2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
This year I think Vilardi is my top choice if we have the option. What are the chances he falls to 7?

From the sounds of it, I'm guessing he'll go between 3-5, 6 at the latest. If I had to wager a bet, I'm thinking Colorado snags him at #4, but I wouldn't put it past Dallas to snag him at #3 since they have relatively young D-men at the moment and Vilardi seems better than Mittelstadt. Of course top 5 should be BPA, so I suppose Heiskanen could squeak in there. Either way, he'll most likely be gone by 7. Now, if he is available at #5 or #6, I'd definitely be offering a decent package to move up, but others will as well. Best likelihood of that happening is if he drops to #6 but I'm pretty sure Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, LA, Carolina, or Winnipeg would be willing to offer up more than we would.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, a small advantage in that area is a team trading down from 3,4,5, or 6 isn't going very far back if they trade to 7. Good chance a top guy on their list is still there. Not sure that's true trading down farther past us.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We need both Heiskanen and someone else like Makar or Petersson or Tippett to go top 6 to have a shot.

Agreed. Vacouver is pretty much the wild card in this situation, so we should just trade with them on draft day if Vilardi is still there; I'm just not sure of the cost.

I would be fine with #5 for #7 + #78? or #7 + #69, but probably not #7 + #35 or #7 + #23 unless more is involved.

They do have #33 and #55 along with #64, #95, #112, so I could work with that:
#7 + #23 for #5 + #33, #7 + #35 for #5 +#55, #7 + #35 for #5 + #64?

I suppose a deal could work somehow without players/prospects being involved.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Regarding Mittelstadt and his combine efforts - really this just kind of also shows who has been in a weight room and who hasn't. Gives them something to work on, but also gives teams an understanding if player X is getting by on functional strength alone or if some of their success is built off of them having an excellent program of training and conditioning off-ice.

Chychrun seemed like one of those examples of players who probably started hitting the weight room at age 15. Possibly even earlier. Just goes to show that no matter what age you are at, there are still things that need to be worked at on and off ice. Very few players are truly polished products, outside of the top 2 or 3 selections each draft. Mittelstadt may be able to play at a high level, but with less bulk, he will wear down quickly.

I think Vilardi is someone we look at moving up to #4 for. If Mittelstadt makes it to #7, I see no problem with taking either him or Glass (if available). If all of those centers are gone, I see no issue with trading back with Detroit or some other team so that they get the defenseman they want, and we move back slightly but basically get the same player we would plan to pick at #7 (Tippett, Necas, etc.)

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
http://thehockeywriters.com/emptying-the-2017-nhl-combine-notebook/

It’s not often that a prospect admits that a team had dinner with them. That was the case for Martin Necas (ranked 5th on the European skaters list.) He told me the Detroit Red Wings had dinner with him. This of course is no guarantee he gets drafted as their first-round pick, but it’s intriguing to see this as it does express a level of interest higher than usual.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Still have a 7th round pick to select, but here's the results so far from one HF mock I'm in. I swapped 35 + 128 with Carolina for 42 + 73.

Needless to say this was just about a pitch perfect draft for me. I'd be extremely happy already if the Yotes draft turned out this way after just their first three picks.

1(7) - Gabe Vilardi, C/RW, Windsor (OHL)
1(23) - Conor Timmins, RHD, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
2(42) - Joni Ikonen, C/RW, Frolunda HC (SHL)
3(69) - Markus Phillips, LHD, Owen Sound (OHL)
3(73) - Keith Petruzelli, G, Muskegon (USHL)
3(78) - Fabian Zetterlund, C/RW, Farjestad BK (SHL)

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Lets hope this happens

Still have a 7th round pick to select, but here's the results so far from one HF mock I'm in. I swapped 35 + 128 with Carolina for 42 + 73.

Needless to say this was just about a pitch perfect draft for me. I'd be extremely happy already if the Yotes draft turned out this way after just their first three picks.

1(7) - Gabe Vilardi, C/RW, Windsor (OHL)
1(23) - Conor Timmins, RHD, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
2(42) - Joni Ikonen, C/RW, Frolunda HC (SHL)
3(69) - Markus Phillips, LHD, Owen Sound (OHL)
3(73) - Keith Petruzelli, G, Muskegon (USHL)
3(78) - Fabian Zetterlund, C/RW, Farjestad BK (SHL)

:handclap:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Alright, here goes. Below are my top 100 players for the 2017 draft. For the top 10, I included a brief write up and comparisons to a couple guys. The next 40 got shorter write-ups and single comparisons, and then it's a straight ranking the rest of the way.

Goalies are not included in my rankings. That's not to say that none of them deserve to be taken in the top 100 (though that's the case for almost all goalies, in my opinion). It's just that I have no faith in my ability to evaluate goalies. Positions listed refer more to how I project them as pros than what they've done so far. Comparisons are stylistic and not a projection of career production.

I've spent more time on this this year than I usually do, and I feel more confident about the overall rankings than I have in the past few years. A few general findings:

• The lack of high end talent in this draft is mostly overstated. It's missing a generational talent for sure, but likely top pick Nico Hischier is every bit the prospect Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, and Aaron Ekblad were coming into the draft.
  • Outside the very top of the draft, this one is average to above average for the top 20 or so and definitely on the stronger side into the 60s or 70s. Good draft to accumulate picks.
  • Last year, I had 6 tiers just in the first round. This year, my top 6 tiers stretch to the 70 picks. That's not to say that the 70th player this year is as good as last year's 30th, just that there's a lot more parity this year among players.

Anyway, here:

Tier 1

1. Casey Mittelstadt, Center
Total package on offense: electric puck skills, sneaky release, top end vision, endless motor. Confidence and hands usually only seen in much smaller players. Phenomenal both in transition and on the cycle. Committed on defense. Less proven than other top guys given competition, but he shouldn't need more than a year at Minnesota before his NHL debut. No apparent weaknesses against HS or USHL players.
Comp: Evgeny Kuznetsov / Jonathan Drouin
2. Nico Hischier, Center
Game-breaking speed and the hockey sense to use it most efficiently. Not as flashy as you might expect, but his hands can keep up with his feet (even if few defenders can). Prototypical “new NHL†forward.
Comp: Matt Duchene / Henrik Zetterberg
3. Cody Glass, Center
Late bloomer with very high potential. Powerful skater with and without the puck. Responsible in his own end and makes his teammates better in the offensive zone. Excellent production but well developed in the subtle areas of the game, too. Great hockey sense. Has a playing style that projects well as he gets bigger.
Comp: Mark Scheifele / Ryan Johansen
4. Miro Heiskanen, Left Defense
Makes up for lack of size with excellent four-way mobility and stick work. Heavy, accurate shot that he can get off quickly and work through traffic. All-situations defender. Won't standout with flashy plays but is an effective defender against much bigger forwards and makes responsible plays with the puck.
Comp: Hampus Lindholm / Duncan Keith
5. Gabriel Vilardi, Right Wing
A bit leadfooted but makes up for it with strength and high end hockey sense that make him valuable at both ends of the ice. Good shot and an absolute terror on the boards. Won't ever be the catalyst on his line, but he will make his linemates better with his smarts and physical play. Can contribute in any role, with enough skill to keep up with top six players.
Comp: Nick Foligno / Matthew Tkachuk

Tier 2

6. Nolan Patrick, Center
Bull of a center with a strong hockey IQ. Questionable motor, but great versatility otherwise. Plays an old school game. Good shooter but great passer. Combination of power and skill make him excellent on zone entries. Injuries are a concern.
Comp: Sean Couturier / Jordan Staal
7. Eeli Tolvanen, Right Wing
He's a shot machine, pure and simple. An outstanding finisher in close for his size, but he has the release and confidence to fire it from just about anywhere. Needs to work on his play away from the puck but his goal-scoring potential is as high as anyone's in the draft. A lock to at least be an effective powerplay scorer.
Comp: Nikita Kucherov / David Pastrnak
8. Ryan Poehling, Center
Heady power center with a strong two-way game and some untapped offensive upside. Moves well for his size and possesses deceivingly good hands and hockey sense. Underused as a freshman resulting in low production, but showed flashes of dominance in tournament play.
Comp: Anze Kopitar / Ryan Getzlaf
9. Klim Kostin, Right Wing
Sky-high potential. Powerful scoring wing. Decent skating for a big guy, tenacious on the boards, imposing on the rush. Shoulder injury knocks him down a peg but it's rare to find a player with his combination of size, intensity and skill.
Comp: Rick Nash / Patrick Marleau
10. Elias Pettersson, Center
Relies more on smarts than speed or strength, but a well-rounded center regardless. Great playmaker and a very advanced defensive game. Production against physically developed players mitigates some of the concern, but there is legitimate worry about the projectability of his frame.
Comp: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Pavel Datsyuk
11. Martin Necas, Center
Dazzling, high intensity offensive creator. Likes to be in control on offense and has the skills to make it count. Good lower body strength allows him to maintain possession in traffic.
Comp: Nathan Mackinnon

Tier 3

12. Joni Ikonen, Right Wing
Off-the-charts hockey sense allows him to score in a variety of ways. Better off the puck in the offensive zone, but high IQ gives him great playmaking ability. Versatility combined with high motor make him a very dangerous offensive player. Defense needs work but the effort is there. Undersized and weak but willing to get to the middle and has the hands, balance and agility to be effective in tight quarters.
Comp: Nikolaj Ehlers
13. Owen Tippett, Right Wing
I still have some questions about his hockey sense, but his skating and shot are already NHL quality, and while I tend to prioritize hockey sense above any other individual trait in evaluating prospects, it's less important for players of his type (rush-scoring power wings) than just about any other. At any rate, he's a safe bet to at least be a useful goal scorer. Very much a north-south player, but he is an underrated passer and can be a very patient possession guy.
Comp: Evander Kane
14. Nick Suzuki, Right Wing
Do-it-all forward with a terrific motor, though he tends to rely more on smarts than sheer force of will, especially against bigger players. Always one step ahead of his opponent. Difficult to knock off the puck once he gets going.
Comp: Derek Stepan
15. Erik Brannstrom, Left Defense
Undersized but heady two-way defenseman. Plays hard on defense and can move the puck up ice well. Pesky at both ends. Thinks the game well and plays a sharp technical game on defense.
Comp: Kimmo Timonen
16. Timothy Liljegren, Right Defense
Effortless skater with phenomenal puck skills. Better raw tools than any defenseman in the draft. Defensive game is more refined than most give him credit for, but decision-making with the puck is very inconsistent. If you draft him high, it's because you have faith you can develop his mental game.
Comp: Morgan Rielly

Tier 4

17. Ostap Safin, Left Wing
Lanky but coordinated. Knows how to use his size to protect the puck. Inconsistent effort level, but very difficult to contain when he's bringing it.
Comp: Jamie Benn
18. Kristian Vesalainen, Left Wing
Rangy power forward with good hands and wheels. Offensive skills are raw but promising, but he should at least be a consistent two-way guy in the middle six.
Comp: Loui Eriksson
19. Kole Lind, Right Wing
Exceptional two-way game and a nose for the net. Above average physical game. Very safe bet to be a strong second line wing.
Comp: Nino Niederreiter
20. Cale Makar, Right Defense
A bit of a project, but his offensive skills are off the charts. High end PP quarterback. Will be an excellent transition defenseman. Questions about level of competition he's faced are exacerbated by decision to go to a second tier college program. Definitely needs some coaching on the defensive side.
Comp: Shane Gostisbehere
21. Lias Andersson, Center
Hard-nosed pain-in-the-ass to play against, but doesn't look out of place in an offensive role. Not the sexiest prospect, but effective in all situations.
Comp: Antoine Vermette
22. Robert Thomas, Center
High-IQ playmaker with intriguing upside. Productive given his role.
Comp: Vincent Trocheck
23. Alex Formenton, Left Wing
Speedster who produced well as a rookie with bottom six minutes in London. One of the youngest players in the draft. Needs to develop his play away from the puck, but he doesn't want for effort and the scoring upside is huge.
Comp: Michael Grabner
24. Jason Robertson, Left Wing
Pretty slow but makes up for it with solid board work and a reliable wrist shot. Smart defensive player. Projects as a middle six offensive contributor. With the right linemates, he could be a very effective secondary scorer at the next level.
Comp: Mark Stone
25. Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Center
Smart, efficient two-way forward who can keep up with skill guys. Unselfish, team-first player can play any role up front. One of the youngest guys in the draft.
Comp: Nazem Kadri
26. Filip Chytil, Left Wing
Patient, soft-handed wing. Very committed in his own end. Uses his teammates well.
Comp: Jakub Voracek
27. Juuso Valimaki, Left Defense
Brilliant offensive defenseman with size. Smart and mobile with decent puck skills. Doesn't need to take big risks to produce. Very deliberate and cerebral.
Comp: Cam Fowler
28. Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Left Defense
Decent production in a limited role. Plays a smart, efficient offensive game and tends to make the right decision defensively.
Comp: Nick Leddy
29. Jonah Gadjovich, Left Wing
Intelligent wing knows how to score. Solid shot and skills but gets by primarily on smarts. Pretty good power game, too.
Comp: Kyle Okposo
30. Conor Timmins, Right Defense
Well-rounded defender with a steady transition game and a bit of a mean streak.
Comp: Jason Demers
31. Henri Jokiharju, Right Defense
Slick offensive defenseman with a refined transition game, both as a puck carrier and with long passes on the tape. Heady but not super flashy. Strong board work.
Comp: Anton Stralman
32. Maxime Comtois, Left Wing
Punishing power wing. Strong two-way game and great tools, but production has been underwhelming. Could have untapped offensive potential but there's a high floor as a valuable defensive forward.
Comp: Marcus Foligno
33. Nicolas Hague, Left Defense
Strong skater for his size and knows how to muscle players away from the net. Offensive upside is iffy but he's got a heavy slapshot when he can get it off. Willingness to pinch deep but has the hockey sense and mobility to do it without taking too big a risk.
Comp: Cody Franson
34. Isaac Ratcliffe, Left Wing
Raw skills but loads of potential. Great off the cycle and a strong willingness to get to the net.
Comp: Blake Wheeler
35. Markus Phillips, Left Defense
Highly mobile with sharp puckmoving skills. Plays bigger than his size. Came on big in the second half.
Comp: Drew Doughty
36. Antoine Morand, Left Wing
Waterbug type with excellent hockey sense. Shifty but not a perimeter player.
Comp: Alex Burrows

Tier 5

37. Josh Norris, Center
Plays a 200-foot game with speed and tenacity. Decent enough offensive instincts to be a top six center. Versatile skill set.
Comp: Frans Nielsen
38. Kailer Yamamoto, Right Wing
Undersized, but skill for days. Not quite as shifty or quick as the elite little guys that have been coming through recently, but still a projectable game.
Comp: Viktor Arvidsson
39. Callan Foote, Right Defense
Not as mean as you want him to be, but knows how to use his size efficiently. Effective skater but still raw with the puck on his stick. Very smart defensive player.
Comp: Andrej Sustr
40. Grant Mismash
Skilled for a banger. Makes his linemates better. Works hard in the corners.
Comp: Chris Kunitz
41. Max Gildon, Left Defense
Big shot and projectable offensive skills, but decision-making needs some work. Size and skill package gives him a relatively high floor.
Comp: Cody Franson
42. Kirill Maksimov, Left Wing
Big righty came alive after a midseason trade. Frustrating consistency issues but could have big offensive upside.
Comp: Chris Kreider
43. Ivan Lodnia, Right Wing
Sneaky offensive playmaker from the wing. Smart player usually a step ahead of the opposition.
Comp: Ales Hemsky
44. Marcus Davidsson, Left Wing
Tenacious forechecker with an advanced defensive game. Not the most skilled with the puck, but difficult to stop once he gets moving.
Comp: Jason Zucker
45. Aleksi Heponiemi, Center
Inconceivably wiry but undeniably skilled. Quick hands and outstanding playmaking ability.
Comp: Mike Ribeiro
46. Jesper Boqvist, Left Wing
Strong, speedy skater. Terrific compete level. Can contribute in lots of little ways.
Comp: Tobias Rieder
47. Mason Shaw, Left Wing
Tiny but makes up for it with great vision and quick decision-making.
Comp: Artemi Panarin
48. Matthew Strome, Left Wing
Lead-footed but knows how to use his size to his advantage. Excellent cycle game. Smart player with good vision.
49. Michael Rasmussen, Center
Makes the most of his size despite other limitations. A lot for opponents to deal with.
Comp: Martin Hanzal
50. Adam Ruzicka, Left Wing
Frustrating consistency issues but could just be his adjustment to North America. Otherwise, he's got everything you want: size, mobility, tenacity, hands. Tantalizing upside.
Comp: James Van Riemsdyk

Tier 6

51. Urho Vaakanainen, Left Defense
52. Scooter Brickey, Right Defense
53. Shane Bowers, Center
54. Nicholas Henry, Right Wing
55. Josh Brook, Right Defense
56. Evan Barratt, Left Wing
57. Scott Reedy, Center
58. Alexei Lipanov, Center
59. David Farrance, Left Defense
60. Luke Martin, Right Defense
61. Jack Studnicka, Right Wing
62. Jonas Ronbjerg, Right Wing
63. Jonathan Smart, Left Defense
64. Nikita Popugaev, Left Wing
65. Morgan Geekie, Right Wing
66. Cale Fleury, Right Defense
67. Austen Keating, Center
68. Tyler Steenbergen, Left Wing
69. Linus Nyman, Left Wing
70. Patrick Hrehorcak, Left Wing
71. Dylan Samberg, Left Defense
72. Alex Chmelevski, Right Wing
73. Patrick Khodorenko, Center

Tier 7

74. Morgan Frost, Left Wing
75. MacAuley Carson, Left Wing
76. Lane Zablocki, Center
77. Rickard Hugg, Left Wing
78. Eemeli Raasanen, Right Defense
79. Lukas Elvenes, Right Wing
80. Fabian Zetterlund, Right Wing
81. Igor Shvyrev, Center
82. Pavel Shen, Right Wing
83. Samuel Bucek, Left Wing
84. Artem Minulin, Right Defense
85. Petrus Palmu, Right Wing
86. Robin Salo, Left Wing
87. Mackenzie Entwistle, Right Wing
88. Maxime Fortier, Right Wing
89. Stelio Mattheos, Right Wing
90. Denis Smirnov, Right Wing
91. Mikey Anderson, Left Defense
92. Ivan Kosorenkov, Right Wing
93. Joel Teasdale, Left Wing
94. Nate Knoepke, Left Defense
95. D'Artagnan Joly, Right Wing
96. Reilly Walsh, Right Defense
97. AJ Pratt, Right Wing
98. Greg Meireles, Right Wing
99. Nate Schnarr, Right Wing
100. Jarret Tyszka, Left Defense

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Outstanding post, Pho. As mentioned previously, I've pretty high on Tolvanen so it's interesting you have him as high as 7. I believe that's higher than most major lists I've seen.

I think there is a very good chance the Coyotes get somebody from your Tier 1.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Alright, here goes. Below are my top 100 players for the 2017 draft. For the top 10, I included a brief write up and comparisons to a couple guys. The next 40 got shorter write-ups and single comparisons, and then it's a straight ranking the rest of the way.

Don't you ever sleep? :)Great job.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for reading, everyone! I can't say for sure that I won't keep making adjustments until draft day, but since the combine is over and everyone is finished playing, I don't think anyone will move too much. A few thoughts going into the draft:

Hischier and Patrick seem like a lock to go first and second. As long as at least one of the next four goes against the grain a bit and picks outside the Vilardi/Glass/Mittelstadt/Heiskanen, the Coyotes could end up with a legit blue chip prospect (assuming they pick one of them, which is not remotely a given). I'm feeling more anxious about it than I have since '04, when I was hoping for Tukonen, expecting Olesz, and just praying they didn't take Montoya. I hope my scouting abilities have advanced since then.

The 23rd and 35th picks are where it gets more interesting. I expect at least one will be moved, if only to trade up or down a little, but this is a legitimately deep draft. There will be guys available into the late 3rd that could have been early 2nds last year, in my view. A few candidates at those spots that I've really grown fond of include:

• Erik Brannstrom
  • Joni Ikonen
  • Ostap Safin
  • Kole Lind
  • Alex Formenton
  • Filip Chytil
  • Markus Phillips
  • Max Gildon

My main worries at this point are basically a) taking Makar or Rasmussen too early and b) loading up on "safe," low ceiling forwards. This is a good draft to aim for upside.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Man great job Pho, we're pretty lucky to have a journalist who is really into prospects and just happens to actually be a Coyotes fan!

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Awesome job..!

The more I look at these prospects .. I am really liking Necas more and more...the posesson . faceoffs, tenacity

Especially After hearing Babcock's speech at the Memorial cup about prospects being able to hold on to the puck.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Hell of a list Pho. Took over a day to digest, but it has helped me solidify my list.

One thing on Tippett. To me he seems like a player that needs to play in a competitive environment to play to his ceiling. I know that shouldn't give him many excuses, but if he plays to this ceiling are we looking at a speedy power forward who isn't afraid to crash the net, shoot and cause chaos. Or are their fundamentals in his skillset that would prevent him to being a Wheeler clone?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Hell of a list Pho. Took over a day to digest, but it has helped me solidify my list.

One thing on Tippett. To me he seems like a player that needs to play in a competitive environment to play to his ceiling. I know that shouldn't give him many excuses, but if he plays to this ceiling are we looking at a speedy power forward who isn't afraid to crash the net, shoot and cause chaos. Or are their fundamentals in his skillset that would prevent him to being a Wheeler clone?

I don't think Tippett has much Wheeler in him, to be honest. He's a guy who will speed down the wing and, if he has the puck, usually fire it on net. He'll shoot from anywhere. It's rare that he'll look for the pass and rarer that he'll curl back and let the play develop on a cycle. His willingness to shoot from wherever is a good thing on balance, but he can kill an opportunity by wiring a shot from distance and losing possession. If he can't develop a more dynamic offensive skill set, he could become very easy to contain.

He's already got pro size and speed (though his skating apparently regressed a bit this year, perhaps due to added size). His two-way play is very much a work in progress, but I don't expect him to ever become a plus defensive player. As a breakout threat, though, he can keep opposing offenses at bay. His value will come from his offensive contributions. Again, he's a myopic north-south player at this point, but on that alone, he could be put up 20-25 goals. If he scores 25 but is also a defensive liability and a drag on his linemates' production, though, that's only so valuable. It all depends on how you project the rest of his game to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad