2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Mittlestadt clocks in at 5"11.5" and 198 pounds at the Combine. And bombed the strength tests.

Ah. A little fat, then? The Gophers will sort that out. If he's a dough ball now and has that much electric offensive ability on ice, how much flashier will he be when he's built like a man rather than a chubby little boy?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The only real strength tests I ever hear about are the bench press and pullups, which both measure upper body strength exclusively. I think there's at least a standing jump, but I'm not sure that gets included in the "strength test" category. Hard to say whether he's just a doughy, undeveloped teenager or someone with a disproportionately developed lower body. At any rate, I don't see it as cause for alarm or celebration.

The only real value I see in the measurements, aside from some level of standardization, is seeing the guys who are too short to be able to add much mass (e.g. Yamamoto) or the guys who are problematically skinny (e.g. Heponiemi and potentially Pettersson). In cases like Mittelstadt, it's mostly just noise without additional context.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ah. A little fat, then? The Gophers will sort that out. If he's a dough ball now and has that much electric offensive ability on ice, how much flashier will he be when he's built like a man rather than a chubby little boy?

I agree. He'll get whipped into shape at Minnesota.

rt

May 13, 2004
The only real strength tests I ever hear about are the bench press and pullups, which both measure upper body strength exclusively. I think there's at least a standing jump, but I'm not sure that gets included in the "strength test" category. Hard to say whether he's just a doughy, undeveloped teenager or someone with a disproportionately developed lower body. At any rate, I don't see it as cause for alarm or celebration.

The only real value I see in the measurements, aside from some level of standardization, is seeing the guys who are too short to be able to add much mass (e.g. Yamamoto) or the guys who are problematically skinny (e.g. Heponiemi and potentially Pettersson). In cases like Mittelstadt, it's mostly just noise without additional context.

I think it's safe to say he's a chubby kid. I also don't care. He's dedicated and passionate about hockey as much as any prospect. He's going to a top program. He'll be fine.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think it's safe to say he's a chubby kid. I also don't care. He's dedicated and passionate about hockey as much as any prospect. He's going to a top program. He'll be fine.

That's about the conclusion I've drawn. Conditioning is just so easy to fix that it's not even a consideration. I'm much more concerned in cases like Julien Gauthier last year, where he's so physically advanced for his age that I worry he won't be able to get much stronger, and he'll become less effective as everyone else catches up to him. For guys like Mittelstadt, it mostly just speaks to their rawness.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Main boards are freaking out about this lol. Wouldn't be surprised if this caused Mittlestadt to fall into our laps at 7. All the better for us.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The measurements I'm most curious about are Pettersson, Brannstrom, Ikonen and Necas. I've seen fairly inconsistent numbers for all of them. They're all top 15 guys in my eyes regardless, but an extra inch or 10 lbs. could make a difference.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So just how undersized is Makar? I watched some more highlights today, he doesn't seem to play small, and really 5 11 180 isn't all that small anymore is it?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Pettersson comes in at 6'1.75"/165 lbs. Skinny but probably not problematically so. Probably needs 5-10 lbs. to be an NHL player, 15 to be a top 6 guy and 20 to be a first liner.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The measurements I'm most curious about are Pettersson, Brannstrom, Ikonen and Necas. I've seen fairly inconsistent numbers for all of them. They're all top 15 guys in my eyes regardless, but an extra inch or 10 lbs. could make a difference.

Necas was measured earlier today at 6'1" 178 lbs. Essentially the same size as Hischier.

rt

May 13, 2004
Main boards are freaking out about this lol. Wouldn't be surprised if this caused Mittlestadt to fall into our laps at 7. All the better for us.

His comments about liking the idea of being drafted by Vegas are encouraging. My main fear is him deciding that he's going to stay a Gopher until they win a title. And then deciding he'd rather just play for the Minnesota Wild instead of Arizona. His sentimentality about his HS team is VERY off-putting to me. UNLESS this means he's loyal like Doan. And if we take him at 7th, he'll imprint on us and convince himself that he needs to be ultra loyal to us also. I just worry he's simply afraid to leave home.

My secondary concern is that there's at least a 50% chance he's yet another LW. Puke.

I'd rather draft Hischier, Vilardi, Makar, Necas, Glass and even Patrick over Mittelstadt. Eh. Maybe he's tied with Patrick.

I don't like Patrick at all. He doesn't strike me as at all motivated or passionate. It seems like a job already. Like he doesn't actually WANT to be doing any of this.

rt

May 13, 2004
Necas was measured earlier today at 6'1" 178 lbs. Essentially the same size as Hischier.

Im pretty sure my list is starting to look like:

1. Hischier
2. Vilardi
3. Glass
4. Makar
5. Necas
6. Heiskanen
7. Mittelstadt
8. Patrick

Heiskanen is tough. He might actually be my #3. Haha.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Well, ****, looks like Brannstrom is measuring in at 5'9", 170 lbs.

Still think he's the 2nd best D prospect in this class behind Heiskanen, but that's gotta drop him to the 2nd round now. He remains one of the youngest in this class, however, so there's a decent chance he grows into a similar size as Ghost and Ellis (5'11"-ish 180 lbs).

From the tape I've seen he's still my #1 target at 23 if he's still available, regardless of size and handedness.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
For really talented players I am not so worried about size and strength in Juniors. Has anyone seen Marner? He has the body of a 13 year old. Skill, skating and IQ trump a teenagers physical development. That comes with age, training and commitment (and why they interview prospects - make sure they have the intestinal fortitude and desire to be a pro).

In contrast, I always worry about drafting the physical specimen (like Crouse) because the physical guy can dominate when playing against kids but may not progress once almost everyone is big and strong.

rt

May 13, 2004
Well, ****, looks like Brannstrom is measuring in at 5'9", 170 lbs.

Still think he's the 2nd best D prospect in this class behind Heiskanen, but that's gotta drop him to the 2nd round now. He remains one of the youngest in this class, however, so there's a decent chance he grows into a similar size as Ghost and Ellis (5'11"-ish 180 lbs).

From the tape I've seen he's still my #1 target at 23 if he's still available, regardless of size and handedness.

For me it's:

1.Makar
2.Heiskanen
3.Liljegren
4.Valimaki
5.Hague
6.Jokiharju
7.Brannstrom

All of them would be in my top 31.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
1. Heiskanen
2. Brannstrom
3. Valimaki
4. Liljegren
5. Makar
6. Timmins
7. Jokiharju
8. Hague
9. Phillips
10. Foote
11. Joseph
12. Brook
13. Farrance
14. Miller
15. Salo

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Pi's rating. I'd also be fine with Brannstrom at 23. I don't mind taking a risk on a defenseman, I just don't want Makar at 7. I'm not sure he'd be in my top ten.

rt

May 13, 2004
7:30 A.M.*
Filip Chytil: 6-foot-3.5, 191.66 pounds
David Farrance: 5-foot-10.75, 195.3 pounds
Miro Heiskanen: 6-foot-2, 172.16
Aleksi Heponiemi: 6-foot, 149.2 pounds
Henri Jokiharju: 6-foot-0.75, 187.9 pounds
Kasper Kotkansalo: 6-foot-3.5, 196.36 pounds
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen: 6-foot-6.25, 197.84 pounds
Ostap Safin: 6-foot-6.5, 192.12 pounds
Robin Salo: 6-foot-2.5, 189.4 pounds
Eeli Tolvanen: 5-foot-11.25, 189.48 pounds
Urho Vaakanainen: 6-foot-2.5, 188.2 pounds
Kristian Vesalainen: 6-foot-5, 209.22 pounds
*Please note, the 7:30 A.M. group tested with shoes on. Subtract two inches to get their height without shoes.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Ugh :facepalm:

2 full inches seems like a lot. I'd say more like 1.5 inches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad