2017-2018 Preseason/Training Camp Discussion Thread

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
The time is nearly here folks, today's the day players report to the team, with official practices beginning tomorrow. See schedule below.

Let's use this thread to discuss anything and everything preseason and training camp related, including lines, stand out rookies, PTOs, game day discussion perhaps, etc.

The Blues will open training camp on Friday, Sept. 15, at the IceZone.

Training Camp Schedule:

Friday, Sept. 15
Group A practice: 9 a.m.
Group B practice: 11:30 a.m.

Saturday, Sept. 16

Group B practice: 9 a.m.
Group A practice: 11:30 a.m.

Sunday, Sept. 17

Group A practice: 9 a.m.
Group B practice: 11:30 a.m.

Monday, Sept. 18

Group B practice: 9 a.m.
Group A practice: 11:30 a.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 19

Game group practice: 11:30 a.m.
Game at Dallas: 7:30 p.m. CT

Training Camp Roster

20pdi4i.jpg

PRESEASON SCHEDULE:

Tuesday September 19th
Blues @ Stars 7:30 CT

Wednesday September 20th
Blues vs Blue Jackets 7:00 CT

Friday September 22nd
Blues @ Capitals 6:00 CT

Saturday September 23rd
Blues vs Stars 7:00 CT

Sunday September 24th
Blues @ Penguins 7:00 CT

Tuesday September 26th
Blues @ Blue Jackets 6:00 PM

Thursday September 28th
Blues vs Wild (Kansas City) 7:00 CT

Sunday October 1st
Blues vs Capitals 2:00 CT

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Admittedly looking forward to JRs first real article on the Athletic. See what kind of stuff he comes up with. Hardly expect him to write with the analytic level of say Dellow. But will be nice to read a non cookie cutter article like the STLPD puts out. So far Thomas hasn't written an article that I could say falls below the level of what JR produced.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Tippett helping out as a "guest coach" for 5-6 days? Certainly interesting. I suppose it can't hurt as I highly respect Tippett. Perhaps under other circumstances (ie, if it was Oates :laugh:) it could be seen as a threat to Yeo but with Yeo being so comfortable with Tippett, it's probably a welcome voice to bounce ideas off of.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Admittedly looking forward to JRs first real article on the Athletic. See what kind of stuff he comes up with. Hardly expect him to write with the analytic level of say Dellow. But will be nice to read a non cookie cutter article like the STLPD puts out. So far Thomas hasn't written an article that I could say falls below the level of what JR produced.

Yeah, JR was pretty hemmed in with what he could write about as a beat writer for the PD. I've liked what I've read from some of the other Athletic writers so far - lots of quality in depth pieces exploring interiesting, seldom talked about or behind the scenes sort of topics - so hopefully JR will produce similar stuff. I think he will.

Thomas has been fine so far. He's not a hockey guy but neither was JR when he started. He'll be fine for basic info. Needs to get a little more familiar with the players still though as he referred to Kyrou as David Kyrou and misspelled Vannelli's name in his article this morning. Fairly minor stuff but it's evident of a guy learning as he's going.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Anybody going to the season ticket holder event next Tuesday where they're showing the game against Dallas on the jumbotron? Seems like it will be a fun time so I'm definitely planning on making my way out there. I'm so ready for the season to start.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Anybody going to the season ticket holder event next Tuesday where they're showing the game against Dallas on the jumbotron? Seems like it will be a fun time so I'm definitely planning on making my way out there. I'm so ready for the season to start.

I'm planning on being there, but it starts at 6:00 so I will likely be getting there late.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

Going to be at that. Friend of mine has had season tickets in his family since before he was born. Should be a fun time!

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I've always thought of schenn as more of a trigger man, is that incorrect? Would think we want a center with playmaking capabilities more so than another trigger man. I know Tarasenko is perfectly capable of finding his own opportunities but to have a playmaker with him as well would be perfect ya.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've always thought of schenn as more of a trigger man, is that incorrect? Would think we want a center with playmaking capabilities more so than another trigger man. I know Tarasenko is perfectly capable of finding his own opportunities but to have a playmaker with him as well would be perfect ya.

Depends on how you look at it. If everyone is still going to defer to Tarasenko then nothing will change and he will still get double coverage and shoot pucks off shins or pinned into the boards. Tarasenko needs another scoring threat on the ice with him to alleviate the problem. Thats why Fabbri is the best option. He has a top notch shot and passing skills...plus he's nimble AF.

Schenn would work best in the capacity to create space for Tarasenko by driving to the net and taking a defender with him, similar to what Backes did.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Tarasenko usually has the puck on his stick for a move or two before he takes a shot and I don't think that's just because he doesn't have anybody giving him the puck. Schwartz, Fabbri, Stastny, Steen, Lehtera, and the defense have all set him up very well over the years. He's just not a guy who stands in front of the net or lurks for a one-timer. And that's fine, because Tarasenko is way more than a shooter and he's so dangerous that he opens up space for his linemates. So they need to be able to score.

So what you really want is someone who can spring Tarasenko on the breakout and/or can drive the net. We rarely got to see Backes or Berglund with him - although I have liked Berglund centering Tarasenko in the few times it has happened. But I accept that even if that's due to Hitchcock, if those guys looked good together in practice, they'd end up together more in games.
So the style of player that seems to fit most with Tarasenko is honestly very much like Fabbri or Schwartz. Both have clicked with Tarasenko very well at times. If Fabbri can stick at center, he's very probably the man for the job.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
It would be interesting to see a player who drives the net and actually can finish a la schenn. But I would still rather fabbri be with tarasenko. They had killer chemistry for their brief time together.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It would be interesting to see a player who drives the net and actually can finish a la schenn. But I would still rather fabbri be with tarasenko. They had killer chemistry for their brief time together.

Fabbri also drives the net, he just does it a different way

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hockey is back. Finally.

Interested to see who looks good at center and which young guys make the team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, JR was pretty hemmed in with what he could write about as a beat writer for the PD. I've liked what I've read from some of the other Athletic writers so far - lots of quality in depth pieces exploring interiesting, seldom talked about or behind the scenes sort of topics - so hopefully JR will produce similar stuff. I think he will.

Thomas has been fine so far. He's not a hockey guy but neither was JR when he started. He'll be fine for basic info. Needs to get a little more familiar with the players still though as he referred to Kyrou as David Kyrou and misspelled Vannelli's name in his article this morning. Fairly minor stuff but it's evident of a guy learning as he's going.
JR grew up a Blues fan, he's always been a hockey fan.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Fabbri is the only player who can match Tarasenko's speed game. Either Fabbri can play center so be it, but if not he should stay with Tarasenko line.

I could see these pairs are good to build up team. Schwartz - Sobotka have long history to play together, I would love Yeo re-unite them.

Code:
Fabbri - x - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Stastny - x 
Steen - Stastny - x
Schwartz - Sobotka - x
x - Fabbri - Tarasenko

This is just crapshoot knowing haven't see Schenn, Bennett or Thorburn played single game in Blues, but I'll give a try.

Code:
Schenn - Fabbri - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Barbashev
Schwartz - Sobotka - Bennett (Berglund)
Pääjärvi - Brodziak - Thorburn

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
This is just crapshoot knowing haven't see Schenn, Bennett or Thorburn played single game in Blues, but I'll give a try.

Code:
Schenn - Fabbri - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Barbashev
Schwartz - Sobotka - Bennett (Berglund)
Pääjärvi - Brodziak - Thorburn

Schenn is best at RW. Schwartz on the third line? Move him up and bring down Barbashev.

The only player in the top 6 (Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Schenn, Stastny, Steen) that I'd be semi-ok with them playing in a third line sort of shut-down role would be Steen. That would push Barbashev up, which I'm not entirely opposed to.

Fabbri - Stastny - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Barbashev - Schenn
Steen - Sobotka - Bennett/Paajarvi

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Schenn is best at RW. Schwartz on the third line? Move him up and bring down Barbashev.

The only player in the top 6 (Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Schenn, Stastny, Steen) that I'd be semi-ok with them playing in a third line sort of shut-down role would be Steen. That would push Barbashev up, which I'm not entirely opposed to.

Fabbri - Stastny - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Barbashev - Schenn
Steen - Sobotka - Bennett/Paajarvi

Why would you break up pairs which have worked out well? Then add guy (Stastny) who doesn't click with Tarasenko. Schenn can play both sides.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Why would you break up pairs which have worked out well? Then add guy (Stastny) who doesn't click with Tarasenko. Schenn can play both sides.

Those would be my lines if we moved Steen down to the third line. Going into the season, I'd want to see this:

Steen - Fabbri - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Stastny - Schenn
Barbashev - Sobotka - Bennett/Paajarvi

Sobotka - Berglund - Barbashev when Berglund returns.

That gives you two lethal lines, and a solid third line that is responsible defensively and still has a bit of offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad