Prospect Info: 2017 Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I could see Arizona going from 7 to 3. They have lots of picks and prospects, not sure about roster players Dallas would be after. I'd say they are the most likely of any team to flip for that pick.

And even they shouldn't. Beyond Patrick and Hischier, everyone is a mish-mash. If I were any team, I wouldn't deal Dallas for the 3OA, because frankly, there are so many conflicting reports about these players. You could hold steady at 7 or 9OA and land a better player than 3OA this year.

I mean, before he had mono, Liljegren was talked about at 2OA. Then, he was less impressive coming back from the illness and questions about his hockey IQ popped up.
And from what I've seen (admittedly only glances here and there, but Heiskanen isn't heads and tails better than anyone else.

There isn't any player in this draft that will be there at 3OA that is so good you'd pay the price it would take to get there, unless Dallas takes a far below market value trade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And even they shouldn't. Beyond Patrick and Hischier, everyone is a mish-mash. If I were any team, I wouldn't deal Dallas for the 3OA, because frankly, there are so many conflicting reports about these players. You could hold steady at 7 or 9OA and land a better player than 3OA this year.

I mean, before he had mono, Liljegren was talked about at 2OA. Then, he was less impressive coming back from the illness and questions about his hockey IQ popped up.
And from what I've seen (admittedly only glances here and there, but Heiskanen isn't heads and tails better than anyone else.

There isn't any player in this draft that will be there at 3OA that is so good you'd pay the price it would take to get there, unless Dallas takes a far below market value trade.

If we moved up to #3 I don't even think I'd want Heiskanen, I would want Vilardi. I think if Vilardi stayed healthy all year he could have competed for the #1 pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We seem to be scouting in the Czech Republic very hard with these UDFA signings. Would not be surprised at all if we took Necas and then Chytil or Safin.

Edit-- I guess Sulak is techncially from the Austrian league, but Machovsky is from the Czech league...

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We seem to be scouting in the Czech Republic very hard with these UDFA signings. Would not be surprised at all if we took Necas and then Chytil or Safin.

Edit-- I guess Sulak is techncially from the Austrian league, but Machovsky is from the Czech league...

I could get behind a Necas-Chytil double pretty easily.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

To pile onto this idea of a trade being bad, I'm not sure what Dallas could realistically stand to gain, either. I mean, they seem to need help on D. With the 3rd pick, they will essentially have their pick of D for this draft. I can't imagine they'd get that great of a good, young D back in a deal, or a forward. So....why trade out of that spot?

Dallas doesn't have a bad club, but it's not like they couldn't use a high pick.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

I could get behind a Necas-Chytil double pretty easily.

I agree. And I would be very ok with that.

Now if the Wings could get Brannstrom with those two...I'd be a happy poster.

Necas-Chytil would make me forget the team needs defense.

valleyboy

Feb 10, 2015
I agree. And I would be very ok with that.

Now if the Wings could get Brannstrom with those two...I'd be a happy poster.

Necas-Chytil would make me forget the team needs defense.

I doubt that is going to convince Detroit brass that 4 goals in a large ice second league is a batman and robin scenario down the road in detroit. Most NA jr guys would hit a next level of speed playing in that league, put up better numbers (4 goals would probably = healthy scratch in NA), and have as much success dropping down a few age groups playing in a U18 tourney after playing at the faster pace most of the year. Good players yes - I like their skating, they are good prospects, but stating no need for D in the prospect pool in Detroit is a bit over the top.

I'd prefer the combo of skill (20+ goals), size, and ceiling of Misley 6'2 (oakville), Evans 6'2 (st Michaels), Davis 6'3 (Niagara Falls) or Downie 6'4 (Niagara Falls) as members of a 3 year rebuild project in Detroit. These are the only 4 guys that were 6'2" or bigger, that, in their draft year put up 20 or more goals in the leagues NAHL, USHL, SIJHL, CCHL, NOJHL, GOJHL, and OJHL - 4 guys. At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with big, skilled guys that can put the puck in the net, that can really move, do what it takes to get the puck over a blue line, and don't mind playing around the blue paint.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I doubt that is going to convince Detroit brass that 4 goals in a large ice second league is a batman and robin scenario down the road in detroit. Most NA jr guys would hit a next level of speed playing in that league, put up better numbers (4 goals would probably = healthy scratch in NA), and have as much success dropping down a few age groups playing in a U18 tourney after playing at the faster pace most of the year. Good players yes - I like their skating, they are good prospects, but stating no need for D in the prospect pool in Detroit is a bit over the top.

I'd prefer the combo of skill (20+ goals), size, and ceiling of Misley 6'2 (oakville), Evans 6'2 (st Michaels), Davis 6'3 (Niagara Falls) or Downie 6'4 (Niagara Falls) as members of a 3 year rebuild project in Detroit. These are the only 4 guys that were 6'2" or bigger, that, in their draft year put up 20 or more goals in the leagues NAHL, USHL, SIJHL, CCHL, NOJHL, GOJHL, and OJHL - 4 guys. At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with big, skilled guys that can put the puck in the net, that can really move, do what it takes to get the puck over a blue line, and don't mind playing around the blue paint.

Huh???? (Assuming this is directed at Chytil)

Hronek had 0 goals and 4 pts total in his draft year and looks great right now. Necas only had 7 goals. These kids are playing like 8-9 minutes a night, of course they're not going to put up a ton of points.

With Euro prospects playing in men's league it's mostly about skill sets and how they project. You also left out how Chytil had 5 pts in 5 games at the WJC 18 and was one of Czech's best players against his age group.

Last edited:

valleyboy

Feb 10, 2015
Huh???? (Assuming this is directed at Chytil)

Hronek had 0 goals and 4 pts total in his draft year and looks great right now. Necas only had 7 goals. These kids are playing like 8-9 minutes a night, of course they're not going to put up a ton of points.

With Euro prospects playing in men's league it's mostly about skill sets and how they project. You also left out how Chytil had 5 pts in 5 games at the WJC 18 and was one of Czech's best players against his age group.

All good prospects. Hronek had a good year in the O... last year was his draft year. Offensive upside at D. Detroit should be excited about his progress. Scheiffle had a good year in Winnipeg. What I was getting at is everyone has different preferences regarding prospects and where they played during their draft year. Four goals inspired me enough to make a comment re the d statement made. I suspect that whoever drafts Chytil will be looking for a CHL team to place him. Maybe he will put up 20+... just seems strange that some EU guys get hyped and drafted and deemed big (6'0) and skilled (4goals) and get to prove themselves in the year after their draft year. Why should that seem ok to all the kids playing Jr in NA that are performing in their draft year? Like I said, I like his skating. Don't know much more. He could be the next big star.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
All good prospects. Hronek had a good year in the O... last year was his draft year. Offensive upside at D. Detroit should be excited about his progress. Scheiffle had a good year in Winnipeg. What I was getting at is everyone has different preferences regarding prospects and where they played during their draft year. Four goals inspired me enough to make a comment re the d statement made. I suspect that whoever drafts Chytil will be looking for a CHL team to place him. Maybe he will put up 20+... just seems strange that some EU guys get hyped and drafted and deemed big (6'0) and skilled (4goals) and get to prove themselves in the year after their draft year. Why should that seem ok to all the kids playing Jr in NA that are performing in their draft year? Like I said, I like his skating. Don't know much more. He could be the next big star.

Euro Men's leagues are different if your stat watching.

It might not seem all that good, but thats good production for the age they are.

Also, Chytil or Necas could go directly to the AHL. Kinda like how Tatar did.

And nowhere did anyone mention them as big.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd personally prefer Pettersson or Glass over Necas. I've been doing a bunch of research of late (dobbers, the hockey news, tsn draft coverage). I think both Glass and Pettersson have the potential to be electric offensive talents. Obviously when talking about 18 year old kids, there's a bit of a gamble, I just think if we pass on Glass or Pettersson for Necas we could be making a mistake.

I still think we should be thinking D. If either Makar or Heiskanen slip to 9, its a no brainer. I think they're both gone pick #6 or 7 at the latest though. Liljegren is obviously a wildcard, but I'd be ok if we rolled the dice on him, although many recent rankings and mocks have him slipping to mid-first round. Valimaki also interests me although at 9 it's a bit of a reach.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd personally prefer Pettersson or Glass over Necas. I've been doing a bunch of research of late (dobbers, the hockey news, tsn draft coverage). I think both Glass and Pettersson have the potential to be electric offensive talents. Obviously when talking about 18 year old kids, there's a bit of a gamble, I just think if we pass on Glass or Pettersson for Necas we could be making a mistake.

But... why?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Of the Swedish prospects I would rank Pettersson higher than Liljegren, if someone gives Pettersson a sandwich and some ironscrap to lift, he will be a good NHL player with soft hands.

Dahlin next year though will be something else.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But... why?
As always, there's a wide variety of opinions on this draft, but I concur. Glass and Petterson (Glass, in particular) strike me as being more creative and having a higher ceiling on offense than Necas does.

But hey, as long as they don't chase a guy for things like size and being "safe" (as opposed to either starting the rush for D or creating in the zone for C), I can't really harp on anything, since it seems to be such a crapshoot.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
If we moved up to #3 I don't even think I'd want Heiskanen, I would want Vilardi. I think if Vilardi stayed healthy all year he could have competed for the #1 pick.

really, really liked Vilardi's game too.
Great centerman to toss w/ Mantha and whoever and allowing Larkin to supplant on the wing or be that better 2nd line centerman in the future.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As always, there's a wide variety of opinions on this draft, but I concur. Glass and Petterson (Glass, in particular) strike me as being more creative and having a higher ceiling on offense than Necas does.

But hey, as long as they don't chase a guy for things like size and being "safe" (as opposed to either starting the rush for D or creating in the zone for C), I can't really harp on anything, since it seems to be such a crapshoot.

I haven't really seen anyone criticize his creativity or offensive ceiling. That's why I'm looking for a little more substance as to where this is coming from.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Corey Pronman's top ten players for the 2017 draft.

1 Nico Hischier C Halifax QMJHL
2 Nolan Patrick C Brandon WHL
3 Gabriel Vilardi C Windsor OHL
4 Cody Glass C Portland WHL
5 Nick Suzuki C Owen Sound OHL
6 Owen Tippett RW Mississauga OHL
7 Eeli Tolvanen RW Sioux City USHL
8 Miro Heiskanen D HIFK Liiga
9 Klim Kostin C/LW Dynamo Moscow KHL
10 Kristian Vesalainen LW/RW Frolunda SHL

He has Timothy Liljegren ranked at #13

I would still draft Liljegren over everyone above him. It sounds like he has a higher ceiling than everyone else, but has been performing poorly this year.

Zero interest in any of the wingers and the centers i do want are already gone by the time the Wings draft.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
According to this website Liljegren will most likely be heading to North America when a team drafts him in a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure if it changes anything for teams drafting - I'm thinking it helps them to keep a closer eye on his development.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Liljegren is such a love it or hate it pick. One one hand you have someone with enormous potential that had a down season which spooked everyone. On the other hand can the wings afford to have another high pick bust. I still think if he is on the board at 9 and it looks like he will be that the wings should go for it. If he busts though one could not easily quantify the enormity of that setback.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Liljegren is such a love it or hate it pick. One one hand you have someone with enormous potential that had a down season which spooked everyone. On the other hand can the wings afford to have another high pick bust. I still think if he is on the board at 9 and it looks like he will be that the wings should go for it. If he busts though one could not easily quantify the enormity of that setback.

I can see why you would say that : Sheahan (21st OA), McCollum (30th OA), Smith (27th OA) and Kindl (19th OA) haven't really panned out as planned for 1st rounders in the last couple of years. I'm not sure that any of them were seen as a high risk, either. But Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov has looked promising. I think the last couple of years, the drafting has been better and whoever the Wings pick at 9th, I'll be able to live with it, be it Liljegren or someone else (just not a goalie :laugh: ).

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I wouldn't touch Liljegren with a 10' pole @ #9. If he's available in the 2nd round I would risk the 2nd.

Petterson is the boy to take at #9. He should be a middling top 6er in a crappy draft. You take him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have some concerns on Liljegren, you never like to hear a player has questionable decision making.

That said, I trust Hakan's judgement more than any poster on this site, or any of our NA scouts. So it would be hard for me to be mad at that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad