Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Schwartz-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Schenn
Paajarvi-Sobotka-Blais
Megan-Brodziak-Jaskin

xx Thorburn, Thompson/Sundqvist

is what I would try and start off with

I like those, but we haven’t seen Yeo put Tarasenko with anyone but Stastny so far. Personally I’d go with

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Blais
Sobotka-Barbashev-Thompson/Kostin
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Jaskin
Sundqvist, Thorburn

I think with Fabbri being out, they’re gonna see which kids can stick in the top 9 when Steen gets back. I see Megan being the first one sent down.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Barbashev in the playoffs last season, but only because Stastny was out. Unless you just meant preseason, then yeah. Stastny seems like a lock to be paired with Vladi.

Yep that’s what I meant, Just camp/preseason so far. I’d love for Schenn or Barbie to earn the top line spot though with Vladi.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Just imagine how unimpressive Beau Bennett must've been to be penciled into the lineup entering camp but then not make the team even with Fabs out for the season, Bergy and Sanford out until mid-season and Steen missing a little time as well.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Just imagine how unimpressive Beau Bennett must've been to be penciled into the lineup entering camp but then not make the team even with Fabs out for the season, Bergy and Sanford out until mid-season and Steen missing a little time as well.

His tweets are pretty funny though

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

I can only speak for the preseason games I saw, but the dude did basically nothing. Every player (other than Thorburn) who has a chance to crack the opening night roster and several others were clearly better.

I wouldn't be against Bennett on the final roster as an extra forward who can win his way into the lineup, but we're talking about a guy you can expect to give you Paajarvi/Jaskin/Upshall/Brodziak production and he still underwhelmed. With so many rookies knocking on the door and so many players of similar impact who are also superior penalty killers, guys like that need to do something convincing.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

He was extremely unimpressive. Majority of our prospects looked more seasoned than he did. Didn't JR just tweet the other day penciling him into the lineup?

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Obligatory I hate change comment.

Found out the news a couple hours ago. Im still in shock. Im not sure who needs a hug more. Fabbri or all of us.

Schwartz - Stastny - Tarasenko
Steen - Schenn - XXX
Sobotka - Barbs - XXX
Pavjs/Megan - Brodziak/Sundquist - XXX

Kostin/Thompson/Blais/Jaskin fighting for 4 spots.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'd probably roll:
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Steen-Barbashev-Schenn
Pay R Vee-Sobotka-Megan
Thorburn-Brodziak-Jaskin

Jeeez, that's thin. If we lose another top-6 forward we're in big(ger) trouble.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'd probably roll:
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Steen-Barbashev-Schenn
Pay R Vee-Sobotka-Megan
Thorburn-Brodziak-Jaskin

Jeeez, that's thin. If we lose another top-6 forward we're in big(ger) trouble.

No Blais? I would definitely have him above PRV, and I would put Jaskin over Megan.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
According to Jim Thomas' article today, quoting Yeo, there is a close competition between Barbashev and Sundqvist for the third line center job. I'm surprised that Sundqvist is in the discussion.

I don't know much about Sundqvist. He is new to the organization, and arrived without fanfare. I haven't noticed him in the preseason.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
According to Jim Thomas' article today, quoting Yeo, there is a close competition between Barbashev and Sundqvist for the third line center job. I'm surprised that Sundqvist is in the discussion.

I don't know much about Sundqvist. He is new to the organization, and arrived without fanfare. I haven't noticed him in the preseason.
He's pretty bland

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
He's pretty bland

Good PKer, better defensively than Barbs, but with a much lower upside. There's essentially no hope of him getting to the top-6, whereas we already basically know that Barbs can at least be competent there. I would think Barbashev would be the obvious choice, but I guess it depends on what we're trying to do with that third line now. If we don't have the personnel for it to be a true scoring line (*sobs*), maybe its best for it to just hold the fort and try to chip in where possible. Idk, not a lot of great options right now, very tough to start the season with this many long-term injuries

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I like Sundqvist and have been telling people not to sleep on him, yet still this makes no sense to me. Barbashev should be competing for a top 6 C spot. The only way Sundvist wins in a competition against Barbashev for a line-up spot is if Barby wins a better spot and hence concedes 3C to Sundqvist. Sunqvist didn't show much offensive upside this pre-season. Barbashev was one of our leading point-getters (which isn't saying much as we spread points thin) with some really nice assists. They are both solid on defense, so I'd nod to the guy with more scoring upside.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Good PKer, better defensively than Barbs, but with a much lower upside. There's essentially no hope of him getting to the top-6, whereas we already basically know that Barbs can at least be competent there. I would think Barbashev would be the obvious choice, but I guess it depends on what we're trying to do with that third line now. If we don't have the personnel for it to be a true scoring line (*sobs*), maybe its best for it to just hold the fort and try to chip in where possible. Idk, not a lot of great options right now, very tough to start the season with this many long-term injuries

Any quantification of the bolded? To my eye-test, they are pretty even. I think Barbashev is pretty solid defensively for basically a 21 year old rookie (albeit technically not a rookie by a few games). He has been relied on in a defensive role in Juniors, in international juniors, to a lesser extent in the AHL, and he was solid defensively in the NHL.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I like Sundqvist and have been telling people not to sleep on him, yet still this makes no sense to me. Barbashev should be competing for a top 6 C spot. The only way Sundvist wins in a competition against Barbashev for a line-up spot is if Barby wins a better spot and hence concedes 3C to Sundqvist. Sunqvist didn't show much offensive upside this pre-season. Barbashev was one of our leading point-getters (which isn't saying much as we spread points thin) with some really nice assists. They are both solid on defense, so I'd nod to the guy with more scoring upside.

Maybe it just means that they are definitely expecting Schenn to be one of the top 2 centers to start the year. Seems they are determined to see if it works. That being said, it's hard to imagine Sundqvist beating out Barbashev. From what I've read he's a decent, but unremarkable player.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Schmaltz got cut again.
Color me extremely unimpressed with our center depth. This may become a problem.

When's the last time anyone was impressed with our center depth? It's been a concern for a long time.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This seems fairly worse than what we're used to though.

Compared to last year, we swapped Lehtera out for Schenn, Barbashev is a year older and more experienced, we added a bottom 6er in Sundqvist, and we have Sobotka for more than a game. How are we worse? We lost Berglund for a bit, but he played a good bit of left wing last year.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
No Blais? I would definitely have him above PRV, and I would put Jaskin over Megan.

Yeah...Blais is in the conversation for 3rd line LW, likely rotating with Pay-R-Vee, Megan, Jaskin and whoever else the Blues decide to stroll out there in an attempt to find scoring and consistency (Sundqvist?) Any way you shake it, we're likely a two-line team when it comes to generating offense.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
This seems fairly worse than what we're used to though.
Is it though?

Last year we had a center depth of Stastny, Lehtera, Berglund, and Brodziak. Now we can have a depth of the 3/4 we did last year in addition to Barbeshev, Sundqvist, and Schenn for spells. I'd say that's better than what we are used to.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Armstrong mentioned that the Blues have discussed Jagr with Fabbri now out for the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad