2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I feel like Vilardi projects to be Dvorak 2.0. That seem about right or am I underrating him? To be clear I'm totally ok with that as I like Dvorak, just trying to align my expectations properly should they end up with Vilardi.

Vilardi is more of a tank than Dvorak.

If Dvorak projects to be somewhere between ROR and Stepan than Vilardi would be more similar to a Hovart and Pavelski.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If I may ask do you think Arizona would draft Heiskanen at 7 or go for C/Liljegren instead?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If I may ask do you think Arizona would draft Heiskanen at 7 or go for C/Liljegren instead?

Heiskenan. I don't think until coaching issue is clarified we will have an idea on whether OEL wants to sign and we have no choice but to go BPA.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Heiskanen would be BPA and I wouldn't expect him to be there at 7.

Heiskenan. I don't think until coaching issue is clarified we will have an idea on whether OEL wants to sign and we have no choice but to go BPA.

I'm a big Heiskanen fan and just for fun have tried to play few different scenarios where he could go, and drop if he gets past Dallas/Colorad as it sounds like Colorado is really high on Makar and Dallas could be more in the win now window.

Vancouver won't take him, Benning and the rumours have been pretty clear it's either playmaking C or Makar/Liljegren(offensive pp D-prospect), Vegas won't start their journey with a Finnish D-man, I bet they go for C and for D-prospect at 13th(Valimaki?), but then Arizona has been a ? at 7 to me.

(He still should go top4, but how far could he drop if he doesnt).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm a big Heiskanen fan and just for fun have tried to play few different scenarios where he could go, and drop if he gets past Dallas/Colorad as it sounds like Colorado is really high on Makar and Dallas could be more in the win now window.

Vancouver won't take him, Benning and the rumours have been pretty clear it's either playmaking C or Makar/Liljegren, Vegas won't start their journey with a Finnish D-man, I bet they go for C and for D-prospect at 13th(Valimaki?), but then Arizona has been a ? at 7 to me.

(He still should go top4, but how far could he drop if he doesnt).

Chayka is 100% about BPA and it'd be a no brainer, he wouldn't get past the Coyotes. Hell, he only has Kevin Connauton to beat out for a job.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL
Goligoski
Chychrun

I anticipate that the new coach (please let it happen) won't give a **** about handedness and will put out the best guys, moving Goligoski to the right and Chychrun up to the 2nd pair. I expect Murphy to get traded at some point.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chayka is 100% about BPA and it'd be a no brainer, he wouldn't get past the Coyotes. Hell, he only has Kevin Connauton to beat out for a job.

OEL+Chychrun+ Heiskanen should challenge for best top3 in the NHL quite soon.

Heiskanen to me has #1D potential. Played against top competition in Liiga, both special teams and posted team(D-group) leading adv.numbers as a 17y. Was called his teams best D-man by his coach and by multiple Liiga fans.
Elite skating, IQ, smooth hands& great defensively.

His weaknesses were considered size& slap shot but at close to 6'1 size concern is gone, and slap shot could just improve as he gains strenght and mass, he's 172lbs today.

OEL
Goligoski
Chychrun

I'd still take Heiskanen but he's got a rougher road a hoe than KConn

He can play RD but that was my thinking on could they go for Liljegren/Pettersson/Vilardi instead.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Meh slap shot as a weakness is no biggie. Wrist shots are more effective from the point often anyway.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Reactionary nonsense because we traded Smith. Somehow the answer is a goalie that's 5yrs away. As though we couldn't have our pick of the litter on available young NHL goalies today with that 23rd pick.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Went through THN’s top 100. Here’s the breakdown by team, in terms of how many of those top 100 each team drafted:

8: VGK
6: AZ
5: PHI, LAK
4: VAN, SJ, CHI, CAR, MTL, EDM, ANA, NJ
3: FLA, BUF, TOR, NSH, DAL
2: BOS, COL, MIN, NYR, OTT, STL, WPG, CGY, TB, DET
1: CBJ, NYI, PIT
0: WSH

6 THN picks went undrafted:

65: Artyom Minulin, D, WHL
74: Jesse Koskenkorva : C, Finland
87: Rickard Hugg, C, Sweden