eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Would anyone be opposed to a kid line?

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Bailey
Beauvillier-Barzal-Ho-Sang
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kulemin/Prince/Quine

Maybe a trade of Nelson, Kulemin, 2018 1st, CGY's conditional 2nd for Duchene or Galchenyuk?

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Duchene/Galchenyuk-Bailey
Prince/Quine

If Barzal is NHL ready, that's a pretty awesome forward group. I've always had a feeling Barzal and Beauvillier could have chemistry in the NHL and will play together regularly. Beau has a ton of potential to score more goals.

We have to see if Barzal is even going to make the team. He made need some seasoning at Bridgeport first.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Barzal makes the team, I would like to see him start between Ladd and Eberle. If I remember correctly, Barzal looked pretty good between Ladd and Parenteau during last preseason while Tavares was at the World Cup, so I'd definitely go back to that mesh of players on the wings of Barzal.

In addition, Beauvillier and Ho-Sang seemed to be developing chemistry last year, so I would keep them together as well.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang
Chimera/Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine

Might have to waive Quine if there are no injuries, can't see them trading Chimera/Kulemin. Prince is likely getting traded or waived regardless.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If we don't make any deals, here's a thought which is an attempt at spreading around scoring (I'm sure the 4th line will be popular around here):

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Beauvillier-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Ladd-Barzal-Chimera
Bailey-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Kulemin/Prince/Quine

But this tells me we really need to make a deal....

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Bailey
Kulemin/Prince/Quine

If there's any sign whatsoever of Barzal being better served by a year in the AHL, then they'll not play him ahead of Quine, Prince, and Kulemin.

In addition, I'm thinking that Beau will see considerable time up the middle.

This thread is, however, premature. It's a safe assumption that the current roster will change by October.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Barzal makes the team, I would like to see him start between Ladd and Eberle. If I remember correctly, Barzal looked pretty good between Ladd and Parenteau during last preseason while Tavares was at the World Cup, so I'd definitely go back to that mesh of players on the wings of Barzal.

In addition, Beauvillier and Ho-Sang seemed to be developing chemistry last year, so I would keep them together as well.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang
Chimera/Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Quine

Might have to waive Quine if there are no injuries, can't see them trading Chimera/Kulemin. Prince is likely getting traded or waived regardless.

That's the best lineup. Can swap a lot of pieces if things aren't clicking as well.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
That's the best lineup. Can swap a lot of pieces if things aren't clicking as well.

I just cant imagine Eberle not starting on Jt's wing. If it doesnt work out then i can see him on the second line, however I believe he was brought in to play next to JT.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just cant imagine Eberle not starting on Jt's wing. If it doesnt work out then i can see him on the second line, however I believe he was brought in to play next to JT.

I agree that's what will likely happen, but I don't think it's the best move.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
If we don't make any deals, here's a thought which is an attempt at spreading around scoring (I'm sure the 4th line will be popular around here):

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Barzal-Chimera

Kulemin/Prince/Quine

It's very possible that even if Barzal kills it in camp he is sent down to the Tigers.
Numbers thing just like happened to Lee.
Figuring Ho Sang and Tito don't fall off they make the opening night lineup.
Kulemin and Chimera will both play .
Quine makes the team and Prince gets waived. If not claimed great for us.
Once injuries hit there will be playing time for everyone.

Lee. JT. Eberle
Ladd. Tito. Ho Sang
Bailey Nelson. Chimera
Kulemin. Cc. Cc

Quine

Hate Nelson as a top 6 center and don't want Bailey at center.
Quine has to wait his turn for an injury.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Barzal-Chimera

Kulemin/Prince/Quine

No matter how you shuffle these 12 players, this is no way this team is better than last years's. There must be more moves made. And WTF, Bailey on the 4th line with 3 greenhorns in the top 9? Doubt it.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Lee-JT-Eberle

You don't trade for Eberle to put him with our second best center and Lee at this point can't be moved off the line after 34 goals.

Bailey-Nelson-HoSang

Don't really like the line but its a defensively reliable vet. and quazi playmaker in Bailey. 20 goal guy in nelson and a lot of speed with ho-sang. MIGHT work.

Ladd-Barzal-Chimera

Lets be honest with ourselves...If Barzal cant make the team due to his play, I'm officially concerned however I don't think that will be the case. In fact I think he forces Weight/Snow's hand and they end up giving him two 20 goal scorers that can grind. Chimmer is fast and they will play a smart game for our future #2 playmaking center.

Beauvillier-Cizikas-Clutter

I would actually rather have Bailey instead of Beauvillier here but I think he will def. be in the top 6. Cal has to contribute more as well as zeeker, maybe Beauvillier can bring them back to a respectable 4th line.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
No matter how you shuffle these 12 players, this is no way this team is better than last years's. There must be more moves made. And WTF, Bailey on the 4th line with 3 greenhorns in the top 9? Doubt it.

I have real trouble finding a spot for Bailey. I think Eberle was obtained to play with JT on the 1st line. Bailey can't play with Nelson - too much Meh for one line. And since I had Barzal at 3C, Bailey couldn't go with him either because they are both pass-first guys. So that left 4th line LW. Considering what we're paying our 4th liners though, it's not a true 4th line. He'd get decent ice time and I think his game would actually match up well with Cizikas and Clutterbuck. Free yourself of the 4th line stigma and realize the possibilities!! ;)

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Lee-JT-Eberle

You don't trade for Eberle to put him with our second best center and Lee at this point can't be moved off the line after 34 goals.

Bailey-Nelson-HoSang

Don't really like the line but its a defensively reliable vet. and quazi playmaker in Bailey. 20 goal guy in nelson and a lot of speed with ho-sang. MIGHT work.

Ladd-Barzal-Chimera

Lets be honest with ourselves...If Barzal cant make the team due to his play, I'm officially concerned however I don't think that will be the case. In fact I think he forces Weight/Snow's hand and they end up giving him two 20 goal scorers that can grind. Chimmer is fast and they will play a smart game for our future #2 playmaking center.

Beauvillier-Cizikas-Clutter

I would actually rather have Bailey instead of Beauvillier here but I think he will def. be in the top 6. Cal has to contribute more as well as zeeker, maybe Beauvillier can bring them back to a respectable 4th line.
I frankly don't like the idea of Beauvillier on the 4th line, such a waste of his offensive potential. Maybe switch Chimera with Beauvillier and that would make more sense to me.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple's gut feelings on the lines...

Anders Lee-John Tavares-Jordan Eberle

Andrew Ladd-Brock Nelson-Josh Ho-Sang

Jason Chimera-Mathew Barzal-Josh Bailey

Nikolay Kulemin-Casey Cizikas-Cal Clutterbuck

Nick Leddy-Johnny Boychuk

Calvin de Haan-Ryan Pulock

Thomas Hickey-Scott Mayfield

Jaroslav Halak

Thomas Greiss

Extras: Alan Quine, Adam Pelech, Dennis Seidenberg

This would mean Anthony Beauvillier starts the season in Bridgeport; I could see Barzal starting there if Beauvillier, as expected, plays his tail off in camp. This doesn’t mean the Islanders aren’t making any more moves before September or that they definitely are, just looking at what they’ve got now and trying to make sense of it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
^ Interesting that he feels Pelech is the extra defensman. Am I forgetting an injury he had at the end of the year?

Pelech had that blood issue/injury at the end of 2016 - he was out for most of the second half I believe. Played in 44 games tho last year while starting in BPort.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

I think I agree with you (pretty bold statement)

Lee - Tavares - Eberle
Ladd - Nelson - Bailey
Chimera - Beauvillier - Ho-Sang
Kulemin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Prince - Barzal - Quine

Leddy - Boychuk
deHaan - Pulock
Hickey - Pelech/Mayfield

Halak/Greiss

(and some shifting in the lines are immaterial to your overall point - are we better?!)

The optimistic side sees this, versus last year:
- better first line scoring - Lee finished very strong, Eberle-JT hopefully mesh well and show some chemistry. I don't believe the first line was a problem last year but even if this is a wash vs. last year, no big deal

- better secondary scoring - I'd lean to yes. Full year of Ho-Sang who showed amazing skill last year. Love Beauvillier's play down the stretch, defensively as well. Ladd should be better.

- defensive play on lines 2/3 - the lack of scoring combined with the poor defensive play last year was the silent killer. While we like to blame the sub-par seasons of Hamonic, Hickey, Leddy, I believe the real cause of this was the terrible play of the secondary forwards. Terrible offensive zone pressure and defensive zone coverage, strength, etc. Prince, Quine, Chimera/Ladd had an awful 1st half - this absolutely needs improvement. I think whatever we get offensively from Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Barzal comes with risk on the defensive side. That worries me.

- Hamonic - I think this is a huge loss, even though he had a bad year.

- Pulock - I think he can be more effective offensively/PP than he'll hurt defensively - but it's a rik

- Goaltending. - should be much better. There's two 1A goalies. If they can stay healthy we should be good in goal.

So, overall, I see much of the same. Hopefully it's the second-half (Weight) team we see and not the first half (Capuano) team. To expect one extreme or the other is equally dangerous. If I'm the GM, I don't start the year with this roster, but Snow may not have many options at this stage.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think I agree with you (pretty bold statement)

Lee - Tavares - Eberle
Ladd - Nelson - Bailey
Chimera - Beauvillier - Ho-Sang
Kulemin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Prince - Barzal - Quine

Leddy - Boychuk
deHaan - Pulock
Hickey - Pelech/Mayfield

Halak/Greiss

(and some shifting in the lines are immaterial to your overall point - are we better?!)

The optimistic side sees this, versus last year:
- better first line scoring - Lee finished very strong, Eberle-JT hopefully mesh well and show some chemistry. I don't believe the first line was a problem last year but even if this is a wash vs. last year, no big deal

- better secondary scoring - I'd lean to yes. Full year of Ho-Sang who showed amazing skill last year. Love Beauvillier's play down the stretch, defensively as well. Ladd should be better.

- defensive play on lines 2/3 - the lack of scoring combined with the poor defensive play last year was the silent killer. While we like to blame the sub-par seasons of Hamonic, Hickey, Leddy, I believe the real cause of this was the terrible play of the secondary forwards. Terrible offensive zone pressure and defensive zone coverage, strength, etc. Prince, Quine, Chimera/Ladd had an awful 1st half - this absolutely needs improvement. I think whatever we get offensively from Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Barzal comes with risk on the defensive side. That worries me.

- Hamonic - I think this is a huge loss, even though he had a bad year.

- Pulock - I think he can be more effective offensively/PP than he'll hurt defensively - but it's a rik

- Goaltending. - should be much better. There's two 1A goalies. If they can stay healthy we should be good in goal.

So, overall, I see much of the same. Hopefully it's the second-half (Weight) team we see and not the first half (Capuano) team. To expect one extreme or the other is equally dangerous. If I'm the GM, I don't start the year with this roster, but Snow may not have many options at this stage.

Agree about the goaltending. Even if one gets injured (as long as it's not season-ending) we should be fine. No more three goalie circus. They should split games and if one gets really hot, stay with him for a string of games.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Bailey
Kulemin/Prince/Quine

Maybe a trade of Nelson, Kulemin, 2018 1st, CGY's conditional 2nd for Duchene or Galchenyuk?

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Duchene/Galchenyuk-Bailey
Prince/Quine

If Barzal is NHL ready, that's a pretty awesome forward group. I've always had a feeling Barzal and Beauvillier could have chemistry in the NHL and will play together regularly. Beau has a ton of potential to score more goals.
I'm not opposed to kid lines as a general concept, but I don't particularly like the chemistry of this one. Too small, and too much of a pass first mentality. I wouldn't play Barzal and Ho-Sang on the same line, as both are most effective with the puck on their stick. If Barzal makes the team, I'd lean more towards something like:

Lee-Tavares-JHS
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Bailey
Kulemin

Nelson/Bailey and Barzal to swap if Barzal isn't quite ready for full time center duties.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'm not opposed to kid lines as a general concept, but I don't particularly like the chemistry of this one. Too small, and too much of a pass first mentality. I wouldn't play Barzal and Ho-Sang on the same line, as both are most effective with the puck on their stick. If Barzal makes the team, I'd lean more towards something like:

Lee-Tavares-JHS
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Bailey
Kulemin

Nelson/Bailey and Barzal to swap if Barzal isn't quite ready for full time center duties.

Beauvilier was a big shooter in junior and I think he can be that in the NHL but it's too early to tell what type of player he'll become. I think it's pretty clear what Ho-Sang and Barzal are already - they're all about speed/puck-handling/passing and will likely always struggle with shooting, strength/board battles and probably defensive play.

I see those two like I see Mitch Marner (who I think is incredible) - hopefully they can approach that level of output in the next season or two (or three)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Beauvilier was a big shooter in junior and I think he can be that in the NHL but it's too early to tell what type of player he'll become. I think it's pretty clear what Ho-Sang and Barzal are already - they're all about speed/puck-handling/passing and will likely always struggle with shooting, strength/board battles and probably defensive play.

I see those two like I see Mitch Marner (who I think is incredible) - hopefully they can approach that level of output in the next season or two (or three)
Obviously it would be amazing if they turn out as good as Marner, but Marner was a much better goal scorer in juniors than either Barzal or Ho-Sang, so expecting them to be as good in the NHL as him in that regard seems a bit optimistic to me. And while yes, Beauvillier does show good goal scoring instincts and skills, I'd still prefer more than one guy thinking shot on a line with either Barzal or Ho-Sang is all.

Flanking Barzal with two guys who think shot first and have great shots, not to mention veterans who can help insulate his mistakes and hide his defensive shortcomings seems a better way to work him into the NHL. And I think Ho-Sang works better with Tavares and Lee, both of whom excel at finding good scoring positions where Ho-Sang can get them the puck. Not to mention, both Tavares and Lee struggle with zone entries which Ho-Sang is fantastic at. Overall, it just seems to have a lot more chemistry and balance than a kid line, IMO.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
^ Interesting that he feels Pelech is the extra defensman. Am I forgetting an injury he had at the end of the year?

We protected him. Would be interesting if they didn't see him in the top 6. Same with Pulock.

I think Pelech or Pulock has a good chance at the No 2 spot. Boychuk as Plan C if the first 2 fail. Allows for pairings of CdH/Seids and Hickey/Boychuk. Both are strong pairings. The isles D looks very good.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Obviously it would be amazing if they turn out as good as Marner, but Marner was a much better goal scorer in juniors than either Barzal or Ho-Sang, so expecting them to be as good in the NHL as him in that regard seems a bit optimistic to me. And while yes, Beauvillier does show good goal scoring instincts and skills, I'd still prefer more than one guy thinking shot on a line with either Barzal or Ho-Sang is all.

Flanking Barzal with two guys who think shot first and have great shots, not to mention veterans who can help insulate his mistakes and hide his defensive shortcomings seems a better way to work him into the NHL. And I think Ho-Sang works better with Tavares and Lee, both of whom excel at finding good scoring positions where Ho-Sang can get them the puck. Not to mention, both Tavares and Lee struggle with zone entries which Ho-Sang is fantastic at. Overall, it just seems to have a lot more chemistry and balance than a kid line, IMO.

Marner's definitely on the high-end of what we can hope of Barzal and Ho-Sang but they play a very similar style, strengths and weaknesses. Marner's got a terrible shot but his offensive instincts/pure vision and hockey sense is as good as anyone I've ever seen outside of 66 & 99. He's like a quicker Patrick Kane (I know, hyperbole, but not really)

As electrifying as Ho-Sang was in his stint last year, hopefully he can keep it going for 82PLUS next year. He certainly wasn't an elite AHLer for much of the season so let's hope for the best.

And while I agree Tavares - Ho-Sang seems like a great fit, I think we can all agree that it's Eberle's role to lose and he'll get a much longer look than Ladd did last year. But let's see what happens.

I think the Isles lack some pure shooters at this time. I think Tavares can morph into a shooter/scorer (like he did with Boyes/Moulson in his Hart-nominee lockout year), maybe Ladd who's got a pretty good shot, Lee's not really a shooter but amazing at finishing around the net.

I think if Nelson could learn to release quicker (he's got a slower release than Okposo, if that's even possible) it would help his game IMMENSELY. You can see how much he struggles when he's not given time/space in the slot, to get that is-he-ever-going-to-shoot wicked wrist shot off.

Otherwise it's pretty limited. Clutterbuck has a great wrist-shot but very slow release and lacks hockey sense to get into scoring positions. Same for Kulemin who's got a very good shot but never in a position to release it. I'm hopeful for Beauvillier but I don't think he was strong enough, hard enough shot last year, to beat NHL goalies (not unlike Tavares' early struggles)

I like the "potential" on the roster, in terms of potential to generate offense (puck possession, creating off the rush and on the cycle) - but still, a lot has to go right for this team to be a playoff team in the not-so-great-but-improving-rapidly east.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Marner's definitely on the high-end of what we can hope of Barzal and Ho-Sang but they play a very similar style, strengths and weaknesses. Marner's got a terrible shot but his offensive instincts/pure vision and hockey sense is as good as anyone I've ever seen outside of 66 & 99. He's like a quicker Patrick Kane (I know, hyperbole, but not really)

As electrifying as Ho-Sang was in his stint last year, hopefully he can keep it going for 82PLUS next year. He certainly wasn't an elite AHLer for much of the season so let's hope for the best.
No argument on these, though I do think Ho-Sang was crippled in the AHL for a bit having to play Capuano's system that destroyed everyone's offense. His AHL production sky rocketed after the coaching change.

And while I agree Tavares - Ho-Sang seems like a great fit, I think we can all agree that it's Eberle's role to lose and he'll get a much longer look than Ladd did last year. But let's see what happens.
Do we all agree that? I think Eberle will need to earn that spot -- or at least, I hope he will. Bailey and JHS should absolutely be in the running for it. I more thought Eberle was brought in to balance out the PP with a righty option at forward. I will say though that Eberle will have a better shot at it if Barzal isn't ready, as we'll need JHS' dynamism on one of the non-Tavares lines and Bailey may even be needed as a center.

I think the Isles lack some pure shooters at this time. I think Tavares can morph into a shooter/scorer (like he did with Boyes/Moulson in his Hart-nominee lockout year), maybe Ladd who's got a pretty good shot, Lee's not really a shooter but amazing at finishing around the net.

I think if Nelson could learn to release quicker (he's got a slower release than Okposo, if that's even possible) it would help his game IMMENSELY. You can see how much he struggles when he's not given time/space in the slot, to get that is-he-ever-going-to-shoot wicked wrist shot off.

Otherwise it's pretty limited. Clutterbuck has a great wrist-shot but very slow release and lacks hockey sense to get into scoring positions. Same for Kulemin who's got a very good shot but never in a position to release it. I'm hopeful for Beauvillier but I don't think he was strong enough, hard enough shot last year, to beat NHL goalies (not unlike Tavares' early struggles)

I like the "potential" on the roster, in terms of potential to generate offense (puck possession, creating off the rush and on the cycle) - but still, a lot has to go right for this team to be a playoff team in the not-so-great-but-improving-rapidly east.

I agree with a lot of what you write here, but at the end of the day, the Islanders last season were a top 5 club in the NHL for goals at 5 on 5, so my concern isn't so much about the lines scoring enough. PP getting fixed and team defense holding up are my bigger concerns, along with Snow not creating another goaltending headache.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Beau definitely has the tools to score goals in the NHL. He has a great shot. Finished nicely on a couple breakaways last year. I think he has a really big opportunity this year, especially if he plays with JHS. I wouldn't mind him between Lee and Bailey at some point.

JHS and Barzal definitely pass first guys. I don't think Barzal makes the team out of camp. I'm hoping for huge things from JHS. I think he's the most talented player we have seen come to the isles since Johnny. I don't think he will put up the same numbers as JT because he won't ever score big goal totals, but wow, he was very impressive last year.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Staple "gut feeling" is a total aberration! Beauvillier was the sixth best scorer in our team in the final stretch of last season and he sees him starting in the American league? What a lack of respect!

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

If Beauvillier had started last season strong and finished poorly, than I would understand the reasoning to start him in the AHL, but that's not what happen ; the more the season advanced, the better he became.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad