2017-2018 Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Apparently Blackhawks have interest in Sam Gagne.

I'd be down. I wanted them to pick him up last season, you know, before he put up 50 points with the Blue Jackets. My concern was that Q would hate him, but it's fairly clear now that what Q wants and likes means dick all this season. I like it. Bring him in!

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
What do you think he'd sign for? We should have some pretty decent flexibility with the cap next year.

I have no clue, but I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

I'd be hesitant to sign either to long term deals. I'm skittish to lock into another big deal after finally getting a little room to breathe.

Also, to me the bigger concern is the back end. If the Hawks are going to trade picks/prospects as well as signing a guy to a big deal, I'd rather that be on the back end.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I have no clue, but I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

I'd be hesitant to sign either to long term deals. I'm skittish to lock into another big deal after finally getting a little room to breathe.

Also, to me the bigger concern is the back end. If the Hawks are going to trade picks/prospects as well as signing a guy to a big deal, I'd rather that be on the back end.

i can see a real short term, a 1 yr deal as a bridge for the kids to step in.

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
I also find myself hesitant to hurl ourselves right back under the mercy of the cap. But at the same time, I don't really wanna carry ~5 million in untapped space either. Man, what a terrible balancing act... As much as I enjoy the offseasons, I'd never wanna be a GM haha.

As far as Sam Gagner, I'm interested if we're not going to put Schmaltz at center. I kinda want to try him at 3C this year for a while though. Get him a solid amount of NHL reps. It would be nice if he could become the 2C of the future.

My whole attitude for this season is pretty much give it to the kids. See what they can do while we save space. I'd rather make a deal at the deadline instead of putting all of our eggs into one expensive, long-term basket the very moment we get a little bit of space. Kane is only 28 still, so we aren't in crisis mode yet. I actually think our D will prove pretty solid as well.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Apparently Blackhawks have interest in Sam Gagne.

I'd be down. I wanted them to pick him up last season, you know, before he put up 50 points with the Blue Jackets. My concern was that Q would hate him, but it's fairly clear now that what Q wants and likes means dick all this season. I like it. Bring him in!
Yep.....
Gagne is a gamble to say the least in Q's system.... but interesting if the HC let's him play his game. ( seems a recurring theme ) also, tweet below:

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
Yep..... also, tweet below:

Gagne is a gamble to say the least in Q's system.... but interesting if the HC let's him play his game. ( seems a recurring theme )

Well, I didn't think that was likely. So I'm not too let down about it. Unlike when I heard Thornton wanted 100 million and 20 more years... I really thought he wouldn've been perfect as a cheap(er) rental.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
This is not the roster the Hawks will ice next season --- so assessing things now is premature. That said, at least based on what is here now...

Saad-Toews-Panik --- this will be a solid 1st line one would think --- maybe not a top 5 or 6 in the league, but solid... probably a top 10 1st line

Schmaltz-AA-Kane --- this will not likely be a top 2-3 in the league (as the PAK line was), but could be a top 5-7 or so... (or not!)

Our bottom six is a TBA --- but based on what is here (without Hoss) --- our bottom 6 will be doing well to be a top 12-15 in the league.

Our three defensive pairings are a TBA and filled with unknowns --- but, based on what is here now, this is an average group ... a 13-16 or so in the league (maybe some guys shine and it is a #10 in the league or so).

Overall, the Hawks will be in an all-out rebuild mode and will be overall probably outside of the leagues top 10 teams. That said, some young guys may really shine and the team will be better. Also, there is likely a trade or two that can shape things differently as well. So there is hope that what will be iced is better than what we have presently.

Should be interesting.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Admittedly, I've always liked Evander Kane's game; I think he would do a lot more for this team than Sam Softie. A lot more!

I would love the "other" Kane too. But precisely how? What deal could be proffered that would net a player like Kane & how could he be made affordable?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hopefully the Hawks' summer plan began early and the rest will come to light when Kruger is officially gone. I'm counting the days on that one. :laugh:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This is not the roster the Hawks will ice next season --- so assessing things now is premature. That said, at least based on what is here now...

Saad-Toews-Panik --- this will be a solid 1st line one would think --- maybe not a top 5 or 6 in the league, but solid... probably a top 10 1st line

Schmaltz-AA-Kane --- this will not likely be a top 2-3 in the league (as the PAK line was), but could be a top 5-7 or so... (or not!)

Our bottom six is a TBA --- but based on what is here (without Hoss) --- our bottom 6 will be doing well to be a top 12-15 in the league.

Our three defensive pairings are a TBA and filled with unknowns --- but, based on what is here now, this is an average group ... a 13-16 or so in the league (maybe some guys shine and it is a #10 in the league or so).

Overall, the Hawks will be in an all-out rebuild mode and will be overall probably outside of the leagues top 10 teams. That said, some young guys may really shine and the team will be better. Also, there is likely a trade or two that can shape things differently as well. So there is hope that what will be iced is better than what we have presently.

Should be interesting.

They will be in "all-out rebuild mode"? All I can say is I fully disagree with that statement.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
i can see a real short term, a 1 yr deal as a bridge for the kids to step in.

Why would Kane sign for that? He's 25. This is his shot to cash in. I guess maybe Neal might but he could demand a 3-4 year deal most likely. That's a lot of money to leave on the table for either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad