2017-2018 Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Call me crazy, but I do see Saad hitting 70 at some point during the next 4 years. He's still going to get better, has a big motivation now and they are going to be designing the offense around him. His speed and acceleration are huge weapons in today's game. He'll be PP1. He's got a lot going for him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'll be happy with Saad and JT being 60-65 point guys with Panik coming in at 50-55 that can match up against other teams top line on a nightly basis and play in all situations.

70+ points seems like a stretch for Saad. Panarin barely got there with ridiculously favorable deployment and playing with the best offensive player on the team.

Hope you're right though. That trade would be robbery.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Stupid search function always pointing out hypocrisies and whatnot!

Said Saad would be a 70+ pt player - highest point total 53
Said he'd be "pretty much" be outscoring Toews and Kane - hasnt had a single season with more points than either

... yet he's still chest thumping about that and trying to tell everyone how smart he is? That's a special kind of delusion.

Yes I was wrong about the exact point projection(given only two years) but I never claimed that I was right about that, where is the hypocrisy exactly? It seems like you are mixing two things together, I said Saad was not a product of Hossa and Toews and he was not. There is a possibility that Saad can still hit 70 at 24 year old anyway sometime in this current contract...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The only way Saad scores 70 points is the same way Panarin scored 70 points. With outrageously lopsided Ozone deployment against weaker competition.

But that would be a waste IMO, because Saad's greatest asset is his ability to dominate possession against top competition. We have plenty of guys, including Schmaltz, that can probably put up good points with the 65%+ deployment the 2nd line gets. Use the guy that can handle the tough stuff on the line that handles the tough stuff.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
is there a chance AA gets moved? Ottawa is looking for a center and he seems like a good fit in Boucher's system

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If you trade Anisimov and Kruger, who is playing C for the Hawks?

Toews, Schmaltz, Kero, Rasmussen? Yikes.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
is there a chance AA gets moved? Ottawa is looking for a center and he seems like a good fit in Boucher's system

They already traded one the linemates Kane won the MVP with, I just can't believe they will trade both of them in one offseason.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I would do Anisimov for Brassard straight up if Sens want Anisimov but I don't see Ottawa doing that.

We are not trading Anisimov if we can't land center. Our only potential players who could've land C were traded last Friday, then Anisimov could've been available.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not sure if anyone posted this already, but Friedman said that Thornton is looking for 2-3 years at 5-7 per. So cross him off the list.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not sure if anyone posted this already, but Friedman said that Thornton is looking for 2-3 years at 5-7 per. So cross him off the list.

Big fat no. And I doubt he gets that from any team at this point in his career. He's about to turn 38. He can pass, and he's a big body, but that's about it. There's no way he cashes in a 2-3 year deal making 5-7 per. Panarin's contract was 2@6m... and sorry, but Thornton is no Panarin, not even close at this point in his career.

Good luck to him on getting that, but I doubt it happens. I just don't see it. And the Hawks could never afford it, so yeah.... not worth a discussion anymore.

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
If the season started today, here's what I'd ice. Yes, I'm a believer in Debrincat. Sign me up. (Also, in dire situations, you can always flip the top D pairing to 2 - 7)

Saad - Toews - Panik
DeBrincat - Anisimov - Kane
Hayden - Schmaltz - Hartman
Jurco - Dauphin - Kero
(Insert Player Here)

Or:

Saad - Toews - Panik
Schmaltz - Anisimov - Kane
Hayden - Kero - DeBrincat
Jurco - Dauphin - Hartman
(Insert Player Here)

Either way:

Keith - Murphy
Kempny - Seabrook
Forsling - Rutta/Pokka/Raddysh
(Gustafsson)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Surprised there isn't more discussion of the big fish in FA. With a Hossa LTIR trade and the Kruger trade (both likely) the Hawks have 5.3M in space.

Hanzal, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Dadonov, Williams, less money for a Boyle, Grigorenko... guys i like less like Vanek, Gagner...

If the Hawks were legit about interest in Oshie they are thinking big money.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Surprised there isn't more discussion of the big fish in FA. With a Hossa LTIR trade and the Kruger trade (both likely) the Hawks have 5.3M in space.

The Hawks just had to make moves that were at least partly motivated by the salary cap crunch. Why would we want to trade one big contract for another? Not to mention, who is the big fish you want them to get? This FA crop isn't great and you generally have to over pay in FA. I'd much rather try and grab a reasonable cap hit/term player here or there than just locking into another big deal that will probably be a problem in 3-4 years.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Is there a chance the hawks still get a player from vegas for Kruger post July bonus?

If so I wonder who it would be.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Hawks just had to make moves that were at least partly motivated by the salary cap crunch. Why would we want to trade one big contract for another? Not to mention, who is the big fish you want them to get? This FA crop isn't great and you generally have to over pay in FA. I'd much rather try and grab a reasonable cap hit/term player here or there than just locking into another big deal that will probably be a problem in 3-4 years.

The Hawks have no one to re-sign for a few years. The only player who will need a bump are Hartman and Kempny. Just gonna sit around 5M under the cap for 2 years?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Is there a chance the hawks still get a player from vegas for Kruger post July bonus?

If so I wonder who it would be.

I'd like to take a flyer on Merrill. Young RD. Could be a body, could be something. Colin Miller even moreso but I think he holds too much value to be the Kruger return.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Also, I would think about including Debrincat to get Shea Theodore off Vegas. That guy is a beauty.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What does everybody think John Taveres will get as a UFA? Hawks could realistically trade Anisimov to clear up 4.55m and then they have 3.55m in bonuses coming off the books. So they could realistically offer 7 years/8m per and not be in too bad of shape.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Hell, look at guys like Plekanec, make Montreal retain and take him for free. Maybe not him exactly but just think creatively.

Everyone is in "unload contracts" and "we are tight to the cap mode" still. That's not the reality for the Hawks. For the first time since 09 the Hawks have a pretty significant chunk of space.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Hawks have no one to re-sign for a few years. The only player who will need a bump are Hartman and Kempny. Just gonna sit around 5M under the cap for 2 years?

Obviously not, but I'd rather spread the money around than giving someone like Hanzal the 4-5 years he's going to get and have to pay to get him off the roster in 2 years.

Look at the top free agent signings from just last year. So many of their contracts already look awful and it's been 1 season.

Lucic 6 years X 6.0 mil remaining
Okposo 6 X 6.0
Laad 6 X 5.5
Nieslen 5 X 5.25
Erickson 5 X 6.0
Backes 4 X 6.0
Brower 3 X 4.5
Boedker 3 X 4.0

Would you take any of those deals on right now for free, not giving up an asset? I wouldn't. I would be very careful if I'm the Hawks to make a significant cap commitment to anyone right now. Let the dust clear and sign a couple guys for 1 year deals and have some space for the deadline. It's rare that the big name free agent signings don't become contracts that teams regret, sometimes shockingly soon.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Other than signing Williams to a 1 year, whatever we can afford type of deal, no thanks on any UFA's

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Obviously not, but I'd rather spread the money around than giving someone like Hanzal the 4-5 years he's going to get and have to pay to get him off the roster in 2 years.

Look at the top free agent signings from just last year. So many of their contracts already look awful and it's been 1 season.

Lucic 6 years X 6.0 mil remaining
Okposo 6 X 6.0
Laad 6 X 5.5
Nieslen 5 X 5.25
Erickson 5 X 6.0
Backes 4 X 6.0
Brower 3 X 4.5
Boedker 3 X 4.0

Would you take any of those deals on right now for free, not giving up an asset? I wouldn't. I would be very careful if I'm the Hawks to make a significant cap commitment to anyone right now. Let the dust clear and sign a couple guys for 1 year deals and have some space for the deadline.

At the deadline prices are insane, the Hawks have a shallow and unspectacular prospect pool to make a deal and they are missing a 2nd round pick already. 5M in cap space is a sunk cost, use it or lose it. There are guys that I'd overpay right now, they cost only money and the alternative is getting no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad