League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Is it just me or does anyone else think Kopitar should have won the heart? Guy has a excellent offensive season while also doing a lot of heavy lifting for his team defensively as well with PK duties. He put up similar point totals to Hall and Mack while doing 10x the defensive work as evident in his Selke nod.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Is it just me or does anyone else think Kopitar should have won the heart? Guy has a excellent offensive season while also doing a lot of heavy lifting for his team defensively as well with PK duties. He put up similar point totals to Hall and Mack while doing 10x the defensive work as evident in his Selke nod.
I believe the only guy to win both in the same year was Fedorov.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hasn't that already been accepted? Any repeated head impact at all basically...

I would think but I got into a debate with a regular on here who disagreed with me vehemently when I brought up CTE in the NHL prior to last football season, or maybe it was the season before. Can't remember.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Boxing and lacrosse are other sports that come to mind. Even soccer. Youth players start heading the ball at 4-5 years old and there are some vicious head-to-head collisions in that sport.
The big thing about CTE research right now is the links regarding "sub-concussive trauma," as opposed to purely linking it to concussions. So heading the ball may be every bit as important as just the head-to-head collisions.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The big thing about CTE research right now is the links regarding "sub-concussive trauma," as opposed to purely linking it to concussions. So heading the ball may be every bit as important as just the head-to-head collisions.
More and more the indications are that it's repetitive trauma and that the severity is a lesser factor. Obviously repeated severe trauma exacerbates the issue, but its the ongoing damage that has the most lasting and detrimental effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad