League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Interesting that the Rangers paid for him, especially after they let go of Keith Yandle, who is a very similar player. But maybe they wanted a right-hand shot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Shattenkirk is 3 years younger than Yandle and still ended up on a contract with significantly less term. I think virtually every franchise in the NHL would prefer Shatty at $6.65M until he's 33 to Yandle at $6.35M until he's 36.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
When I think about that some guys here wanted to trade Carlson and let Shattenkirk with the Caps.
Are these actual people or this whole generality thing people like to do, because I don't remember ever seeing anyone advocate this after the playoffs.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Interesting that the Rangers paid for him, especially after they let go of Keith Yandle, who is a very similar player. But maybe they wanted a right-hand shot.
They are similar type players. Rangers bought into the hype like we did. How could teams not know what they were getting?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

I guess Subban just wasn't a culture fit in Montreal.

I mean the fact that they refuse to even consider non-Francophone coaches up there tells you really all you need to know about the culture surrounding that team and their perception of the world. I understand being interested in preserving heritage and culture, but there is a line of balance and they passed it eons ago.

Good for PK though, seems like he's finally in a place that lets him be himself and the town and media in NSH see his generosity for what it really is.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When I think about that some guys here wanted to trade Carlson and let Shattenkirk with the Caps.

When? Right after he was acquired and we didn't know how much he was going to disappoint, or after we'd all seen enough? Because I find it hard to believe a lot of people were saying that after the season was over.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I mean the fact that they refuse to even consider non-Francophone coaches up there tells you really all you need to know about the culture surrounding that team and their perception of the world. I understand being interested in preserving heritage and culture, but there is a line of balance and they passed it eons ago.

Good for PK though, seems like he's finally in a place that lets him be himself and the town and media in NSH see his generosity for what it really is.

So much truth in there. I live in Montreal, and the chauvinistic culture here is paralyzing the Canadiens. Not to mention that there is some racism, with Subban being black and whatnot.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Shattenkirk is 3 years younger than Yandle and still ended up on a contract with significantly less term. I think virtually every franchise in the NHL would prefer Shatty at $6.65M until he's 33 to Yandle at $6.35M until he's 36.
The 36 part would probably end up brutal but I think Yandle would be a more capable player in the short term. Shatty has been nothing short of a disaster since leaving STL. Did STL do a good job covering it up or was no one paying attention?

It's really sad to see idiots on national hockey broadcasts that still want to blast him for the dumbest shit. This is a personality the league needs to be embracing.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So much truth in there. I live in Montreal, and the chauvinistic culture here is paralyzing the Canadiens. Not to mention that there is some racism, with Subban being black and whatnot.
Sounds like you arent part of that chauvinistic culture. I don't really know a lot about the culture over there since I am in western Canada.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The 36 part would probably end up brutal but I think Yandle would be a more capable player in the short term. Shatty has been nothing short of a disaster since leaving STL. Did STL do a good job covering it up or was no one paying attention?

It's really sad to see idiots on national hockey broadcasts that still want to blast him for the dumbest ****. This is a personality the league needs to be embracing.
I don't think anyone has ever had an issue with Subban about anything away from hockey. I think issues with him are on ice and in the locker room.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I watched the Rangers game last night and KS was brutal. Looks like the pressure is getting to him a bit and he's forcing things. On the goal they let up shorthanded he tried to do everything himself which led to a bad turnover and an odd-man rush the other way.

I think he's a very good player trying to do too much.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
@Skrudland2Lomakin @g00n

Of course I'm talking right after when he was acquired, he had a better stretch than Carlson to end the regular season. And it was not a lot, but few people to say that.

I wasn't one of those people (I always viewed Shatty as a rental destined to join the Rangers in the off-season), but at that point in time the idea wasn't so heretical. Carlson being a year away from free agency and Shattenkirk looking relatively impressive, there's some logic behind the concept of cashing out on a soon-to-be UFA while retaining strong RHD depth.

Reactions: g00n

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Pens will be last in the division if flyers win their game in had.

And the pens play 5 times in the next 6 games against metro teams, CBJ, NYI, CAR2x, PHI. They can't go under .500 in that stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad