2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The lack of any one particular prospect standing out at 7 just makes me more interested in moving it for immediate help.

I doubt we're going to get offered anyone worthwhile, even if we packaged the pick with a prospect. We'll probably just get offers to move down to the teens, which I may be open to, but only if Glass, Mittlestadt, and Vilardi are all gone.

In general, there's no need to make any moves with the 7OA until we're actually on the clock on Draft Day.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I have no experience in watching any of the possible draft picks as of yet (I'll take a look closer to the draft), but from the discussion, I'm guessing with the complexity and expertise of our analytics team, they won't draft Makar at 7. I think it will be an odd pick (like Callan Foote--6'4, 212, RHD) after possibly trading down a bit.

From the conversation, I think Necas is more likely than Makar.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
In general, there's no need to make any moves with the 7OA until we're actually on the clock on Draft Day.

I definitely agree with that. It will be a "wait and see who's left on our list" situation.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have no experience in watching any of the possible draft picks as of yet (I'll take a look closer to the draft), but from the discussion, I'm guessing with the complexity and expertise of our analytics team, they won't draft Makar at 7. I think it will be an odd pick (like Callan Foote--6'4, 212, RHD) after possibly trading down a bit.

From the conversation, I think Necas is more likely than Makar.

Foote will probably be a solid, steady shutdown 3/4D in his prime. Not a bad thing to go after in the back half of the 1st, but he's not a guy I'd trade down for.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
A comparison of Glass's draft year with Ryan Johansen's draft year:

C-s1vWtUAAA03PR.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A comparison of Glass's draft year with Ryan Johansen's draft year:

Glass is a much more urgent style of player than Johansen, who probably has more in common with Strome.

Hopefully the franchise lands one of Mittlestadt, Glass, or Vilardi. I could definitely settle for Tippett or Necas as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hopefully the franchise lands one of Mittlestadt, Glass, or Vilardi. I could definitely settle for Tippett or Necas as well.

I'd be thrilled with Vilardi, but the guys I'm hoping Chayka is looking at are Necas and Liljegren. Of course, I was also hoping they'd draft Strome and that hasn't turned out great for us as of right now, so maybe what I want is not what's best.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd be thrilled with Vilardi, but the guys I'm hoping Chayka is looking at are Necas and Liljegren. Of course, I was also hoping they'd draft Strome and that hasn't turned out great for us as of right now, so maybe what I want is not what's best.

The success of Chychrun will have teams double checking their math on Liljegren. I doubt he falls to the Minny pick and he's a cut below the other names at 7.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The success of Chychrun will have teams double checking their math on Liljegren. I doubt he falls to the Minny pick and he's a cut below the other names at 7.

I'm not going to write him off yet - if Chayka wants him, maybe he does another Chychrun move and trades up if Liljegren is within range of the Minny pick. After all, we could use a dead contract or two to get us up to the cap floor.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tampa might want to move Garrison's contract. Same thing with the Jets and Enstrom.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
My hope as well. We'll have an outside shot at it as long as Heiskanen goes top five.

Heiskanen wouldn't be a bad pick, either. There's obviously not an urgent need for a LHD, but it would be good insurance if OEL walks, Chychrun regresses or Goligoski falls off a cliff. He can play the right side anyway, but I'd guess he's a year or two away from NHL duty. At any rate, he's far and away the best defenseman in the draft and has the potential to be a legitimate top pairing guy.

The nightmare scenario in my eyes is Patrick, Hischier, Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt and Heiskanen all going in the top 6. If any of those guys is available, it's an easy decision, but it gets a little trickier once they're all off the board. As of now, I'd go Tolvanen in that situation, but I'd be much happier with any of the others.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The nightmare scenario in my eyes is Patrick, Hischier, Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt and Heiskanen all going in the top 6. If any of those guys is available, it's an easy decision, but it gets a little trickier once they're all off the board. As of now, I'd go Tolvanen in that situation, but I'd be much happier with any of the others.

Yep. Once again the Yotes are possible besties with the dreaded N+1 position in the draft.

I don't think I'd mind Heiskanen at 7 but I don't see him getting past the Avs. And since he's a teammate of Roope Hintz you'd have to assume the Stars have done their homework on him already.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think mynhldraft.com has it pegged perfectly:

1. NJD-Nico
2. PHI-Nolan
3. DAL-Heiskanen
4. COL-Vilardi
5. VAN-Glass
6. VGK-Mittelstadt
7. ARI-???????????

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's not inconceivable they'll waive if asked. Most players don't want to stay in a place that's looking to move them.

Not inconceivable they'll waive. But given that both are getting up in age, its more likely they'll only waive for contending teams.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

1. NJD-Nico
2. PHI-Nolan
3. DAL-Heiskanen
4. COL-Vilardi
5. VAN-Glass
6. VGK-Mittelstadt
7. ARI-???????????

Sakic and Benning could certainly go off script and either go D or go with someone like Rasmussen or Tippett. Also, McPhee might roll the dice on a D given those take longer to develop.

But at this point that order appears to be the likeliest outcome.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

1. NJD-Nico
2. PHI-Nolan
3. DAL-Heiskanen
4. COL-Vilardi
5. VAN-Glass
6. VGK-Mittelstadt
7. ARI-???????????

If that is the way it goes my choice is Liljegren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad