OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I understand if it was a 2nd round pick but a 4th? Yikes.

The value of NFL players has always baffled me. I get that trades are typically not a huge thing but when a guy like Ajayi, who is a year removed from 1,200 yards and 5 ypc only brings back a 4th, I don’t get that. QBs get overvalued when they become available via trade OR they sign huge deals that don’t make sense ever (see Osweiler, Flynn, Fitzpatrick, Schaub, etc).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ajayi apparently has major attitude problems

HOWEVER

I am pissed off. This is ridiculous. They may trade Landry too.

Miami questions his staying healthy long term from what I’ve read as well. His knees apparently are a good shot away from exploding but then again, aren’t all NFLers one hit away from catastrophe?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Jenorus Jenkins suspended by the Giants for 1 game for "violating team rules."

McAdoo is gonna be shown the door with Jerry Reese

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He might, but Jay Cutler has pissed everybody off whereever he goes.

It's going to cost Gase his job

Gase is not going anywhere. Once Tannehill went down, he knew he was screwed so he went with the hail mary with Cutler and it clearly hasnt worked so far.

But this move today is not the move of a guy who is on the hot seat. He has job security.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Miami questions his staying healthy long term from what I’ve read as well. His knees apparently are a good shot away from exploding but then again, aren’t all NFLers one hit away from catastrophe?

Ajayi essentially has no cartilage in his knees. Thats the main reason why he fell in the draft. His career is going to be pretty short.

Still not happy about the deal though.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ajayi essentially has no cartilage in his knees. Thats the main reason why he fell in the draft. His career is going to be pretty short.

Still not happy about the deal though.

No I can’t imagine any Dolphins fan is. It’s a horrible deal for them. They’ll probably move Landry for a pretzel and a half eaten order of nachos next.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The value of NFL players has always baffled me. I get that trades are typically not a huge thing but when a guy like Ajayi, who is a year removed from 1,200 yards and 5 ypc only brings back a 4th, I don’t get that. QBs get overvalued when they become available via trade OR they sign huge deals that don’t make sense ever (see Osweiler, Flynn, Fitzpatrick, Schaub, etc).

I've been baffled by odd NFL trade valuations ever since Marshall Faulk got traded for a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder in the prime of his career back when RB's weren't disposable beings.

Reactions: Billdo

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the moral of the story is Running backs are the easiest position in the NFL to replace. Unless you have a stud like Leveon Bell, you just keep drafting them. That doesnt make me any happier about this trade.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Would venture to say that RB shelf life's are very short and usually burn out at abot 28 and typically you don't build a team around a RB which is why average Qb's get over valued.

This kind of breaks it down a bit

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-nfl-trade-deadline-does-121720992.html

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Would venture to say that RB shelf life's are very short and usually burn out at abot 28 and typically you don't build a team around a RB which is why average Qb's get over valued.

This kind of breaks it down a bit

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-nfl-trade-deadline-does-121720992.html

I get it. Just the valuations are so different than other sports. Take for instance the price the Browns agreed to pay Cincinatti for AJ McArron until they realized they were still the Browns and screwed it up. Jimmy G going from NE to SF cost a 2nd. That set the QB bar trade wise from now until the draft McArron gets a 2nd AND 4th while Jay Ajayi only gets a 4th? That’s just crazy to me that’s all.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Jenorus Jenkins suspended by the Giants for 1 game for "violating team rules."

McAdoo is gonna be shown the door with Jerry Reese

I have next to no faith that the Mara’s will have the stones to fire Reese ( he should have been fired with Coughlin)

I can hear the excuses already. Injuries, throwing Mac under the bus. They are clueless to the fact that Jerry has been a disaster in the draft for years now.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Reese should have been fired before Coughlin but that is a totally different issue.

Reactions: tr83

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So apparently Deshaun Watson went down with a non-contact injury and the Texans fear a torn ACL. God the NFL sucks sometimes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And Watson's confirmed with a torn ACL, per Schefter and an on-site MRI. Just brutal. Talk about a mixed bag for Houston sports fans today to have this dark cloud after the WS afterglow.

Jets are due for a win

NO shot, none. Especially if they're going to play without a few of the guys who were hurt this week. You can only have so many gut-wrenching losses back to back before the roof falls in.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh surrre NOW the ****ing Jets decide to play a 60-minute game. Now we're probably stuck with McCown for the whole year as the team goes 8-8 :rant:

And this isn't a I want the pick post, with all these so-called 'franchise' QB's struggling this year it ain't as valuable as being hyped anyway. This is I wanted to see Petty the last 4-6 weeks before we have to go out and get another ****ing QB because McCown's older than everyone this side of Methusaleh in New England.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Oh surrre NOW the ****ing Jets decide to play a 60-minute game. Now we're probably stuck with McCown for the whole year as the team goes 8-8 :rant:

And this isn't a I want the pick post, this is I wanted to see Petty the last 4-6 weeks before we have to go out and get another ****ing QB because McCown's older than everyone this side of Methusaleh in New England.

I called it earlier, they were due for a win vs a paper tiger like Buff

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
More like Buffalo was due for a loss. I guess it's good we get to play spoiler a little bit after 2016 but really I don't hate the Bills like the other two division teams. I'd rather see them make the playoffs, hell I'd rather see them beat out the evil empire in NE for the division though that's a pipedream.

lol that looks like something that would happen to the Jets - guy gets up and seemingly wasn't touched, and then fumbles on the extra effort play.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

And this isn't a I want the pick post, with all these so-called 'franchise' QB's struggling this year it ain't as valuable as being hyped anyway. This is I wanted to see Petty the last 4-6 weeks before we have to go out and get another ****ing QB because McCown's older than everyone this side of Methusaleh in New England.

Well, three QBs. Petty will fail and Hackenburg isn't an XFL QB

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well, three QBs. Petty will fail and Hackenburg isn't an XFL QB

Well nobody would have done well in that dumpster fire of guys quitting late last year. He looked good enough in the preseason where I wanted to see him get another shot since it's not like Hackenberg will ever do jack (at the very least to see if he could be a good backup going forward), but Bowles seemed to pooh-pooh that when asked about whether Petty or Hack would play later in the season saying he evaluated them all in the summer.

Plus after that ridiculous last three weeks they still probably need to go 6-1 in the last seven games to make the playoffs. They aren't going any 6-1 with basically a guaranteed loss at Foxboro (unless they have everything wrapped up and decide to rest people the last week). I guess I could see a scenario where they beat Tampa and a defanged Carolina and get to 6-5 before the Chiefs home game and get us all going again before they pull the rug out again.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Bunch of sourpusses. :sarcasm: This season was supposed to be pure misery, enjoy the wins and the young talent looking good!

I couldn't care less if we lose a high pick, I love stomping on the Bills. :laugh:

The defense was fired up last night, they really came to play. Mo looks like the player of old these past 3 weeks, which is great to see. I'll stay loyal to him as I still think he is a dominant player when fully healthy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is this really a case of younger guys doing well though? McCown, Forte, Mo? I guess you could say Robbie Anderson, the two safeties to a degree, maybe Lee and the backup RB, but Leonard Williams who was supposed to be the best of them hasn't gotten a full sack in a year :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce