2017-2018 Preseason/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
is there a presser going on somewhere? Let's hope it's a 4-year deal with Jagr...take him right up to his age-50 season.
There was a presser with Armstrong and Fabbri to discuss his injury. Just ended about 5 minutes ago.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Jagr makes a lot of sense in my mind. We can give him quality linemates, we can give him a pretty easy workload in terms of defensive coverage, and he can certainly be a huge benefit to all of our young players. I would sign him even if he's a 30 point player at this point in his career. Plus the added merchandise sales wouldn't hurt.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
is there a presser going on somewhere? Let's hope it's a 4-year deal with Jagr...take him right up to his age-50 season.

The Blues had it streaming on periscope. Just ended.

Jagr would be a good addition, but I don't know if it's worth a year of experience for one of the young guys.

Right now, obviously most of us are in a Chicken Little state of mind, but the reality is that we're still pretty loaded with talent. Not to mention the fact that we have seven players from the past four drafts that are knocking on the door. The future is bright in St.Louis.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The Blues had it streaming on periscope. Just ended.

Jagr would be a good addition, but I don't know if it's worth a year of experience for one of the young guys.

Right now, obviously most of us are in a Chicken Little state of mind, but the reality is that we're still pretty loaded with talent. Not to mention the fact that we have seven players from the past four drafts that are knocking on the door. The future is bright in St.Louis.

As long as he isn't pushing Barbashev out of the top 9 Jagr is definitely worth picking up seeing TT and KK both look like they need some seasoning. He would be a good supporting RW to Steen and Stastny and moving Schenn between Schwartz-Tarasenko (If they are truely dead set to put Schenn down the middle) and would leave Blais, Sobotka, and Barbashev for the 3rd line until Bergy comes back and takes the spot from Blais.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Jagr
Blais-Barbashev-Sobotka

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would be surprised if they brought in Jagr. To me, him saying Jagr was discussed internally in near meaningless. A reporter specifically asked about Jagr and Army said he came up in internal discussion but they'd have to explore if he fit.

My take is they've already explored it and decided Jagr doesn't fit. He still has the hockey sense and puck protection but he's as slow as molasses and the Blues are trying to build a speed rush attack. Jagr can't do that. Jagr is really only good when his team had possession in the offensive zone. He's the exact opposite of versatile at this stage of his career and needs the perfect situation to perform well and not hurt the team.

Then factor in his asking price and Jagr just doesn't make sense. They might not even have the cap room for him anyway as they're not going to get much relief as Fabbri doesn't really even make that much.

Then why'd Army give the vague Jagr answer then? IMO, because he didn't want to tip his hand to other GMs that he's already eliminated Jagr from consideration. The other GMs have to be smelling blood in this situation so Army's going to have a hard enough time not getting fleeced. Admitting he's not considering Jagr would just hurt his cause further.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
Jeff Jones mentioned n Twitter that Josh Anderson and Andreas Athanasiou as two RFAs who could fit nicely with the Blues.

Thoughts on either player? Don't know much.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jeff Jones mentioned n Twitter that Josh Anderson and Andreas Athanasiou as two RFAs who could fit nicely with the Blues.

Thoughts on either player? Don't know much.
anderson is big and solid defensively. Tough to say how he ends up but worst case hes already a 3rd liner who can contribute however you want

aa is really fast with dangles

im a huge fan of both but dealing with that agent idk

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Is it though?

Last year we had a center depth of Stastny, Lehtera, Berglund, and Brodziak. Now we can have a depth of the 3/4 we did last year in addition to Barbeshev, Sundqvist, and Schenn for spells. I'd say that's better than what we are used to.

I don't think Schenn at center will move the needle much vs Lehtera and Barbashev is a pretty clear downgrade to the Berglund of last year.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'd prefer Athanasiou, all else being equal (trade cost, contract demands). Both are solid 3rd liners who can play in a variety of situations. Anderson uses his size well, and AA uses his skating. Posted very similar #s last year, but AA did it in 10 less games for a worse team. I think AAs offensive upside is greater, and he can play all 3 forward positions. Anderson is a RHS, which would be nice in the line-up. I choose AA because I think he has top line upside still.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't think Schenn at center will move the needle much vs Lehtera and Barbashev is a pretty clear downgrade to the Berglund of last year.

Is there a dislike button on the new site? How the !@#$ does adding a 55+-point player in Schenn not move the needle from Lehtera? Barbashev scored the same points per game as Berglund in less ice time last year. Sobotka provides better PK and face-offs than Berglund. Combined, they more than adequately replace what Berglund brought....and we will have Berglund back for the playoffs.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

This really doesn't make sense to me. Lehtera was a slow player whose only good quality was he was a decent passer. Schenn has better speed, shooting, and checking. As well as scoring 2.5 times more points.

While Barbs might not be better than Bergy, He's still only going on his 2nd year in the NHL and has already shown decent scoring abilities and good play at center + faceoffs and will only get better.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I feel like people are overrating Berglund's season last year. The guy did nothing the first half and then got hot in the second half. He was basically just a reverse Lehtera. Berglund was also invisible in the playoffs.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Is there a dislike button on the new site? How the !@#$ does adding a 55+-point player in Schenn not move the needle from Lehtera? Barbashev scored the same points per game as Berglund in less ice time last year. Sobotka provides better PK and face-offs than Berglund. Combined, they more than adequately replace what Berglund brought....and we will have Berglund back for the playoffs.

Schenn's accomplishments occurred at wing, the majority of it coming from a very good power play. The problem there is centers have a lot more responsibility, and Schenn has been said to be totally mediocre at the position. He hasn't really done much during the preseason to shake that idea. The other issue is that Yeo's powerplays are historically inept, which has been what we've seen since Shattenkirk left. Forcing Schenn to be a center for us may not work out that well. Barbashev has had extremely favorable minutes this far in his career, and when we've leaned on him for a bigger role, he didn't do much. Development is not a linear curve. We can't really be counting on him to be a big producer until he proves he can. Having him as our replacement for Berglund, the center to took the biggest matchups and produced at the same time, may be asking too much. He's a question mark, both these guys are. Sobotka is a decent option, but he's not better than Berglund.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Sobotka, Jaskin, and Jagr could be a good Czeching line. :rolly:
Are people just going to ignore this golden nugget of hilarity?! :laugh:

But seriously, my concern w/ Jagr is his skating and speed considering the type of system that Yeo is likely to implement. Still, I think he could be an effective player for us on a slightly sheltered 3rd line and 2nd PP unit. He would 100% be a positive influence on the youngsters (Blais, TT, KK, etc) tho! Contract might be an issue tho, wasn't Jagr looking for a multiple year deal w/ at least 3mill AAV?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Thallis
I was planning on responding in a similar way. The one thing I would add to the discussion is Schenn is both starting a new team and position. I know he has played some center before, but not very much in the NHL. I am willing to give him 20 games before I close the book on him at center, but so far he has underwhelmed.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Schenn is not a great center. I'll grant you that. But Lehtera is not a good hockey player, like. at all. You want to talk about favorable match-ups and linemates? Look up either and see a picture of ole Butterlegs. Schenn had more non-PP points the last two years than Lehtera had points of any kind. Schenn gets knocked for putting up most his points at wing, but Berglund does not? Berglund played a lot of wing last year, IIRC.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Schenn did not look good at center during the preseason, just doesn't have the hockey IQ to play in the middle of the ice. I'm open to giving him a shot there but I don't see it working out.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Are people just going to ignore this golden nugget of hilarity?! :laugh:

But seriously, my concern w/ Jagr is his skating and speed considering the type of system that Yeo is likely to implement. Still, I think he could be an effective player for us on a slightly sheltered 3rd line and 2nd PP unit. He would 100% be a positive influence on the youngsters (Blais, TT, KK, etc) tho! Contract might be an issue tho, wasn't Jagr looking for a multiple year deal w/ at least 3mill AAV?

I remember reading somewhere this summer that one of the reasons he hasn't signed anywhere yet is because he is holding out for a team that will guarantee him a Top 6 role. Personally, I just don't think he's a fit unless we're walking back from moving to a more up-tempo game.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I feel like people are overrating Berglund's season last year. The guy did nothing the first half and then got hot in the second half. He was basically just a reverse Lehtera. Berglund was also invisible in the playoffs.

23 goals and 34 points last year, if he gets any better, the blues won't be able to call him a third liner anymore

he went quiet in the last postseason, but historically has been an asset in the playoffs

i don't think he's overrated, i think people will always want more out of him than he can reliably bring

Last edited:

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
Yeo says Kostin won't play tonight. Wonder why? If you aren't going to play him, why not just cut him on Monday with everyone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad