League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
When? Right after he was acquired and we didn't know how much he was going to disappoint, or after we'd all seen enough? Because I find it hard to believe a lot of people were saying that after the season was over.

Correct. No one wanted that after the season was over.

That said, a few of us certainly discussed the notion-- after a good 8-10 games into Shattenkirk's tenure. At the time:
-Shattenkirk was playing pretty well
-Carlson was dog food, much like most of last year
-People were concerned Carlson would leave as he would want a higher AAV than Shattenkirk would, and the team could re-coup assets.

Then the playoffs happens and everyone realized how poorly Shattenkirk was in his own end, so it became a dead topic.

I always love all the Monday AM QB'ing that happens around here....LOL. It never changes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A lot of people will disagree with that opinion. But you are obviously free to have it.

Edit - Regular Season only. Let's not take this and run with it in a media driven manner please.

I think that my feeling after a handful of games was that I didn't see the game changer, dynamic player that Shattenkirk was supposed to be. He seemed to be able to lay that wheelhouse pass in for Ov on the pp but I was not overwhelmed at all. Then come playoffs the bottom fell out.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wasn't one of those people (I always viewed Shatty as a rental destined to join the Rangers in the off-season), but at that point in time the idea wasn't so heretical. Carlson being a year away from free agency and Shattenkirk looking relatively impressive, there's some logic behind the concept of cashing out on a soon-to-be UFA while retaining strong RHD depth.

Some of the asset management crowd was in favor of that. Keep Shattenkirk for free and get assets back for Carlson. But Shattenkirk was never staying and never going to play the minutes/assignments that Carlson gets

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Expensive offensive 3RD is what we had in Green. Both stories ended the same. For the good.

Doesn't work in cap era.

It's what I think is bad with Djoos. Not that universal for 2nd pair and isn't your typical meat and potatoes cheaper guy for 3rd pair.

He's got potential to be points scoring guy... But do we really need exactly that in playoffs? Kinda mismatch in the future.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Columbus had a bad December. They went 5-8-3 or something like that.

Pittsburgh is actually bad?
just watched their game at DET, they actually look sluggish and disinterested, but... after back-to-back cups they can afford it :sarcasm:. Certainly no way they miss the playoffs, they're too talented and healthy for that and the gap in points is too little, NYI and even NJD sooner fall out of the race. Watched the isles also, their D without Boychuck, Hamonic and CDH looks completely depleted.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
just watched their game at DET, they actually look sluggish and disinterested, but... after back-to-back cups they can afford it :sarcasm:. Certainly no way they miss the playoffs, they're too talented and healthy for that and the gap in points is too little, NYI and even NJD sooner fall out of the race. Watched the isles also, their D without Boychuck, Hamonic and CDH looks completely depleted.
Pittsburgh is finally getting average to below average goaltending and it is finally exposing a garbage backend. It was bad the past two years but Rutherford decided to make the D and bottom 6 even worse. Add in a couple wingers that aren't new anymore and they aren't a great team. Same with the Islanders. Can't outscore D and goaltending that is Coyote level when it comes to GAs.

I thought Columbus was just going through a rough spot but they're trying to climb into the dumpster now too. Caps and Devils should run away with it unless they decide to join the other teams in skids. Really wish an Atlantic team would assert themselves into the Wildcard race a little more.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Pittsburgh is finally getting average to below average goaltending and it is finally exposing a garbage backend. It was bad the past two years but Rutherford decided to make the D and bottom 6 even worse. Add in a couple wingers that aren't new anymore and they aren't a great team. Same with the Islanders. Can't outscore D and goaltending that is Coyote level when it comes to GAs.

I thought Columbus was just going through a rough spot but they're trying to climb into the dumpster now too. Caps and Devils should run away with it unless they decide to join the other teams in skids. Really wish an Atlantic team would assert themselves into the Wildcard race a little more.
I always felt Murray might have been a bit overrated. Not saying he is bad but to me he is a middle of the pack goalie.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well, I bet real money on NYR, so I won't complain lol
I'm at the point now that I want some of the metro teams to win just to get some distance between themselves and the Pens. I really dont want the Pens making the playoffs this year. I lost track of how many times the Pens have eliminated us from the playoffs. Our playoff record against them is atrocious. Man I hate that team.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I always felt Murray might have been a bit overrated. Not saying he is bad but to me he is a middle of the pack goalie.
It was hard to say Murray was a product of the team/system in the AHL because he was the first in line. Safe to say the team/system is having significant effects on goalie's numbers when three young/rookie goal tenders are putting up insane/record breaking numbers. I don't know their backgrounds prior to the AHL to be fair, but three in a row is pretty crazy. WBS puts a team on the ice to win and they are pretty good at it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He's a great goalie when he is on, but when he's not, he can let brutal goals in. That should make us appreciate Holtby's consistency, although I wish Holtby could steal playoff series like Murray did last year.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's a great goalie when he is on, but when he's not, he can let brutal goals in. That should make us appreciate Holtby's consistency, although I wish Holtby could steal playoff series like Murray did last year.
We are lucky to have Holtby. He doesn't let in very many soft goals. He just needs the team to play a bit better in front of him

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad