of board battles because Carolina was fairly careless defensively and with the puck, but I didn't see anything from the Wings in game 1 that would make me think they're playing a skilled type of hockey. They played dump and chase that game, for the most part.

So in the game in which they dominated possession and shots by playing a pro style system that's a negative because the other team was was faster and more skilled? That makes no sense.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Who cares about the score? It's about possession. This DRW team is brutal at possessing and skating with the puck. They can chip it in and win board battles, but they cannot actually control the puck like skilled players do. That's a major problem. This isn't 1995.

If you follow your own logic, you should be extremely happy with their showing against Carolina. That game looked like Det vs Col from the late 90's. We had triple the shots and the vast majority of possession, but they scored off the rush. Though our goalie wasn't great, 4 out of their 6 goals were a screen shot on the PP, 2 on 1 where the dman didn't cover the pass (ie an empty net tap in), a breakaway and an empty net with the goalie pulled. To say they beat us with more skill/speed is just laughably inaccurate.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Debrincat with the toe drag and game winning goal. Chicago's skill is on display with their breakouts, nice crisp tape to tape passes. They pass/carry the puck into the offensive zone and look organized and skilled. Looks like they are on the power play in the offensive zone playing 5v5.

By contrast most of what Detroit does comes in fits and starts. None of our d-men stand out moving the puck. None of our forwards show good puckhandling or passing. It's yet another example how rebuild on the fly combined with being big - at the expense of all else - will likely result in a very long rebuild.

But hey, at least we won a fight! :nod:

This analysis makes me doubt you actually watched the games.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't fault people for using this tournament as an evaluation tool for prospects they don't normally get to watch. A sample size of two games, however, is a recipe for inaccurate or incomplete evaluations (unless you just want to spit out the obvious like Givani Smith is slow and Alex Holmstrom can't skate).

I have watched five periods of the tournament plus bits and pieces of some of the other games. The tournament is really, really sloppy hockey on most fronts with tons of turn overs and very little defensive communication and structure. This applies to all of the teams I have watched, not just the Wings. You see some good individual efforts and splashes of creativity that end up going nowhere.

I don't think we brought a particularly strong team to this tournament, at least in terms of forwards. We just don't have a lot of high-skill offensive prospects in the system. I don't really know why people were expecting something different from this group in that regard. Our defense, however, has struggled much more than I thought they would, at least through two games. I think his has more to do with people trying to do too much than actual player deficiencies. The fingers are crossed that they show a bit better in the next two games and into camp.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You do realize that even the best possible prospect tournament team would likely only have a handful of players that go on to make an impact in the NHL? The way a prospect roster that's thrown together for a short development tourney plays isn't really indicative of the direction of the main club. Out of this roster, few or no one other than Ras/Cholo/Svech/Hronek/VS are likely to be more than a 4th line fill-in or 3rd pairing type. And all of those 5 seem capable of playing skilled hockey.

Yeah, this batch of forwards are a bit unskilled after Ras/Svech, but having a bunch of Jurco/Frk/Pulkkinen-type prospects that look skilled on this level doesn't really mean much for the future of a franchise.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
So far, the PP looks a lot better and more creative. The goaltending looks a lot less shaky. The PK looked very good. Overall the team looks more engaged. The announcers mentioned Ras hasn't played competitively since February :amazed:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So far, the PP looks a lot better and more creative. The goaltending looks a lot less shaky. The PK looked very good. Overall the team looks more engaged. The announcers mentioned Ras hasn't played competitively since February :amazed:

They also mentioned he hates plums.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Really liking Cholowski's game think he's gonna have a big year. He's so smooth out there

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I looked at the schedule and thought the game started at 7 CST :(

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Well said. As a whole they look more composed. Even with the penalties the game is slightly less frantic.

Hronek, VS, Svech, Cholo, Rasmussecn, even Sadowy, et... these guys can play. Hronek skates a lot like Rafalski did- he's that strong. Really confident and involved every shift, the guy is a gamer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad