2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Good. Unless teams come to Benning and offer a lot, there's no reason to move him. If the forwards and defense are gonna develop, they need someone like Tanev to stabilize the D core to serve as a perfect partner and get the puck to the forwards efficiently. Or ya know, we can just have Gudbranson bank it off the boards and pass to the oppositions goalie on the top pairing of Tanev is moved.

I agree that there's no reason to trade him if you can't get a good enough offer, but for a team that is allegedly rebuilding, to not even shop him is foolhardy.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Almost as if the best time to acquire additional picks is during the season and especially at the deadline, when picks are absolutely flying around the league for marginal players.

I just love how he constantly builds in excuses and tamps down expectations for things that even average GMs are able to accomplish.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Almost as if the best time to acquire additional picks is during the season and especially at the deadline, when picks are absolutely flying around the league for marginal players.

I just love how he constantly builds in excuses and tamps down expectations for things that even average GMs are able to accomplish.

For years now he and Linden have just said whatever fits the narrative for them at the moment. Sure he seems honest and open etc but it's just the same old, day late a dollar too short excuses from a group that consistently has been a let down since they were brought in and then resigned. Not enough prospects to start out, too many no movements, too many injuries, all kesler's fault for demanding teams, uncertainty from sedins, no teams want to trade, no picks available bla bla bla bla = worst stretch of canuck's hockey in its history.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Same thing happens every year. Picks are handed out like candy at the trade deadline, then at the draft teams predictably are more reluctant to give them up. Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone yet here we are..

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
From Friedmans 31 thoughts:

5. Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver.

I don't know what we would possibly offer honestly. I could see them dangling the seventh overall in favor of getting a defenseman further in his development, but that doesn't make sense for Carolina.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Well,lets just clear up any grey area ,and present the data before the draft..?
But he said "I definitely will"? Did you miss that?

Like, what? Or do you not realize that Canucks picks are 100% depended on who is available at that point? That the data gathering isn't complete until the Canucks are on the clock? Is that your issue here? Would not surprise anyone of course.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But he said "I definitely will"? Did you miss that?

Like, what? Or do you not realize that Canucks picks are 100% depended on who is available at that point? That the data gathering isn't complete until the Canucks are on the clock? Is that your issue here? Would not surprise anyone of course.
He said he definitely will 'after the draft'...
" An idiot with access to nothing but biographical data and basic stats can do as well as most GM's."

That's his claim...so whats the big deal about giving us the data before the draft?

Last edited:

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
From Friedmans 31 thoughts:
5. Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver.
I don't know what we would possibly offer honestly. I could see them dangling the seventh overall in favor of getting a defenseman further in his development, but that doesn't make sense for Carolina.
Hm. Does some combination of Hutton + Lind + get Hanafin?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
" An idiot with access to nothing but biographical data and basic stats can do as well as most GM's."

That's his claim.so whats the big deal about giving us the data before the draft?

How about, because I have worked really f***ing hard on it and I'm not thrilled to hand the entire data set for free to someone who is insulting me about it.

I will post the top ten or twenty or so before the draft.

I will make picks in time with the Canucks, knowing which players are available with each selection because you need to know who is available before you can make a pick.

Other than that, whether or not I choose to share any more of the data, I haven't decided yet.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Yeah but he's expecting to get a good player with the seventh overall pick. That's a relief. I was worried about that.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Please tell us what kind of hindsight tells you who were the correct picks 5 minutes after the draft ended. I'm looking forward for your answer.

There is some hindsight is involved, and we see it every year in the "so you think you can draft" thread. The bias is that you can see where a prospect goes so you can know whether to draft him with your fifth or whether you can still get him with your sixth.

I have intentionally built it so that it doesn't know this, which means that it does things like taking Gadjovich with our second not knowing we can get him with our third. For this reason, it is at a disadvantage compared to the so you think you can draft thread but this disadvantage is reflective of one the canucks have (although at least they can use insider knowledge to influence it.)

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I have intentionally built it so that it doesn't know this, which means that it does things like taking Gadjovich with our second not knowing we can get him with our third. For this reason, it is at a disadvantage compared to the so you think you can draft thread but this disadvantage is reflective of one the canucks have (although at least they can use insider knowledge to influence it.)
Personally, I think a useful thing would be to post a top 62 (first two rounds) based on your model right now and if you're up to it, a running commentary of who you think should be drafted next as the draft progresses. It's one thing to sort a list compared to the actual making of a list.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
How about, because I have worked really ****ing hard on it and I'm not thrilled to hand the entire data set for free to someone who is insulting me about it.

I will post the top ten or twenty or so before the draft.

I will make picks in time with the Canucks, knowing which players are available with each selection because you need to know who is available before you can make a pick.

Other than that, whether or not I choose to share any more of the data, I haven't decided yet.

Put google adsense on your site... and do the 1st round in real time. Around the boards, in their draft threads, post "your team's picks vs. a potato.

Then after the draft, do draft picks vs. the potato... categorized round-by-round and team-by-team.

Before the draft, do a mock first round, with link to your site... who the potato predicts should be 1st overall, 2nd overall with first overall taken, etc.

My $.02

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Personally, I think a useful thing would be to post a top 62 (first two rounds) based on your model right now and if you're up to it, a running commentary of who you think should be drafted next as the draft progresses. It's one thing to sort a list compared to the actual making of a list.

A running commentary would be pretty useless. Guys like kaut and lundeström are in the top ten so those will be the "next player" for probably 20 picks until they are finally taken. I mean if I had done that for 2011 it would have been "Nikita Kucherov" for like 50 picks in a row. And then in 2015 it would have been Robin Kovacs. Win some, lose some.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
A running commentary would be pretty useless. Guys like kaut and lundeström are in the top ten so those will be the "next player" for probably 20 picks until they are finally taken. I mean if I had done that for 2011 it would have been "Nikita Kucherov" for like 50 picks in a row. And then in 2015 it would have been Robin Kovacs. Win some, lose some.
Fair point.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

That's his claim...so whats the big deal about giving us the data before the draft?

Its not difficult to understand that you can only post the Canucks picks when you know who went before them. If you dont wait for that than of course Dahlin will be at #1. Only if you know who went from 1 to 6 you can look who is the highest remaining on your list.

But oh well, looking at your posts here on this topic it might be difficult after all.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Its not difficult to understand that you can only post the Canucks picks when you know who went before them. If you dont wait for that than of course Dahlin will be at #1. Only if you know who went from 1 to 6 you can look who is the highest remaining on your list.

But oh well, looking at your posts here on this topic it might be difficult after all.
Uh. You can post a top 62 list that shows the order you'd pick players and then the data is out there for everyone else to dig into and see who should've picked what. i.e. if the top is on the sheet is Dahlen, Svechnikov, Zadina and someone picks someone else 3rd - you know that team didn't pick accordingly.

From there it's pretty easy to figure out who the Canucks should've picked, because it'll be the highest player remaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->