League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I love Nate Schmidt, but I'd hesitate to call him a legit top pairing defenseman at this point. He's obviously Vegas' best defenseman, but that's because Vegas doesn't really have a #1/#2 due to the nature of the expansion draft. Schmidt has handled top pairing duty relatively well, but his metrics have suffered when put into such demanding roles. It's similar to how the Alzner/Carlson pairing was for several year in DC, the best available, but mostly treading water against tough opponents instead of driving play forwards.

To me a "legit top pairing defenseman" can not only handle top pairing match-ups, but do so while still driving play forwards. So far Nate Schmidt can do either or, but not both simultaneously. He was tremendous at driving play forwards as a depth defenseman in Washington. He's handled top pairing duty in Vegas. But he hasn't done both at the same time yet.

To put it another way, how many here think Nate Schmidt is one of the 30 best defensemen in the NHL? 60 best?

Your best post in months! ;)

Reactions: ovikovy817

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Its not even close to the same thing. One was our own stupid doing, the other we were giving up a good player no matter what. Don't forget we were hoping they were taking Grubs, its not like we chose to give them Nate over a bag of pucks. Also remember the entire team was made of guys from some team. Karlsson came from CBJ, Marchessault came from the panthers, Neal, Eakin, ect... A lot of guys have panned out for them that teams were forced to keep unprotected. Its not the same at all.

They gave up Nate for nothing. A bag of pucks in return would be nice. Could they have exposed Bura and protected Nate? I don’t remember the details of the expansion draft. If so, that would of been the better play in hindsight.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
They gave up Nate for nothing. A bag of pucks in return would be nice. Could they have exposed Bura and protected Nate? I don’t remember the details of the expansion draft. If so, that would of been the better play in hindsight.

No player, but lots of cash. I calculate Ted got $16.667 million for giving up Nate.

from NHL.com (Las Vegas awarded NHL franchise):

The League will receive a $500 million expansion fee from Bill Foley, the billionaire businessman who spearheaded the Las Vegas expansion bid and will be the franchise's principal owner. The $500 million will be distributed equally among the existing 30 teams.

And based on the rules re. who you could protect, the clear choice was to expose a dman. They protected Carlson, Nisky and Orlov. Those were the obvious choices at the time. If Trotz had had the balls and foresight to play Nate more, maybe the decision would've been different, but I doubt it.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Like I said few weeks ago, if Vegas wants a cup in their history is now or never (never = in the next 10-15 years)
Because everything they do is a first time.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Vegas just tied for the third-most dominant run to the Cup Finals in the salary cap era (in terms of Ls incurred along the way). It's a Totally Serious Sports League.

Edit: I believe it's also the eighth-best run in that regard in the past 30 seasons among Cup finalists.

Last edited:
Reactions: ovikovy817

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
This is depressing as hell....

GMGM screwed us in the expansion draft and might get the cup.

Though I am happy for my friends who live in Vegas...

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I can't be the only one. I think it is complete utter bull**** that Vegas can just "buy" a team like that?

Yeah, it takes real skill to take other teams decent to good players and build a team that way.

Meanwhile, every other team had to do it the old fashion way and build through the draft all those years.

This is like playing video games against someone who just used their credit card to get all the upgrades and just own you

Yes, I get you still have to play the game and win but play like everyone else had to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad