WC: 2017 Division I, II, III

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Korea is doing pretty well. And while Kazachstan is only really dangerous when their "importants" are on the ice Korea gets a lot of scoring points by their native players.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
GB always struggle against Japan's speed.

Japan do not have any real standout players but they have consistency and depth throughout the lineup, they're not the most talented or biggest team but they all skate like the wind, and teams like GB struggle against that.

Japan has a goalie too.

Fukufuji will be a beast in D1B

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
IIHF seems to indicate the game will be streamed on their website?

I'm assuming it is blacked out here?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Korea is doing pretty well. And while Kazachstan is only really dangerous when their "importants" are on the ice Korea gets a lot of scoring points by their native players.

It's kinda the same mix both ways. Brand new Korean Alex Plante with 3 points against Kazakhstan.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's true to some extent, but Korea at least had some homegrown players contribute while Kazakhstan is just a one line team. Sad to see, they never were a regular fixture in the top division, but they used to be able to get there without using imports.

Anyway, fun game to watch. What a third period by South Korea!

Marky1999

Sep 5, 2016
Congrats to South Korea on a huge victory against Kazakhstan. Hope they get promoted to the World Championships!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's true to some extent, but Korea at least had some homegrown players contribute while Kazakhstan is just a one line team

Well guys like Starchenko, Savchenko or Semyonov are head and shoulders above anything local Korea has to offer. They are getting old but they are there.

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
As a rare hockey fan from Korea, I am so proud of Jim Paek and Richard Park.
They have built great chemistry on the ice and not just relied on naturalised players; they have rather maximized our innate strength in skating and agility.
Kudos to our boys. They have already exceed expectation.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
so Croatia has it's own Gaber Glavič. :)
With better goaltending, they could have won the game, but this happens. sometimes.
Britain, on the other hand, didn't impress... but it's only the first game.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
so Croatia has it's own Gaber Glavič. :)
With better goaltending, they could have won the game, but this happens. sometimes.
Britain, on the other hand, didn't impress... but it's only the first game.

Everybody expected Rosandić between the pipes. It is not just this game, last year Tomljenović was also bad, especially against Ukraine:shakehead Overall solid game from Croatia, I expected to be much worse, when you are missing Katić, Glumac, Puzić and ZanoÅ¡ki it is way too much for team like ours.:)

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Last year we were easily trashed by GB on our home ice. This year we were equal with them on heir ice.
That's what it means to have a good coach like Enio.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
They have built great chemistry on the ice and not just relied on naturalised players; they have rather maximized our innate strength in skating and agility.

I just moved to Korea last month, and got to see the first game of the ALIH final in Anyang, which has a lot of the players on the national team. They are definitely skilled, and not just the foreigners; the Koreans got some decent players on their team, and now with the NHL not going to the Olympics they may actually not get as embarrassed as thought (though I still see them losing). Would be real good for them if they get promoted, which that win against Kazakhstan certainly helps their chances.

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
I just moved to Korea last month, and got to see the first game of the ALIH final in Anyang, which has a lot of the players on the national team. They are definitely skilled, and not just the foreigners; the Koreans got some decent players on their team, and now with the NHL not going to the Olympics they may actually not get as embarrassed as thought (though I still see them losing). Would be real good for them if they get promoted, which that win against Kazakhstan certainly helps their chances.
Good to know you've been to Anyang Halla's final home games in this past season.
I have used to watch the game around the section where a bunch of expats sitting.

Back to the topic, Korea played back-to-back exhibition matches against Russia, fielded with 2nd- to 3rd-stringers, back in mid-March at Gangneung Hockey Center, the venue for the Olympic Hockey Tournament. Korea lost both 3-4 and 2-5, respectively. I believe the two-game series definitely helped the Koreans prepare for the Worlds; played very close games against the Russians.

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
D1A Standings as of April 24, 2017

Korea 2 games played / 6 points / 9 goals for / 4 goals against / +5 goal differential
Hungary 1/ 3 / 5 / 3 / +2
Poland 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / -1
Kazakhstan 2 / 3 / 5 / 7 / -2
Austria 1 / 0 / 2 / 3 / -2
Ukraine 2 / 0 / 4 / 7 / -3

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
The Korean Domestic players really impressed me.

They are definitely getting promoted.

Japan looks horrible compared to their previous squads.

Croatia looked really good save for their goaltending

Should come down to Croatia or the Brits in 1B

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
If NHL players are not going to the Olympics does that include under contract AHLers?

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Will play Lyszczarczyk? He is just 19years old.

Can someone explain why Lyszczarczyk leave team and Jeziorski (same age) still play? Does it mean Jeziorski is better? He plays just in Poland.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The Korean Domestic players really impressed me.

They are definitely getting promoted.

Japan looks horrible compared to their previous squads.

Croatia looked really good save for their goaltending

Should come down to Croatia or the Brits in 1B

Homer post of the day. Jumping to conclussions much? Japan just won 6-1 in a walkthrough game against the Nehterlnds while Croatia lost and you are saying Japan is looking terrible while Croatia has a chance at promotion? Come on..

Can someone explain why Lyszczarczyk leave team and Jeziorski (same age) still play? Does it mean Jeziorski is better? He plays just in Poland.

I think they just didn`t want to bring a guy who lives in Canada and barely speaks Polish as a 13th forward.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The way I see it, it is very hard to see Korea not promoted now.

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010

Congratulations to South Korea :handclap:
The game against Kazakhstan was really entertaining and fun to watch.
Richard Park did an awesome job to build the team. :nod:

It would be amazing to see them in the Top Division next year :sarcasm:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Congratulations to South Korea :handclap:
The game against Kazakhstan was really entertaining and fun to watch.
Richard Park did an awesome job to build the team. :nod:

It would be amazing to see them in the Top Division next year :sarcasm:

Park is the assistant coach for the Koreans, the real credit goes to Jim Paek, who's the head coach and been working over there for a few years now. But definitely doing good, and nice to see some actual Koreans are contributing too, a few of them are actually fairly good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad