Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Supposedly the deadline ask for Patches was Vilardi + one of Toffoli/Pearson.
Yes, and he did not get traded. Asking price for E Kane was absurd. He was traded for much, much less than the asking price.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah that price wasn't getting paid this year or even in a better sellers market.

They probably just quit asking after that so it was never negotiated down :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I was reading an article the other day about the trade deadline where Chayka was commenting on a need to get more impact players. He referenced last summer going out and getting Hjalmarsson, Stepan, Raanta and Demers.

What impact players could the Coyotes possibly acquire? There are a few high end UFAs but unlikely they would sign in the desert. Assuming the 1st pick is untouchable do the Coyotes really have the assets to go out and get an impact player or two?

Thoughts?
RNH and Oilers first (7-10) for AZ first (5th?) and Max Domi.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We also really need another player who is capable of playing meaningful minutes at center in case Strome doesn't pan out. Strome insurance. Preferably someone who can also move to the wing if need be. I've mentioned Zack Smith about 267 times in the last month or so. I wonder who else might fit the bill?

Jason Spezza?

Not my first pick but a decent plan C or so. He’s not meshing with Hitchcock at all but I don’t think he’s done, as his stat line may suggest. We could probably get him cheap too, as his cap hit is stupid.

He’s got one year left. Could be a nice short term thing.

But, my guess is Chayka has bigger plans in mind. Probably closer to last year’s Stepan deal.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
14-8-6 in 2018.

11-3-2 in our last 16.
11-4-2 since our 6-0 drubbing at the hands of LA

"Nice little run"

This is what I was looking for, nice research Del. Incredible to see the transformation the last 20-25 games or so. Completely different team. Responding to Tochetts system? more confidence? Who knows, but we all seem to agree to like it.

Count me out on Jeff Petry. I hope thats not the impact type players Chyka targets. I am still optimistic we cash in with Dahlin. If we somehow land Dahlin..

OEL/Demers
Gogo/Ham
Chychrun/Dahlin

is an absurd defense core.

Keller - Stepan (or upgrade) - Upgrade (preferably right shot)
Domi - Strome (in hopes he puts it together) - Perlini (I still think he will end up being the goal scorer we need)
Panik - Dvorak - Fischer
Cousins - Richardson - Nook
Crouse

That right wing spot might be a tad tough to figure out though.

No Dahlin.. Draft Zadina.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Definitely impressive any way you look at it.

Tocchet and Chayka have adjusted nicely.
And it was about freakin' time. This run wasn't just the players being more comfortable. For those who like to pay attention to systems, the system clearly changed and became rather risk averse. Remember how the defensemen were trying to send tape to tape passes to a streaking forward during the first half of the season? I rarely saw that since January. Remember all the pinches (which haunted the team far to frequently?) That stopped too.

Someone got through to Tocchet and got him to take his foot off of the gas pedal. This is the real reason for the Coyotes recent success. I'm sure that when/if we get more forward talent Tocchet will floor it again, hopefully with much better results.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So we have a coaching staff willing to adjust and capable of coaching players to improve? Terrible. We need a staff that sticks to their guns and refuses to change regardless of results. Adapting and evolving are just euphemisms for cowardly laying down and dying.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Have to spin it negative somehow, I guess. The same people decrying our 2018 28-game performance as a "small sample size" completely wrote off this season and coaching staff after 8 games.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In case anyone was curious we are actually still dead last in high danger shooting percentage.

Though in actual chances we're middle of the pack.

Reactions: lanky

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So we have a coaching staff willing to adjust and capable of coaching players to improve? Terrible. We need a staff that sticks to their guns and refuses to change regardless of results. Adapting and evolving are just euphemisms for cowardly laying down and dying.
No, we should blatantly ignore all of Tocchet’s mistakes in the first half of the season because we deserved no better. Don’t worry, be happy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No thanks. I like Max a lot more than I like RNH.
Come on now, let's not be a homer here. RNH is averaging 0.67 PPG and is a C, Domi 0.58 PPG as a winger. I would have to believe RNH carries much more value than Domi, even with that contract.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
C'mon fellas, this team this year is completely different than last year's team. This team this season has dominated teams in stretches, last year's team would win games, but win them ugly. I know some people really liked the previous coach, but c'mon, we've been trending in the right direction after the 20 -game mark and that is to be commended. The team is looking better and better. If we could catch a little luck w/the lottery and Strome establishes himself then we've really got something.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Come on now, let's not be a homer here. RNH is averaging 0.67 PPG and is a C, Domi 0.58 PPG as a winger. I would have to believe RNH carries much more value than Domi, even with that contract.

I'm not being a homer - I'm being practical. In this case, I don't think RNH brings the same things to the room as Domi does. One thing our team really lacks is fire, and Domi brings that even if he doesn't bring the scoring he used to. Now - if Chayka is getting indications that Domi's contract negotiations are going to go south, then I might change my mind, but like @Bonsai Tree said, I would leave the picks out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad