2017 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hamilton is clever enough by now to finish lower when necessary. Even if Vettel wins all the remaining races it's still enough for Hamilton to finish 4th in one race and 5th in all the rest.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Today Toro Rosso confirmed Gasly will not run next week at the USGP, and he will be replaced by.........they haven't decided. I say Palmer for the laughs.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Today Toro Rosso confirmed Gasly will not run next week at the USGP, and he will be replaced by.........they haven't decided. I say Palmer for the laughs.
Palmer scoring points in a TR would be way too funny. It's a shame that there's almost zero chance RB would allow Leclerc to drive for them. Button would make sense since he's driven this season and I think Mclaren would be fine with that.

Does the RB program actually have anyone with enough superlicence points to drive?

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The internet tells me it will be Hartley or Buemi. I guess that means RB doesn't have anybody ready to go.

From a purely marketing standpoint, I'd run Alexander Rossi. An American, former Indy 500 champ running a one off in Texas for one last race in an F1 car. Liberty Media, the fans and the track would love that. Never happen, of course, but that would be interesting.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Looked like Verstappen cut the corner on the last lap overtake tbh.

And as I write that, Verstappen is under investigation.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Looked like Verstappen cut the corner on the last lap overtake tbh.

And as I write that, Verstappen is under investigation.

5 Second time penalty

Fair enough, as a Verstappen fan I can really have no real reason to be upset with the drive. I am glad he at least tried at the end there, and that's really all you can ask for. Great drive from him :D

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
People are upset because there were 2394 corner cuts/limits exceeded throughout the course of the weekend - including that exact corner. I understand the call though.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The introduction of all the drivers was hilarious. Love to know who gave Buffer those nicknames. Loved Croft after it all was over. "If you couldn't tell already, we're in America".

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Oh Lord those intros. Was it..I want to say the Renault drivers that when their names were announced they just had two dudes up on the roof dressed like Renault drivers jumping into the air.

The f*** was any of that.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Behind the scenes.

Everyone on Twitter is crying about the penalty but that was a clear corner cut
Verstappen is very unlikeable in the way that he himself can never do nothing wrong. Imagine if that situation was the other way around and Raikkonen didn't get a penalty, Max would've been screaming bloody murder.

People are upset because there were 2394 corner cuts/limits exceeded throughout the course of the weekend - including that exact corner. I understand the call though.
None of the previous lead to an overtake though. Track extending varies from track to track and they agree on the limits at the drivers briefing (on Friday?). Corner cutting doesn't have much leeway, you'll get a penalty eventually if you do it too many times. Overtaking off-track is something Verstappen should've learned in karting already.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Hey I agree with you. As much as I'd prefer Verstappen to podium compared to Kimi he definitely pushed the limits the acceptable ranges.

I've just seen a lot of people posting the photo of Sainz on a Force India...

ofxn9.jpg

He didn't make the pass so it's a pretty weak argument but it's what most of Twitter is pointing towards. I think Max probably could've force the pass legally though. Would have been tight...but I think he might've been able to make it work.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Max is guilty as charged, but that was still a hell of charge through the field.

Also today, Torro Rosso named Gasly and Hartley for the Mexican GP, Kvyat back out.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hey I agree with you. As much as I'd prefer Verstappen to podium compared to Kimi he definitely pushed the limits the acceptable ranges.

I've just seen a lot of people posting the photo of Sainz on a Force India...

He didn't make the pass so it's a pretty weak argument but it's what most of Twitter is pointing towards. I think Max probably could've force the pass legally though. Would have been tight...but I think he might've been able to make it work.
Had Sainz pulled off that overtake on Ocon, there would've been a penalty on him 100%. Corner cutting during an overtake is very black & white.

I think what happened with Verstappen going so much faster than Raikkonen on that corner, was that Max disappeared from Kimi's mirrors when he went off-track and Verstappen being the known kamikaze that he is, made Raikkonen slow down. There was a speed difference on the run to that corner, but Kimi had been fine on the previous 2-3 laps and on the last lap looked to lift off or brake earlier. It would've made more sense to go around the outside on fresher tyres anyway, you can't expect to dive to the inside on that fast corner and expect both cars to make it through.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Massa publicly trying to keep his drive might be one of the sadder and transparent things I've seen in awhile.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Also today, Torro Rosso named Gasly and Hartley for the Mexican GP, Kvyat back out.
Kvyat scores points and gets kicked out again. Is Hartley out if he crashes in Mexico or Brazil, Kvyat back in?

RB should just release Kvyat and leave him be, stop kicking the guy that's already on the ground.

Massa publicly trying to keep his drive might be one of the sadder and transparent things I've seen in awhile.
Idk, he might be trying to make a case that father Stroll doesn't want a driver that's a threat to his son. Massa has beaten Stroll in most races, Kubica is a feel good story and di Resta is hopeless. Massa has declined no doubt, but probably still the best out of those three.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Kvyat scores points and gets kicked out again. Is Hartley out if he crashes in Mexico or Brazil, Kvyat back in?

RB should just release Kvyat and leave him be, stop kicking the guy that's already on the ground.

Idk, he might be trying to make a case that father Stroll doesn't want a driver that's a threat to his son. Massa has beaten Stroll in most races, Kubica is a feel good story and di Resta is hopeless. Massa has declined no doubt, but probably still the best out of those three.

Massa is also the best mentor for Stroll I would think.

I dunno. Williams seems like they may want to move on but to me Massa is the best option.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Hartley supposedly has a deal waiting in IndyCar, but if he's finishing the season with STR (not to mention two remaining WEC races), I'd guess he would be a frontrunner for STR with Kvyat out.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Red Bull have released Kvyat, he's no longer part of their programme
Hopefully he gets a shot with another team, but it's very unlikely. Williams would be interesting.

Hartley supposedly has a deal waiting in IndyCar, but if he's finishing the season with STR (not to mention two remaining WEC races), I'd guess he would be a frontrunner for STR with Kvyat out.
I can't see RB keeping him for next season, TR is meant to be a team for young drivers. Hartley is probably one of the oldest, if not the oldest driver they've had.

RB's young drivers program is looking empty though, no prominent drivers to fill that second seat. Independent young driver that can bring in money and has no ties to other teams, maybe?

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Replying to myself, Hartley's potential 2018 IndyCar seat is now gone, so it looks a little more likely he's auditioning for a full time ride with STR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad