2017-2018 Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Other than signing Williams to a 1 year, whatever we can afford type of deal, no thanks on any UFA's

This is the ideal/safe play. He replaces Hossa's offensive production and there will be little term/aav risk in the deal. It allows them to compete now and also work on finding a replacement in 1-2 years.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Toews, Kane, Anisimov, Saad, Keith, Seabrook, Murphy, Crawford are all re-signed for 3 more years.

The truth is there is just no one left you need to worry about re-signing. Unless you can't stand the loss of Richard Panik in 2019.

The truth is the Hawks are locked in and post Hossa and Kruger deals are in a pretty sweet spot cap-wise.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
At the deadline prices are insane, the Hawks have a shallow and unspectacular prospect pool to make a deal and they are missing a 2nd round pick already. 5M in cap space is a sunk cost, use it or lose it. There are guys that I'd overpay right now, they cost only money and the alternative is getting no one.

It's a fair point about the deadline. But cap space also would soak up some bonuses, which would help next years team. I don't know how much bonuses will be a factor now that AP is gone.

As to the use it or lose it, if it's a 1 year deal, I have no problem. Take a chance on a guy and if it doesn't work out, oh well. But you originally mentioned the "big fish" which you aren't going to land with 1 year deals and those are the contracts that teams often regret. I want no part of that. Hawks need to look to the Brad Richards type of contract.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It's a fair point about the deadline. But cap space also would soak up some bonuses, which would help next years team. I don't know how much bonuses will be a factor now that AP is gone.

As to the use it or lose it, if it's a 1 year deal, I have no problem. Take a chance on a guy and if it doesn't work out, oh well. But you originally mentioned the "big fish" which you aren't going to land with 1 year deals and those are the contracts that teams often regret. I want no part of that. Hawks need to look to the Brad Richards type of contract.

If you want one year deals the funny thing is the best candidates for those are Hawks alums. Campbell, Sharp can both play, the gamble is just health and age creeping up. Oduya, Versteeg as well. Gagner fits the bill as a non Hawk alum.

I personally would sign Brian Boyle to replace Kruger and hope I have enough space left over for Sharp and Campbell.

3x4 for Boyle
1 for Campbell
1 for Sharp.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I meant 3mx4

Why not just keep Kruger with less term at that point? At least we know that Q will trust him when giving him awful deployment assignments. I sort of want to keep some cap flexibility for 2018-2019 in case Tavares hits the market.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Why not just keep Kruger with less term at that point? At least we know that Q will trust him when giving him awful deployment assignments. I sort of want to keep some cap flexibility for 2018-2019 in case Tavares hits the market.

Boyle is better than Kruger on FO, more size, and Kruger's wrist is shattered and I think his NHL days are almost over. He is a shell. Very similar to Kruger defensively. Has always been right there with Kruger in that regard

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
When is the last time a guy of Taveres' caliber hit FA and changed teams? You want to outbid Toronto if he does?

That's a pipe dream.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'm pretty sure Hawks have about $4.8mil cap space, a bit more or a bit less. This is with Kruger and Hossa gone.

I think we should try to sign Justin Williams for 2 years $3m AAV. If Hossa returns next year, which is highly unlikely at this point, but if he does, we already have him covered and Williams too because we get that $3.5m bonus back, cap will rise again about $1mil and we don't have any significant raises coming. And if Hossa doesn't come back, we have again that cap space for next summer.

I really think our core moving forward about 3-4 years is going to be around Keith, Toews, Kane, Saad, Seabrook, Murphy, Crawford, Hayden, Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Hartman and then we have this additions like Williams. A pretty optimistic to say but I don't think the situation is that bad and I think Bowman is retooling the Blackhawks on the fly.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm not worried about their ability to reload up front. I'm worried about their ability to reload on D. If they can find a coach that can work with an average group should Kempny/Forsling/Rutta/Murphy not really take off (like Sullivan in PIT), then they can be a contender imo. They'll have the offensive talent regardless.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I like Williams but he is a RW. Kane and Panik are there. If you push Panik down to 3rd line his effectiveness is ruined with a line like Hartman/Kero.

Need LW for Kane or D, IMO. Hell Debrincat is a RW too. Can't push a sniper off his wing and move him to left either. It's a whole different game for guys like that if you do it. Same with Schmaltz. Don't think he works as a LW solution for Kane.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Reading comprehension.

Even 4x3mil makes me cry again. We don't need him that long.

He will be 33 by December. Maximum two years and I'm fine with it. He can't keep up longer than that.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'm not worried about their ability to reload up front. I'm worried about their ability to reload on D. If they can find a coach that can work with an average group should Kempny/Forsling/Rutta/Murphy not really take off (like Sullivan in PIT), then they can be a contender imo. They'll have the offensive talent regardless.

I forgot to mention about our possible D prospects who I think could crack to our core moving forward. I like Carlsson, Forsling, Jokiharju and Snuggerud. Murphy, Keith and Seabrook are locks. Rutta and Kempny can still be effective guys.

I think some one of Carlsson, Forsling, Jokiharju and Snuggerud will be in our top pair in three years and viewed as new prime Seabrook-level. Not prime-Keith though.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you want one year deals the funny thing is the best candidates for those are Hawks alums. Campbell, Sharp can both play, the gamble is just health and age creeping up. Oduya, Versteeg as well. Gagner fits the bill as a non Hawk alum.

I personally would sign Brian Boyle to replace Kruger and hope I have enough space left over for Sharp and Campbell.

3x4 for Boyle
1 for Campbell
1 for Sharp.

We fundamentally disagree on this (which is fine). No way I'm giving anyone on the free agent market 3-4 years.

Why are we trading Kruger just to give the money to Boyle? I don't get it.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I like Williams but he is a RW. Kane and Panik are there. If you push Panik down to 3rd line his effectiveness is ruined with a line like Hartman/Kero.

Need LW for Kane or D, IMO. Hell Debrincat is a RW too. Can't push a sniper off his wing and move him to left either. It's a whole different game for guys like that if you do it. Same with Schmaltz. Don't think he works as a LW solution for Kane.

I'm pretty sure DeBrincat already played as LW with Kane in some pre-season game last season. Hayden is too C/RW but played in Chicago.

I don't think there are any good LW available, Sharp maybe with cheap deal. I think Williams in our third line with Schmaltz would provide a lot. Put Hayden or DeBrincat with Kane and Anisimov and hope for the best.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Except Hawks have had trouble finishing at key times. With Panarin, Motte and Hossa gone and the addition of Saad it still leaves a question mark there. Hawks need a sniper, preferably one with some grit. James Neal or Evander Kane come to mind.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Except Hawks have had trouble finishing at key times. With Panarin, Motte and Hossa gone and the addition of Saad it still leaves a question mark there. Hawks need a sniper, preferably one with some grit. James Neal or Evander Kane come to mind.

Saad will help with this but if we could get Neal for a reduced rate it would not be a bad thing. Kane has all the tools but does he have the tool box?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
at this point it should be obvious that Sharpie will be coming back. He will take less money if he even gets multiple offers out there, and play on our third line. he still has value and you do see guys like this come back and perform well. I see Sharp signing here for under $2mil for a season, and though I wanted him gone when we traded him, I laughably want him back to add some veteran depth and great clubhouse guy on our bottom 6.

His top 6 days are over as is his top 6 pay - I have no problems seeing Sharp back on the cheap as this team can't run a third line of Hartman - Kero- Schmaltz and win that often.

We need to space out the youth and losing Hossa is bigger than some imagine here.

Burn me all you want with "Sharp sucks and he is done" but so was Brad Richards when we got him, yet he is still playing.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

no thanks to evander kane...yes please to james neal.

Kruger, pokka, hossa contract, 2018 1st for james neal

Saad-Toews-Panik
Neal-Anisimov-Kane
Sharp/Debrincat-Schmaltz-Hartman
Hayden-Kero-Jurco

our faceoffs may take a beating

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
at this point it should be obvious that Sharpie will be coming back. He will take less money if he even gets multiple offers out there, and play on our third line. he still has value and you do see guys like this come back and perform well. I see Sharp signing here for under $2mil for a season, and though I wanted him gone when we traded him, I laughably want him back to add some veteran depth and great clubhouse guy on our bottom 6.

His top 6 days are over as is his top 6 pay - I have no problems seeing Sharp back on the cheap as this team can't run a third line of Hartman - Kero- Schmaltz and win that often.

We need to space out the youth and losing Hossa is bigger than some imagine here.

Burn me all you want with "Sharp sucks and he is done" but so was Brad Richards when we got him, yet he is still playing.

He retired in 2016.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
no thanks to evander kane...yes please to james neal.

Kruger, pokka, hossa contract, 2018 1st for james neal

Saad-Toews-Panik
Neal-Anisimov-Kane
Sharp/Debrincat-Schmaltz-Hartman
Hayden-Kero-Jurco

our faceoffs may take a beating

Neal would be the safer pick. Evander is younger and faster than Neal and plays the game with a reckless abandon.... but that style has made him injury prone. I still like him though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The thing I like about our contact/cap situation is that it actually means we can keep our young guys after their ELCs. Kempny and Rita might be keepers as well. We just need to be sure any moves in free agency do not compromise that position, so target 1 and 2 year deals and trades for players like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad