Prospect Info: 2017 Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I haven't really seen anyone criticize his creativity or offensive ceiling. That's why I'm looking for a little more substance as to where this is coming from.

I see them all as being skilled, high IQ players with Pettersson probably having the most of each attribute (and the most risk in terms of being an NHL center). I am a big fan of Glass but would not exactly call him super creative (unless creative simply means great vision and passing skill).

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I wouldn't touch Liljegren with a 10' pole @ #9. If he's available in the 2nd round I would risk the 2nd.

Petterson is the boy to take at #9. He should be a middling top 6er in a crappy draft. You take him.

Agreed 100 %.
This is the draft to take a center with our first pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wings take vesalainen according to mckeens. Kings take pettersson

Sweet, more non-elite wingers.

Vesalalainen is projected in the early 20's so if Holland is drafting him doesn't make much sense with the #9 pick but would consider Green for Edmonton's #22 pick if he's still on the board then.

They released a ranking, not a mock draft. They had Vesalainen at #9.

Unless I'm missing something, they didn't have the Wings taking anyone. Saying someone is your #9 ranked prospect isn't the same thing as a mock draft saying Detroit is taking Vealainen.

Guyver

May 30, 2017
Another newbie

Hi Folks,

I finally made the plunge and signed up. I have been following the Red Wings for the better part of 40 years and hfb for about 8 years.

It is a shame at what the team has evolved into. They used to be so much fun to watch. Total domination most games with over the top puck possession.

I like to see them alwaya winning but thet severely need some high end talent. Hopefully they can get some good picks in the next couple years and at least be entertaining to watch.

I will try not to be too big of a thorn in anybody's side. There seems to be alot of wisdom from many members on this site.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This is a great read, excellent insight into the draft + scouting process:
https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/ten...-of-amateur-scouting-paul-castron/c-289689520

Thanks for sharing that, I liked that quote about Cody Glass.
Hi Folks,

I finally made the plunge and signed up. I have been following the Red Wings for the better part of 40 years and hfb for about 8 years.

It is a shame at what the team has evolved into. They used to be so much fun to watch. Total domination most games with over the top puck possession.

I like to see them alwaya winning but thet severely need some high end talent. Hopefully they can get some good picks in the next couple years and at least be entertaining to watch.

I will try not to be too big of a thorn in anybody's side. There seems to be alot of wisdom from many members on this site.

Welcome! :thumbu:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Sweet, more non-elite wingers.

Yeah I don't see that happening. The last time the wings picked a winger that may have not had high end potential in the first round was in 1992 I believe. Mantha had high end potential and svechnikov/other ones they picked had some time at center as well. Could be wrong

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
They released a ranking, not a mock draft. They had Vesalainen at #9.

That's what I get for just taking the other poster's word for it and not clicking through. Makes more sense, though that still seems rather high, in comparison to other rankings?

Yeah I don't see that happening. The last time the wings picked a winger that may have not had high end potential in the first round was in 1992 I believe. Mantha had high end potential and svechnikov/other ones they picked had some time at center as well. Could be wrong

Don't totally disagree, but I feel like the team plays BPA over need a lot, and I wouldn't be surprised (disappointed, but not surprised) if they decide that one of the pure wingers (none of whom strike me as having a higher top end than Mantha/Svech/Nyquist/Tatar) represent that BPA this year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hi Folks,

Welcome aboard we've lots of fun on here.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

2-3 of the projected C's in the top 10 will end up wings too... It happens a lot. You have to take your chance on a big C if you have that chance. Especially with Larkin poised to be the #2 it seems. If he ultimately ends up a wing, so it goes. You have to take that shot though.

Guyver

May 30, 2017
Center Prospects

Firstly, thanks to those who welcomed me aboard. Much appreciated.

I am really confused on who to pick this year. We need a good defenseman so badly. Are none of these guys an immediate upgrade? I cannot believe that TL has fallen off so much. Why wasn't his hockey IQ questioned before now? Or is it just lingering effects from mono?

I keep seeing guys wanting to pick a center. Are the guys that would be available to us a noticeably better prospect than Larkin?

Sorry to depend on you guys so much but I now live in the mountains of Panama and my only option for internet is satellite. I only have a 4 Mb service and that doesn't stream too well. Pretty much have to download games and then watch them. I guess it is the price you pay to live in paradise.

I pretty much keep up on the Wings at this site and I sure appreciate the effort you folks put into it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I am really confused on who to pick this year. We need a good defenseman so badly. Are none of these guys an immediate upgrade? I cannot believe that TL has fallen off so much. Why wasn't his hockey IQ questioned before now? Or is it just lingering effects from mono?

I keep seeing guys wanting to pick a center. Are the guys that would be available to us a noticeably better prospect than Larkin?

Sorry to depend on you guys so much but I now live in the mountains of Panama and my only option for internet is satellite. I only have a 4 Mb service and that doesn't stream too well. Pretty much have to download games and then watch them. I guess it is the price you pay to live in paradise.

I pretty much keep up on the Wings at this site and I sure appreciate the effort you folks put into it.

Are any of the dmen better then the ones on roster now? Maybe Timothy but highly unlikely. There's a bunch that are likely better in the future. Also mono plays a part in it for TL

None of the prospects are really any better then Larkin cause they all have the #2 ceiling it seems except the ones we won't be able to draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
#9 pics over the years
2010 Minnesota Mikael Granlund-C
2011 Boston Dougie Hamilton -D
2012 Winnipeg Jacob Trouba -D
2013 Vancouver Bo Horvat -C
2014 Winnipeg Nikolaj Ehlers -L
2015 San Jose Timo Meier -R
2016 Buffalo Alexander Nylander

I am so exiting , we should get someone very good

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Don't expect immediate help from this draft. Realistically, anyone we take is probably three years out from playing in the NHL. A couple could make it in less time, but not much less.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I've wanted Pettersson for about 1.5-2 years, though I didn't think it would be possible back then. He's worth the risk, the upside could be huge.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pettersson or Liljegren are 1a and 1b for me. Guys who are flawed but have arguably the highest upsides. I guess Glass would be my #3.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Glass/Pettersson/Liljegren would all be pretty acceptable, out of the guys who seem like they might be available. Liljegren would make me the most nervous, but I think he has the highest ceiling, so maybe that's ok. I'm still nervous about Pettersson not being an NHL C, but I don't think there's anyone potentially available where that's not a concern at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe a poll?

Make more people pick just one guy, a prediction I guess.

EDIT: although I agree with those picks, but I want Brannstrom.

Hard to lock in just 1 player in this draft, because of how uncertain it is after the top 2 relative to other drafts.

I'd lock in Glass. But Glass could go #3 or #10. So I have to hedge that bet by saying Glass or Necas.

I plan on doing another one of those "who would you have drafted" threads afterwards, it's much easier at that point for me to say the 1 guy I would have taken at our draft slot. After seeing how everything falls before our pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->