2017-2018 Preseason/Training Camp Discussion Thread

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
JR prediction for the opener. We're stacked. :laugh:

Time for Tank. Svechnikov or Tkachuk :bb:

Assuming Blais is the only one of the kids who sticks, I'd go with something like:

Schwartz-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Blais-Stastny-Schenn
Paajarvi-Sobotka-Jaskin/Megan
Sundqvist-Brodziak-Megan/Jaskin

OR

Sobotka-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Blais
Paajarvi-Barbashev-Megan/Jaskin
same 4th

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
What I want to see us open with:

Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Schenn-Blais
Kostin-Barbashev-Thompson
Jaskin-Brodziak-Paajarvi
Sundqvist, Thorburn

What we’re likely to see:

Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Schenn-Blais
Paajarvi-Barbashev-Bennett
Jaskin-Brodziak-Sundqvist
Thorburn, Megan

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Wow that Fabbri news hurts....

I know they want to have Schenn as 2C but I can't help but think Schwartz-Stastny-Schenn would be a great line. Maybe Sobotka-Barbashev-Tarasenko together? Vladi and Vova had chemistry when he broke into the league and I think Vova and Barbs looked good together in the playoffs. Paajarvi-Megan-Blais as the third, bit of a wolves reunion. Jaskin-Brodziak-Sundqvist would be a good possession line. Thorburn and Bennett as extras.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Gotta say, haven't really been impressed with JR's new role of providing "observations". Makes me not want to subscribe yet. Gonna wait it out until he posts something that looks intriguing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Gotta say, haven't really been impressed with JR's new role of providing "observations". Makes me not want to subscribe yet. Gonna wait it out until he posts something that looks intriguing.

I dont regret it. JRs articles do seem better and the access to other guys is a nice bonus.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Bunch of cuts today. Not overly surprised by those that are still on the roster. At practice again Dunn was paired with Parayko. I really liked that pairing against the Pens on Sunday and thought they had an overall solid game. Walman was paired with Prosser, I wonder if the coaches are starting to see what most of us have been discussing.

With Fabbri out this season I can see them rotating between Blais, Thompson, Kostin until they the find one that sticks. Even though Megan has had a super camp, I just don’t see him any higher then 3rd liner. I think he can succeed on a line with Sobotka-Barbie-Megan.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think it's Kostin and Blais that stay. They've been running them on their off wings, which seems odd.

Reactions: KirkOut

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think it's Kostin and Blais that stay. They've been running them on their off wings, which seems odd.

I really think Kostin needs minor league seasoning. I think Blais and Tage will be the young duo that sticks. If only one, then Blais

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Thompson has been better than Kostin, but Thompson also probably has more filling out to do. So I definitely understand 1. rewarding a guy who is definitely ready physically and has gradually gotten better (in general) as he knocks the rust off, and 2. giving Thompson the opportunity to hit the NHL at a more developed point in his trajectory. My guess is that Megan is likelier than both.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Down to 32 players, but a lot of them are injured. To help me weed out the injuries and see who was still fighting for a spot, I broke it down like this:

Forwards (19 players, 14 spots, 3 out w/ injury, 1 questionable with injury, 1-2 cuts):
Locks: (1) Tarasenko, (2) Schwartz, (3) Stastny, (4) Schenn, (5 )Sobotka, (6) Brodziak
Probable: (7) Barbashev, (8) Jaskin, (9) Paajarvi, (10) Thorburn
Inj Questionable: (11) Steen
Still battling: (12) Sunqvist, (13) Blais, (14) Megan, (15) Kostin (16) Thompson
Inj Out: (17) Fabbri, (18) Berglund, (19) Sanford

Defense (9 players, 7 spots, 1 out w/ injury, 1 cut):
Locks: (1) Pietrangelo, (2) Parayko, (3) Edmundson, (4) Gunnarsson, (5) Bortuzzo
Probable: (6) Prosser
Battling: (7) Dunn, (8) Walman
Inj - Out: (9) Bouwmeester

Goalies (4 players, 2 spots, 1 injury, 1 to be cut)
Locks: (1) Allen, (2) Hutton
Inj-can't be cut yet: (3) Opilka
Waiting to be cut: (4) Binnington

I was surprised Binnie made it longer than Husso, but it doesn't really matter either way. I was really surprised Bennett was cut. He wasn't good, but I assumed he was a lock to sit in the press box as a one-way vet. I wouldn't be surprised if they just sent him down for to clear waivers for now, and will call him back to send him down again when Steen comes back. I was out right shocked Schmaltz was sent down. I thought he looked a ton better than Walman, and equal to Prosser (based on what I saw). He was decent when he was up with us last year. Its a tough blow for the kid. He's not waiver eligible, so there was no sneaking him through waivers shenanigans, he was plain cut.

My guesses for cuts are between Thompson and Kostin, and I am leaning keeping Kostin up. But I think they will both get sent down (either Steen is back, or they re-call Bennett until Steen is back). On defense, Walman has to be sent down.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I dont disagree that Thompson has looked better...just a feeling I get looking at lines and where they are playing... i also thought Fabbri would be fine, so dont take anything I say to the bank.... :cry:

It was said Binnington stayed up longer due to not being waiver exempt. Didnt want to put him on the wire yet. Husso>>>>>Binnington. Plus get him to SA asap.

Schmaltz was a shock but given we have Bort and Prosser.....I'm suprised Walman has done enough to stay but given practice lines, it may to just keep him up to work with him

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Kostin has been exciting, but I think they're going to want him to adjust to the North American game some more. Bleh seems like a lock now, and Megan is probably there with him. I like Thompson's chances, but he won't be up long if he starts the season here, I think. Eventually there's going to be an issue with him getting ice time.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Steen-Stastny-Schenn
Paajarvi-Sobotka-Blais
Megan-Brodziak-Jaskin

xx Thorburn, Thompson/Sundqvist

is what I would try and start off with

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Steen-Stastny-Schenn
Paajarvi-Sobotka-Blais
Megan-Brodziak-Jaskin

xx Thorburn, Thompson/Sundqvist

is what I would try and start off with
Very similar lines and this is who I expect.

The only difference is I'd probably switch Blais and Steen. I think Schenn and Blais compliment each other very well and I can see them clicking.

Reactions: KirkOut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad