OT: 2017 Blue Bombers Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
When is the draft?

All I can find is that it's sometime in May. Our picks (stolen from the Bombers board):

Round 1 - 1st and 6th overall
Round 2 - 6th (15 overall)
Round 3 - 5th (23rd overall)
Round 4 - No Picks
Round 5 - No Picks
Round 6 - 6th (51st overall)
Round 7 - 6th (60th overall)
Round 8 - 6th (69th overall)

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Schedule is out, looks like plenty of Thursday/Friday games both home and away in the 1st half of the schedule. Bye on the first week and open the season at the toilet bowl.:naughty:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Schedule is out, looks like plenty of Thursday/Friday games both home and away in the 1st half of the schedule. Bye on the first week and open the season at the toilet bowl.:naughty:

Always in the 1st half. No one goes to weekend games in the summer because they're all at the lake:laugh:

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
All I can find is that it's sometime in May. Our picks (stolen from the Bombers board):

Round 4 - No Picks
Round 5 - No Picks

We're a rowdier crowd over there ;)

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Absolutely huge signing by the Bombers in bringing aboard Tristian Okpalaugo, bookend we needed with fantastic numbers he had a few years back.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Probably just a cute story about saving Okpalaugo's mum, but this is the second big time (international) FA who's stated that O'Shea's presence is a big reason for signing.

On the radio during awards week Medlock said he "would have loved" to stay in Hamilton but the prospect of playing for MOS was too great to pass up.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Question: how long does a CFL team hold the rights to a player they've drafted? Is it indefinite?

Guessing Holden knows the definitive answer to this.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Round 4 - No Picks
Round 5 - No Picks

What a terrible trade for toronto, considering Winnipeg was dropping Willy this offseason no matter what.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Their stupidity is our gain.

No kidding. This is the one year I havent really followed the prospects as much but there are a few that played in the States that always seem to be a risk as you don't know if they are a risk to flee for the NFL. Senior and Ankou are those two guys, OL and DL, but Im not sure if Ankou is a DT but if he is then that we be someone Id target. Maybe they go for OL Gray from the Bisons, Im sure they'd see much of his games live as opposed to on film.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Question: how long does a CFL team hold the rights to a player they've drafted? Is it indefinite?

Guessing Holden knows the definitive answer to this.

I have never seen the CFL CBA so I couldn't say for sure, but it is indefinite as far as I know.

However it seems to be that lots of players that go down to NFL and stick around for more than 2 years don't want to come back up to the CFL. I guess they feel they've made enough money. Players like Jesse Palmer, Nick Kaczur, Danny Watkins, etc.

A guy like Muluamba would be an unknown if he ever wants to come up north at this point after his success with Packers and he's still bouncing around down there.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I have never seen the CFL CBA so I couldn't say for sure, but it is indefinite as far as I know.

However it seems to be that lots of players that go down to NFL and stick around for more than 2 years don't want to come back up to the CFL. I guess they feel they've made enough money. Players like Jesse Palmer, Nick Kaczur, Danny Watkins, etc.

A guy like Muluamba would be an unknown if he ever wants to come up north at this point after his success with Packers and he's still bouncing around down there.

If someone qualifies for the NFL pension the chances of them coming north with no prior CFL experience is slim. Sometimes they are getting insurance payouts for injuries too.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If someone qualifies for the NFL pension the chances of them coming north with no prior CFL experience is slim. Sometimes they are getting insurance payouts for injuries too.

Good point. So if Mulumba sticks with the Raiders or another NFL team - provided he's on the active roster/IR/PUP for minimum 4 games - he'll apparently (I'm trusting my quick Google research here) qualify for an NFL pension.

I guess that probably explains why there's been zero notion of Christo Bilukidi joining the Blue and Gold.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Bombers get Drake Nevis in free agency (defensive tackle). Position of need for them.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers get Drake Nevis in free agency (defensive tackle). Position of need for them.

Still hoping Jamaal Westerman convinces his brother to sign here (I haven't seen word that Jabar has signed). Big National starting DT would be a coup for the Blue and Gold. Still hoping Denmark returns to shore up receiving corps and Lafrance is brought in to supplement Harris at RB.

However the question marks remain at QB for me. We enter the year with Nichols #1 and Davis #2 we are in for a bad bad time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad