OT: 2017 Blue Bombers Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't expect the moon from Lefevour, but in the home game against the Bombers, I thought he was better than Willy.

The Bombers still need to get a guy who they think could be the "next guy" in the stable. If it's not Davis, I hope they find someone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Here we go again.... Lefevour cost them nothing. Low risk. Not a big deal. Nichols led the the team to their first playoff birth since what, 2011? Gotta stick with him. I agree with you on Davis, not a huge fan. What did you want them to do? Give up assets for a QB from somewhere else that may end up only being marginally better (or worse - not better at all) than what we have?

Ottawa just got Drew Tate for a 5th round pick. They could easily have stomached that. Franklin wants out of Edmonton, he likely would not have cost very much at all. Both are far superior options to Lefevour and have the potential to be actual starting QB's, unlike Nichols. In order to win Grey Cup you need talent at QB in today's CFL. Bombers do not have that.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Ottawa just got Drew Tate for a 5th round pick. They could easily have stomached that. Franklin wants out of Edmonton, he likely would not have cost very much at all. Both are far superior options to Lefevour and have the potential to be actual starting QB's, unlike Nichols. In order to win Grey Cup you need talent at QB in today's CFL. Bombers do not have that.

Tate would've been just what we needed. Another injury prone QB. Didn't we learn our lesson with Buck Pierce? Tate hasn't started in how long? Hell he only has something like 14 career starts. And who knows what the cost on Franklin would've been? Again why give up anything for someone who isn't a sure fire starter?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Tate would've been just what we needed. Another injury prone QB. Didn't we learn our lesson with Buck Pierce? Tate hasn't started in how long? Hell he only has something like 14 career starts. And who knows what the cost on Franklin would've been? Again why give up anything for someone who isn't a sure fire starter?

I'd personally take Tate over every Bomber QB right now.

At the very least, he'd come in and compete for the starting job.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

IMHO Tate has great talent, and better vision than any of the bombers QBs signed for next year. Practically, his downside (as has been said) is his proclivity for injuries. His shoulder dislocation and surgury likely is a problem (non-throwing arm), but I like his TD/INT ratio. Too bad this guy can't stay together long enough to start for > 10 games in sequence.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
IMHO Tate has great talent, and better vision than any of the bombers QBs signed for next year. Practically, his downside (as has been said) is his proclivity for injuries. His shoulder dislocation and surgury likely is a problem (non-throwing arm), but I like his TD/INT ratio. Too bad this guy can't stay together long enough to start for > 10 games in sequence.

The counter point is we have Nichols now, who is established as a solid CFL backup.

A Tate-Nichols-[prospect] QB depth chart is respectable.

A Nichols-Lefevour-[prospect] QB depth chart is probably the worst in the league.

Unless the Bombers can replicate their miracle turnover ratio, they'll be in tough.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Tate is a terrible QB....he's not the same QB he was 5-6 years ago. And what's your source on Franklin? Edmonton wants a first rounder + for him.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'd prefer Tate over LeFevour, but neither one is ideal. Would actually have preferred Glenn over both.

I don't expect the moon from Lefevour, but in the home game against the Bombers, I thought he was better than Willy.

He was awesome in that first half, but basically fell apart in the second half once the Bombers kept him confined to the pocket. I have real concerns about his ability to read defenses.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I swear to god LeFevour has been that "he's gonna break out i swear" player for like the last three seasons. I'm sick of hearing about him.

I hate him. Unjustified? Probably, but i hate him. Would have much rather hung on to Glenn, or even make that move for Tate since he'd probably make an okay starter/potential competition for Nichols.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Glenn and Tate and The Fever are all just backups who can fill in for a few games if need be. They aren't starters anymore tho. Seriously Calgary gave tate away for basically nothing. Glenn went to the only team who doesn't have a starting QB. These guys are known but it's based on what they did years and years ago because what they did recently is Nothing. The Fever actually started a few games last year and looked capable. He's a good fill in for a game or 2 and I'd take him over career backups like tate and almost 40 year old legit definition of Journeyman Glenn

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Glenn and Tate and The Fever are all just backups who can fill in for a few games if need be. They aren't starters anymore tho. Seriously Calgary gave tate away for basically nothing. Glenn went to the only team who doesn't have a starting QB. These guys are known but it's based on what they did years and years ago because what they did recently is Nothing. The Fever actually started a few games last year and looked capable. He's a good fill in for a game or 2 and I'd take him over career backups like tate and almost 40 year old legit definition of Journeyman Glenn

That's future Hall of Famer Kevin Glenn.

Top 10 in Yards, TD's, and Completion Percentage.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

They need to give up assets to get a QB because we don't have a quality starting QB. I would rather "waste" the assets and try to take advantage of the good team we have by going out and getting a QB than "waste" the assets not winning because our QB won't be able to take us over the top. Even if that player might not be better than Nichols, we know Nichols isn't good enough. This is like the Pavelec debate all over again.

Even Nichols biggest fans can't have him ranked better than 8th best QB in the CFL. And people forget that Nichols is very injury prone, being shut down for the year 3 straight years in Edmonton. We are in big trouble with the QB spot and it's too bad. The Bombers have a good team but no current QB and no future QB.

O'Shea and Walters have done a solid job to date, IMO. But this decision to run a Nichols - Lefevour - Davis depth chart at QB is a tragic mistake.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
They need to give up assets to get a QB because we don't have a quality starting QB. I would rather "waste" the assets and try to take advantage of the good team we have by going out and getting a QB than "waste" the assets not winning because our QB won't be able to take us over the top. Even if that player might not be better than Nichols, we know Nichols isn't good enough. This is like the Pavelec debate all over again.

Even Nichols biggest fans can't have him ranked better than 8th best QB in the CFL. And people forget that Nichols is very injury prone, being shut down for the year 3 straight years in Edmonton. We are in big trouble with the QB spot and it's too bad. The Bombers have a good team but no current QB and no future QB.

O'Shea and Walters have done a solid job to date, IMO. But this decision to run a Nichols - Lefevour - Davis depth chart at QB is a tragic mistake.

listen, we all know how you feel about Nichols. you've made it loud and clear a number of times.

you may be right. you may be absolutely wrong.

you forget that our O line was pretty savage last year. you also forget the one X factor: Nichols and our O coaches seem to be on the same page. so you're not seeing plays where he's hung up in the pocket or trying to do things he's incapable of doing. i don't have the stats, but his sack #s, i assume, aren't overly high.

again, i don't have an issue with the Bombers going with what worked very, very well for them last year. starting from scratch and dumping Nichols, IMO, would have been a crazy mistake. but i do agree with the concerns about depth. hey, we don't have the crappy backup QB situation we had a few seasons back, so i'm kind of OK with things.

on paper, this team looks really, really good. unsure where my concerns would be. the corners, perhaps? still not 100% confident on their receiver coverage.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
listen, we all know how you feel about Nichols. you've made it loud and clear a number of times.

you may be right. you may be absolutely wrong.

you forget that our O line was pretty savage last year. you also forget the one X factor: Nichols and our O coaches seem to be on the same page. so you're not seeing plays where he's hung up in the pocket or trying to do things he's incapable of doing. i don't have the stats, but his sack #s, i assume, aren't overly high.

again, i don't have an issue with the Bombers going with what worked very, very well for them last year. starting from scratch and dumping Nichols, IMO, would have been a crazy mistake. but i do agree with the concerns about depth. hey, we don't have the crappy backup QB situation we had a few seasons back, so i'm kind of OK with things.

on paper, this team looks really, really good. unsure where my concerns would be. the corners, perhaps? still not 100% confident on their receiver coverage.

Also don't forget we have a pretty solid running game to help Nichols.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

We had Pavelec for years and each year he was below average. We've had Nichols for one year and he was above average. Is Nichols the reason we lost to BC last year? I don't think so. Was Nichols the reason we had a good season in general last year? I don't think he was the reason but he helped contribute or at the very least didn't cause us to be a bad team. You prefer Tate who hasn't been a relevant starter for a few years, but dislike Nichols (for whatever reason) who at the very least was an adequate starter last year.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Tate literally said his last go 'round in free agency that he does not want to be a starter. He's enjoying semi-retirement. He's likely to take on a 3rd string/coaching role in Ottawa with Brock Jensen being the #2.

I really like LeFevour. He's kind of what Lapo has always wanted in a guy with mobility who can pass a bit too. He hasn't really had a shot anywhere in terms of anything but being a desperation fill-in. Even in that scenario he was decent. When he had a role in Hamilton he was really good. Injuries are a concern, as well as turnovers. TBH, you aren't going to get much better than him on the sideline. Edmonton isn't giving up Franklin. They are succession planning. More likely you get Reilly out of them heading into 2018.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Guess those Virtuity Mortgage commercials he did with his brother weren't as lucrative as he would have liked. Too bad.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns