2017 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Awesome post, thanks for it!

My next question is how would you rank the cars with their drivers? For example I see that Renault is 7th on the list and they've always had a middle of the pack car. However, when they had Alonso, and how good of a driver he was, he won the championship in 2005.

Also why did McLaren leave Mercedes?
Renault was a top team in the mid 2000s though. Idk if they were ever the team, but certainly they were the most consistent of the three (Renault/Ferrari/McLaren). McLaren especially had a lot of reliability issues pretty much the whole time Kimi was there from 2002-2006.

McLaren didn't actually leave Mercedes, it was the other way around IIRC. The Mercedes engine was so OP in 2014 and when the factory team itself rose to the top, they knew that McLaren was the only customer team that could challenge them eventually if Mercedes kept supplying McLaren. So there wasn't bad blood or anything, Mercedes just didn't want to supply a competitor anymore.

Tier 1: Hamilton and Vettel.
<gap>
Tier 2: Ricciardo, Verstappen and Alonso.
Tier 2.5: Bottas and Raikkonen.
Tier 3: Hulkenberg and Perez.
<gap>
Tier 4: Grosjean, Ocon, Sainz, Magnussen, Massa, Vandoorne and Stroll.
Tier 5: Wehrlein, Kvyat and Gasly.
<huge gap>
Tier 6: Ericsson and Palmer.

Tier 1 is self explanatory, as is tier 2. Bottas is too well rounded to be in the first two tiers; he does everything well enough, but at the same time doesn't really stand out at anything. Kimi is and has been on the decline for several years now. Hulkenberg and Perez have been near the top for many years, despite driving for worse teams. Tier 4 is a crapshoot on any given day. Grosjean hasn't been as good as he was in 2013. Ocon is rising and should be in tier 3 soon enough, Sainz and Vandoorne probably too. Magnussen is stuck in no man's land and his driving style (TL;DR, he's a dick) isn't doing him any favours. Stroll is tough to say, he has been better, but is he still getting the most out of that car? Massa isn't exactly the greatest measuring stick either, the guy already had his other foot out the door last year. Wehrlein is a mystery, lots of promise, but he could be without a seat next year. Force India didn't want him because he wasn't as mature as Ocon. Kvyat is talented, but has run out of rope, which is a shame. Ericsson is a classic example of a paydriver. Palmer is.. well Palmer.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What are the opinions here of Daniil Kvyat? :D
Well, he didn't get his nickname 'the Torpedo' for nothing. His career has been going downhill for quite some time now. He actually beat his team Riccoardo in 2015 at Red Bull so he definitely is not "useless". Then 2016 happened. After getting a podium in China, Vettel was absolutely furious at him because he thought he caused the crash between Vettel and Kimi, which ruined Kimi's race. Then the next race in Kvyat's homeland, Russia. Kvyat locks his brakes and runs into Vettel's car. At this point I think Vettel had a puncture but could continue. But not for long; 10 seconds later Kvyat runs into Vettel again and puts him out of the race. Not only that, he also ruined his team mate Ricciardo's race as well since Vettel's car hit him.

Week later, in the Spanish Grand Prix it is Kvyat's car that crosses the finish line but it's not him who's driving; he got booted back to Toro Rosso while 18-year-old Max Verstappen goes on to win his Red Bull debut. After that Kvyat was absolutely lost. He was emotionally broken and couldn't get it back together, constantly getting beaten by Sainz. He also publicly said he is broken.

Now he got replaced by Pierre Gasly in the Malaysian Grand Prix and it's hard to imagine his career continuing after all this.

Skip that to 40 seconds, it tells perfectly what Kvyat was going through the whole 2016 season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Well, he didn't get his nickname 'the Torpedo' for nothing. His career has been going downhill for quite some time now. He actually beat his team Riccoardo in 2015 at Red Bull so he definitely is not "useless". Then 2016 happened. After getting a podium in China, Vettel was absolutely furious at him because he thought he caused the crash between Vettel and Kimi, which ruined Kimi's race. Then the next race in Kvyat's homeland, Russia. Kvyat locks his brakes and runs into Vettel's car. At this point I think Vettel had a puncture but could continue. But not for long; 10 seconds later Kvyat runs into Vettel again and puts him out of the race. Not only that, he also ruined his team mate Ricciardo's race as well since Vettel's car hit him.

Week later, in the Spanish Grand Prix it is Kvyat's car that crosses the finish line but it's not him who's driving; he got booted back to Toro Rosso while 18-year-old Max Verstappen goes on to win his Red Bull debut. After that Kvyat was absolutely lost. He was emotionally broken and couldn't get it back together, constantly getting beaten by Sainz. He also publicly said he is broken.

Now he got replaced by Pierre Gasly in the Malaysian Grand Prix and it's hard to imagine his career continuing after all this.
I made a similar post about Kvyat after the Gasly news broke that was lost in the migration, Kvyat definitively has a lot of talent. It's just been one mental disaster after another and no one has been there for him. He doesn't have a mentor, he doesn't have a close relationship with any of the current veteran drivers and does he even have any close family members to lean on? I remember that his mother was there often when he was still in GP3, but I don't remember seeing her at the F1 races (then again, Kvyat's pit area isn't shown much).

Looking back, he probably could've used another season or two with Toro Rosso before the move to Red Bull, though Verstappen forced their hand anyway. The problem was that when the likes of Buemi/Alguersuari/Vergne failed and Ricciardo had already been promoted, Kvyat was the number 1 prospect in the RB system at the time.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
US broadcast of F1 leaving NBC Sports for ESPN 2018.

If we didn't have a filter on here, I'd tell you how much I hate this.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Did ESPN outbid them, or NBC doesn't want F1 anymore?
Apparently NBC wanted a longer term, Liberty Media has stated their plans to go to a streaming subscription platform sooner than later, so that ended negotiations.

I've read reports that since ESPN has zero in house writers/producer/on air F1 employees, they will just be rebroadcasting the world feed, but that's not confirmed. One writer suggested this may actually be a no fee contract for 2018 only. It's filler for off hours for ESPN. NBC actually promoted F1. I'll miss getting all FPs, qualifying, an hour prerace, post race and several features they would run during race/testing weeks.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Apparently NBC wanted a longer term, Liberty Media has stated their plans to go to a streaming subscription platform sooner than later, so that ended negotiations.

I've read reports that since ESPN has zero in house writers/producer/on air F1 employees, they will just be rebroadcasting the world feed, but that's not confirmed. One writer suggested this may actually be a no fee contract for 2018 only. It's filler for off hours for ESPN. NBC actually promoted F1. I'll miss getting all FPs, qualifying, an hour prerace, post race and several features they would run during race/testing weeks.
If they're showing the British feed (Sky Sports?), there's still a chance they could show everything. Unless ESPN has said it's tape delayed or/and only a portion is shown?

The Finnish channel that shows F1 (and has done so for the past two decades) decided to have the commentating done from back home since 2016, there's only a handful of races (most of them are in Europe anyway) where the whole crew travels to. Usually it's just one reporter and a cameraman at the scene. Being involved in F1 broadcasting might seem like a job with no drawbacks, but it can take a toll on your family life.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Yeah it will be like it is here on TSN. They just show the Sky Sports feed.

They do promote it to a certain extent, but we don't get all the practices and pre/post race interviews and all that.. We usually get the Saturday qualifying and the race.

During the Canadian GP we get a lot more coverage.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah it will be like it is here on TSN. They just show the Sky Sports feed.

They do promote it to a certain extent, but we don't get all the practices and pre/post race interviews and all that.. We usually get the Saturday qualifying and the race.

During the Canadian GP we get a lot more coverage.
I've never seen Sky Sports F1 coverage in the US, so I can't comment, but NBC covers F1 with their American viewer in mind. The NBC crew is British with one Aussie, (three out of four live in the US) and all very knowledgeable in the sport. I'd rather have Sky coverage, I guess, than ESPN hiring some hack and butchering it like they do everything else.

I know this is just an American (or me) problem, so I apologize knowing there is an international group of posters on here. Just a shame that F1 interest in the US was on the uptick, especially with Haas in the field.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
GP2 & GP3 are at Jerez this weekend, I was too young when F1 still raced there to properly remember that how interesting the races were. If F1 was anything like these GP2/GP3 races, we aren't missing much.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I think it's safe to say that Vettel is having a tough month or so.

- The Ferrari sandwich with Max...

- starting from the back only to finish respectfully...only to then run into Stroll...blame Stroll...then have new video come out to suggest it probably wasn't on Stroll...

- start second..have zero power...get passed by everybody and then a retirement

Just awful stuff.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Well, there goes the championship. In other news, if anyone wants to pick up tickets to the Canadian GP next year, they're running a special promotion today only. 20$ for a general admission ticket. Regular price is 100$.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Hmmmm. It's been on my bucket list to go to the Montreal race. Maybe I'll jump on that even if I was thinking of something other than GA.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Well, there goes the championship. In other news, if anyone wants to pick up tickets to the Canadian GP next year, they're running a special promotion today only. 20$ for a general admission ticket. Regular price is 100$.
Link pls

I bought GA for this year’s race and planned on getting an actual seat next year but for $20... f*** that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If Vettel wins the remaining four races, he'd have 347 points. I can't see Hamilton scoring less than 41.
It's not going to happen unless something happens to Lewis which makes him miss the rest of the season. It's a shame, the title fight was looking interesting just a few races ago.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Well. I mean Vettel has had a string of races I wouldn't think possible so I suppose that in theory...it could happen to Hamilton too. Seems very unlikely but not impossible.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Mercedes will not need to change their car much anymore, so sudden and severe reliability issues should be out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad