2017-2018 Minnesota Wild General Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Even watching the teams, I thought the Wild completely dominated 2/5 games. The other 3 were close matches as expected.

The Wild absolutely out-played the Blues offensively, but the Blues' defense and Allen stole the series.

If it is possible to dominate without being dangerous, I agree, they did that. But when the Wild had the puck in the zone I very rarely ever felt like they were on the edge of scoring.....kinda like a kid swinging away while the bigger kid just holds him away at arms length till he gets tired.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
From Fletcher + Boudreau presser:

Explains why Granlund was invisible.

Bye bye Kuemper.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Kills me to say it but Granlund has gotta go while he still has value unless this series ruined what value he may have had. I loved his game the last half of the regular season but Yeo just provided the blueprint (pun intended) for how to not only shut him down but make him a complete non-factor.

Ok, I take it back. The broken hand changes my mind. But now it irritates me that they refused to admit that his game was compromised. He clearly shouldn't have been playing.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Ok, I take it back. The broken hand changes my mind. But now it irritates me that they refused to admit that his game was compromised. He clearly shouldn't have been playing.

Erik Karlsson's playing through a broken foot. Joe Thornton played through a torn ACL. Logan Couture played through facial fractures. Patrice Bergeron played through the entire season with hernias. Plenty of players endure injuries. I'm sure we'll hear more and more as teams continue to get knocked out of the playoffs.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Erik Karlsson's playing through a broken foot. Joe Thornton played through a torn ACL. Logan Couture played through facial fractures. Patrice Bergeron played through the entire season with hernias. Plenty of players endure injuries. I'm sure we'll hear more and more as teams continue to get knocked out of the playoffs.

Wild alone have 3 or 4 guys that GMCF said have to have surgery now that the year is over. Even Granlund said his hand was more of an annoyance than anything.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Question about contracts and I'm going to use zp's for my question. does the part that affects the salary cap (i.e. the percentage of the cap a player takes up) stay the same for the duration of the contract or does it decrease as the salary cap rises? To put in perspective zach's contract cost about 11% of cap space this year. Let's say the cap goes up 3 million (i know that might be a stretch but who knows) Would zach's contract take up 11% of the cap again next year or drop down to 10% and continue to drop as long as the cap rises for the duration of the contract? Hope that makes sense.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

If the hurt player is still more effective than the alternative then fine. Hard to convince anyone that watched the series that Granlund was more effective than a healthy scratch.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
If the hurt player is still more effective than the alternative then fine. Hard to convince anyone that watched the series that Granlund was more effective than a healthy scratch.

Uh... Granny was absolutely more effective than anyone we had waiting....

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wild alone have 3 or 4 guys that GMCF said have to have surgery now that the year is over. Even Granlund said his hand was more of an annoyance than anything.

Interesting, I hadn't heard/seen that quote about multiple players needing surgery.

Question about contracts and I'm going to use zp's for my question. does the part that affects the salary cap (i.e. the percentage of the cap a player takes up) stay the same for the duration of the contract or does it decrease as the salary cap rises? To put in perspective zach's contract cost about 11% of cap space this year. Let's say the cap goes up 3 million (i know that might be a stretch but who knows) Would zach's contract take up 11% of the cap again next year or drop down to 10% and continue to drop as long as the cap rises for the duration of the contract? Hope that makes sense.

Contracts have the same cap hit for each year of a contract, so nothing with percentages. His 7.5M or whatever remains the same no matter what the cap is.

I would recommend checking out this site: https://www.capfriendly.com/
Really friendly layout and easy to see our cap situation this year and going forward.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting, I hadn't heard/seen that quote about multiple players needing surgery.

Contracts have the same cap hit for each year of a contract, so nothing with percentages. His 7.5M or whatever remains the same no matter what the cap is.

I would recommend checking out this site: https://www.capfriendly.com/
Really friendly layout and easy to see our cap situation this year and going forward.

Well put. To put it into the perspective of cap%, it means that when the cap goes up, the cap% of each players contracts goes down. So, if Parise was taking 10% of the cap this year with his contract, and the cap goes up, his cap hit as a cap% could be more like 9% next year. Basically, it's just (his constant cap hit) / (total cap allowable) *100%.

This year the allowable cap for each team was around $73 million, so
(7.5 / 73) * 100% = 10.3%.

Say next year the cap increases to $74 million:
(7.5 / 74) *100% = 10.1%.

Note: I understand neither of you probably needed this mathematical explanation, but I'm a math geek so I enjoy doing it, and someone else who didn't understand might enjoy the complete explanation.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
After reading a Hockey Writers article with an alternative history of the Sabres if they'd accepted Edmonton's offer sheet to then-RFA Vanek in 07, now I'm starting to kinda hope someone tries to poach one of ours :D

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
The Russo-Souhan Show 97 - Russo gets gifts

At 48 minute mark Russo is asked if there's still a chemistry issue in the locker room, and goes on denying that, saying that it's a group of good guys and there's no infighting. However, he adds that there are some whiny guys there and he thinks there's mental weakness when things get tough. Boudreau made the team stay in a hotel before the home Game 5, and that apparently caused a lot of "*****ing and moaning". And then on the morning of Game 5 they had a mandatory team meeting at 8 AM which "everybody was ticked about".

I know Russo loves to gossip about the locker room stuff, and this is hardly the key to their series loss, but I just find it incredibly weak. These guys are paid millions of dollars to play a freaking game and they ***** and moan about having to stay in a hotel? Gimme a ****ing break.

Double

Feb 14, 2008

At 48 minute mark Russo is asked if there's still a chemistry issue in the locker room, and goes on denying that, saying that it's a group of good guys and there's no infighting. However, he adds that there are some whiny guys there and he thinks there's mental weakness when things get tough. Boudreau made the team stay in a hotel before the home Game 5, and that apparently caused a lot of "*****ing and moaning". And then on the morning of Game 5 they had a mandatory team meeting at 8 AM which "everybody was ticked about".

I know Russo loves to gossip about the locker room stuff, and this is hardly the key to their series loss, but I just find it incredibly weak. These guys are paid millions of dollars to play a freaking game and they ***** and moan about having to stay in a hotel? Gimme a ****ing break.
What a joke. Doesn't sound very "#COMM17TED" to me. More like "#ENT17TLED"

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

I'd totally agree about the mental weakness. I thought we got over that though this year...in the playoffs it's like oh we're down 1-0, we lost...

Those guys should be able to get up at 8 am for a meeting, it's still your job boys. hopefully Russo was just spreading false rumors.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I'd totally agree about the mental weakness. I thought we got over that though this year...in the playoffs it's like oh we're down 1-0, we lost...

Those guys should be able to get up at 8 am for a meeting, it's still your job boys. hopefully Russo was just spreading false rumors.

I was going to say how do we know this isn't a another fake Kessel hot dog story? Not the staying at hotel part but the complaining part.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So much of that could be subjective though. I didn't listen to the podcast, but "a lot of *****ing and moaning" could have just been a couple players complaining because their wives reamed them out on the phone when they told them they wouldn't be home to help with the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad