2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Mittelstadt is not fat. He also doesn't look weak. I'm going to guess his poor pull-ups/bench press results were injury, illness, or fatigue related. He looks like an average first round forward at the combine (physically speaking).

https://youtu.be/XunXNUQe218

He has a gut going on. Looks like a baby. Connor Murphy syndrome.

I don't like projects that go to Minny for obvious reasons.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
His comments about liking the idea of being drafted by Vegas are encouraging. My main fear is him deciding that he's going to stay a Gopher until they win a title. And then deciding he'd rather just play for the Minnesota Wild instead of Arizona. His sentimentality about his HS team is VERY off-putting to me. UNLESS this means he's loyal like Doan. And if we take him at 7th, he'll imprint on us and convince himself that he needs to be ultra loyal to us also. I just worry he's simply afraid to leave home.

My secondary concern is that there's at least a 50% chance he's yet another LW. Puke.

I'd rather draft Hischier, Vilardi, Makar, Necas, Glass and even Patrick over Mittelstadt. Eh. Maybe he's tied with Patrick.

I don't like Patrick at all. He doesn't strike me as at all motivated or passionate. It seems like a job already. Like he doesn't actually WANT to be doing any of this.

From everything I've read about/from Mittelstadt, going back to high school had more to do with his friends on the team than the school itself. Strikes me more as a maturity thing (maybe even homesickness) than a loyalty thing.

Patrick has always been offputtingly laid back. It comes through in his play, too. I think it's more that he's just a mellow dude than anything, but I don't think it suggests a lack of commitment or anything like that.

Lias Andersson - 5'11", 200 lbs
Joni Ikonen - 5'11", 176 lbs

I had seen Ikonen listed anywhere from "a generous 5'9"" to a hair under 6' even, so that's good to see. He's probably the guy I want most at 23. Off-the-charts hockey sense and a nonstop motor.

For me it's:

1.Makar
2.Heiskanen
3.Liljegren
4.Valimaki
5.Hague
6.Jokiharju
7.Brannstrom

All of them would be in my top 31.

The defensemen in the first round for me:

1. Heiskanen (#5)
2. Brannstrom (#15)
3. Liljegren (#16)
4. Makar (#21)
5. Valimaki (#28)
6. Joseph (#29)
7. Timmins (#30)
8. Jokiharju (#31)

Hague, Phillips, Foote, Gildon, Vaakanainen, Brickey, Brook, and Smart make the cut for the second round.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lias Andersson looks exactly like a blonde version of an 18yo Tom Cruise. Keep that kid outta Tampa. Don't want those folks in Clearwater getting their hooks into him!

rt

May 13, 2004
The interesting thing to me about this draft is that after Hischier, the next 10 players would be good 4th or 5th or 6th overall picks in average drafts. Hischier would be a good 2nd or 3rd overall. It's really just missing that allure of a great top two or three. But then it gets really strong really quick before dropping right off a cliff again after 45-50.

rt

May 13, 2004
He has a gut going on. Looks like a baby. Connor Murphy syndrome.

I don't like projects that go to Minny for obvious reasons.

I'm really quite pathetic. The amount of flack he's taking is making me want to draft him. Being a fan of this team makes me only want players and prospects that fans of other teams hate and **** on. It's clearly what's drawing me to Makar and now that Mittelstadt is taking heat I want him too.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I had seen Ikonen listed anywhere from "a generous 5'9"" to a hair under 6' even, so that's good to see. He's probably the guy I want most at 23. Off-the-charts hockey sense and a nonstop motor.

He tops my list at 35 (although I've been able to trade down into the 40s and still land him in mocks). But I also think he's a 1st round talent and can very well be another Viktor Arvidsson. To my eyes Ikonen may be the best pure goal scoring talent in this draft behind Tippett and Tolvanen. I know Yotes brass have invested in European scouting last year, so I'm really hoping Ikonen is on their radar.

This would have been a great year to have another 2nd.

Hague, Phillips, Foote, Gildon, Vaakanainen, Brickey, Brook, and Smart make the cut for the second round.

Brickey and Gustav Lidstrom are big late round sleepers for me. I'm hoping they're still around in the fifth but I'd start considering these guys in the third.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Joshua Norris and Morgan Frost did really well in testing. Pettersson more explosive for his weight than you'd expect but he still lacked strength.

1st - Pettersson
2nd - Yamamoto
3rd - Heponiemi

The all development brigade.

rt

May 13, 2004
Joshua Norris and Morgan Frost did really well in testing. Pettersson more explosive for his weight than you'd expect but he still lacked strength.

1st - Pettersson
2nd - Yamamoto
3rd - Heponiemi

The all development brigade.

I'd be just fine with that. I'm really very hard to disappoint this draft.

NO. DUMB. TRADES. <---that's it.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As much as I dislike adding another LHD, I'm kind of liking Valimaki if we trade down a bit

Last edited:

Coyotes Crusader

Jul 1, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
His comments about liking the idea of being drafted by Vegas are encouraging. My main fear is him deciding that he's going to stay a Gopher until they win a title. And then deciding he'd rather just play for the Minnesota Wild instead of Arizona. His sentimentality about his HS team is VERY off-putting to me. UNLESS this means he's loyal like Doan. And if we take him at 7th, he'll imprint on us and convince himself that he needs to be ultra loyal to us also. I just worry he's simply afraid to leave home.
My secondary concern is that there's at least a 50% chance he's yet another LW. Puke.

I'd rather draft Hischier, Vilardi, Makar, Necas, Glass and even Patrick over Mittelstadt. Eh. Maybe he's tied with Patrick.

I don't like Patrick at all. He doesn't strike me as at all motivated or passionate. It seems like a job already. Like he doesn't actually WANT to be doing any of this.

Couldn't agree more with your concerns about Mittlestadt running out the clock. I don't want us to get "Wheelered" twice.

Coyotes Crusader

Jul 1, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm really quite pathetic. The amount of flack he's taking is making me want to draft him. Being a fan of this team makes me only want players and prospects that fans of other teams hate and **** on. It's clearly what's drawing me to Makar and now that Mittelstadt is taking heat I want him too.

So you're invoking a kind of M&M strategy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Makar is too small. Better play it safe and take Liljegren.

Makar: 5'11.25 187
5th Vertical Jump
10th standing long jump

Liljgren: 5'11.25 190
17th Vertical Jump
8th Standing long jump

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Lol nice !

I am kind of warming up to Nekas ... He seems like a face off king.

I also dont mind the idea of Tippett as I think we need more people to actually shoot the puck.

Also wondering if this is the year we draft one of the top goaltenders ?

rt

May 13, 2004
Screenshot_2017-06-03-22-13-56-1.png.52a42ddcd09d79a952691d9bc76c69e5.png

Omfg!!! DEDDD!!! Haha. I want this kid so bad now. Hahah. Please draft!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

5th Vertical Jump
10th standing long jump

17th Vertical Jump
8th Standing long jump

:laugh::laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

5th Vertical Jump
10th standing long jump

17th Vertical Jump
8th Standing long jump

I'd be very happy if we got Makar. I think he's my preference(of players that may realistically be avaliable) as of right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad