2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nice to see him producing...

He's already surpassed his point totals from last season. He had 8 points in 48 games. Now he has 12 points in 23 games. He is also 5 points away from his career totals from two seasons ago, which was 17 points in 52 games.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Having Vejdemo getting experience & becoming a well rounded two way center is good. Poehling is by far the best news at center for the Habs, that's two good prospects at center. Adding the two team Captains from Toronto, late picks of Timmins no doubt, Jake Evans(Notre Dame) & Mike Pezzetta(Sudbury Wolves) are both being team leaders and two way centers. The Habs have some good centers coming to Laval very soon. Laval could boast a trio of Toronto area prospects on one line next season. Kyle Baun(RW), Jeremiah Addison(LW) with either Jake Evans(RHC) or Mike Pezzetta(LHC), definitely a tough two way talented trio out of those 4 players.

Just realized I omitted Will Bitten(RHC), whose play should see him in a Team Canada jersey at the WJHC's in December, another great two way player with non-stop play, through the roof drive to be the best, just sayin.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jake Evans with an assist.

And I'm not sure, but I think Poehling isn't playing tonight. I don't see him on the line-up box score for the St. Cloud game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think they give the goal to Poehling...

Box

They changed it to Poehling, at the time it was given to Mika Ilvonen, as Poehling was screening the goalie but they changed it as it must have gone in off him.

An interesting note, the only 2 players that are outscoring Poehling on his team were both invites to the Habs development camp last summer.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Theres Ikonen that I know and love.

Might have just been a matter of confidence.

Seems he just needed some time to figure things out. Of course he has to keep it up and not get blanked for so many games again, but he was always trying. There were many times when his first goal could have happened and he either didn't get all of it, or the goaltender read the play too well so there was nothing to shoot at, or the goalie just made a great save.

It's weird, if you allow young players to play through their difficulties, they come out better in the end. Definitely no lessons to be learned from this process, though.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
"With eight multi-point efforts on the season, Evans is bound to eclipse his 13 goals and 42 points from last year. The Hobey Baker Award — annually handed to the NCAA’s top player — is within his sights, but it may come down to the wire with another player: teammate Cale Morris."

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/6051052-no-4-notre-dame-jake-evans-eye-double-digit-win-streak

28 pts in 18 games, not too shabby.

Will Evans be in the running for the #3C spot at camp next year? Is this another item on MB's to-do list - convince this guy to sign in MTL?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Given what Kerfoot is doing, I think Evans will "compete" for a C job next year, but it'll be his to lose. Likely replacing Pleks between Hudon and Gallagher. Poehling could give him a run for his money though, as while Evans is ahead of Poehling currently, Poehlings trajectory is much more vertical

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
"With eight multi-point efforts on the season, Evans is bound to eclipse his 13 goals and 42 points from last year. The Hobey Baker Award — annually handed to the NCAA’s top player — is within his sights, but it may come down to the wire with another player: teammate Cale Morris."

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/6051052-no-4-notre-dame-jake-evans-eye-double-digit-win-streak

28 pts in 18 games, not too shabby.

Will Evans be in the running for the #3C spot at camp next year? Is this another item on MB's to-do list - convince this guy to sign in MTL?

Would be cool if Evans signs and convinces Cale Morris to sign with Montreal too. Habs track record lately with Condon and Lindgren could make it more tempting for NCAA prospects.

NHL: Lindgren
AHL: McNiven/Fucale
ECHL: Morris

Hopefully they learned lesson and never waste a high pick on a non-sure thing goalie.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Given what Kerfoot is doing, I think Evans will "compete" for a C job next year, but it'll be his to lose. Likely replacing Pleks between Hudon and Gallagher. Poehling could give him a run for his money though, as while Evans is ahead of Poehling currently, Poehlings trajectory is much more vertical

I don't disagree that Poehling's development curve is more interesting than Evans given their respective age, skillset and on-ice IQ. Do we actually know that Poehling would drop out of university to play for the Habs? Evans is done school this year... maybe it's irrelevant, I don't know.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Would be cool if Evans signs and convinces Cale Morris to sign with Montreal too. Habs track record lately with Condon and Lindgren could make it more tempting for NCAA prospects.

NHL: Lindgren
AHL: McNiven/Fucale
ECHL: Morris

Hopefully they learned lesson and never waste a high pick on a non-sure thing goalie.

Hawkey and Primeau are coming too. Hawkey is a junior (senior next year) this year so will have to be signed in the summer of 2019 if we decide to keep him. Primeau is apparently doing very well for a freshman at Northeastern University. There are whispers that he may get an invite to the US WJC camp.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't disagree that Poehling's development curve is more interesting than Evans given their respective age, skillset and on-ice IQ. Do we actually know that Poehling would drop out of university to play for the Habs? Evans is done school this year... maybe it's irrelevant, I don't know.
I guess it depends how his year goes. But I think if you look at Tyson Jost last year, he was 1 and done after a year in University, and remember this is Poehlings second year. Funny enough Jost got beaten out by Kerfoot and is now in the AHL, and the same thing could happen to Poehling with Evans...

Reactions: Roadhouse

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Slow isn't the right word, his skating is smooth, what's really lacking is a bit more explosiveness. He takes short strides, which makes him waste a lot of energy. It's all stuff that can be improved and worked on.
Indeed.

Ikonen with perfect development is essentially Hudon. Which is good.
I like that comparison.

Not really slow, just not fast enough for his size and strength, IMO.
Right.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I honestly didn't expect Bitten to get an invite. This time last year, sure. But he hasn't had the type of impact on games this year that they look for. I think Frost is actually a bigger snub.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Too bad for Bitten, but I wasn't really expecting an invite for him. I wonder if Mete still goes? The NHL guys have a little more time to consider. Players arrive at camp Monday.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
After his hot streak of 13 pts in 7 games I thought he would get an invite. But hopefully he uses it as motivation instead of disappointment. He still leads his team in assists, 2nd in points, just had hoped he would have put more pucks in the net.

One thing that concerns me is the videos of him throwing his weight around. I read where the Habs wanted him to stop trying to hit someone into the 3rd row and focus more on being smarter and using body position or something to that effect. It concerns me cause either he was told and isn't really listening or he wasn't told and I got to think he was told. Granted I haven't watched a lot of him this year, only saw him 2 or 3 times and I liked what I saw, has the speed, skating, energy, that I still think he has a good shot of being a 3rd or 4th liner down the road. Depending of course on how he does in the AHL where I will get a much better look at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad