2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
His point production in the OHL is unreal. Really curious to see what he does this spring in the AHL. If we have one in the playoffs that is.
I would say around 2 points-per-game is an expected pace for any top prospect whose in their draft + 2 year. We all know Kyrou can produce, I'm more concerned about his play away from the puck. Their needs to be some progression there.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Great quick note on the Q’s website. Under Notes: He is being compared to Brent Seabrook by his coach. Similar player at the age. 12 points, 6 goals in 10 games. Added another assist tonight.

Thomas 2 goals including shorty and the game winner.. JK had a game winner also.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Robert Thomas looked good tonight. 2 Goals 5 shots and +2

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Thomas was very noticeable tonight. He was carrying the puck with a pace I don’t recall seeing in preseason. He needs to gain the confidence to do that against men. He was pretty outstanding. Missed a couple of good opportunities as well for the hat trick. Good to see London win a game. And against a decent Kitchener team.

Sarnia just keeps on rolling offensively. 10 straight wins now and #2 in the CHL rankings. They’re potting goals like it’s an easy task. Kyrou less noticeable tonight overall but had some flashes including a dirty rebound goal that was nice to see. His second was just speed and a give n go 2 on 1. He’s gonna be damn close to a 2ppg player this year if Sarnia keeps up the good play. They have like 6 of the top 20 scorers in the OHL currently so the pace likely can’t keep up forever.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I would say around 2 points-per-game is an expected pace for any top prospect whose in their draft + 2 year. We all know Kyrou can produce, I'm more concerned about his play away from the puck. Their needs to be some progression there.
Only 4 players in the last 5 years have finished a season at 2 points per game. That is not the expected pace for anybody.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Only 4 players in the last 5 years have finished a season at 2 points per game. That is not the expected pace for anybody.
That's why I said "around", not exactly 2 PPG. If guys like Christian Dvorak, Kevin Labanc, and Alex Debrincat can produce at 2 points per game in their draft +1/+2 year, then I would expect Kyrou to produce around the same clip given that Sarnia is stacked on offense.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That's why I said "around", not exactly 2 PPG. If guys like Christian Dvorak, Kevin Labanc, and Alex Debrincat can produce at 2 points per game in their draft +1/+2 year, then I would expect Kyrou to produce around the same clip given that Sarnia is stacked on offense.
Umm...okay. Seems like a pretty unrealistically high expectation for him to have literally one of the best seasons in the last decade.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Umm...okay. Seems like a pretty unrealistically high expectation for him to have literally one of the best seasons in the last decade.
Don't think it's unrealistic to expect Kyrou to end the season around 1.8-2 points per game considering the strength of his team and the fact that he's in his draft plus 2 year, but that's just my opinion.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Don't think it's unrealistic to expect Kyrou to end the season around 1.8-2 points per game considering the strength of his team and the fact that he's in his draft plus 2 year, but that's just my opinion.

I really wish he could have played in the AHL this year. I am very anxious to see what he can do against high level competition.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Hey guys, just wanted to pop by and say I miss posting here. It's been nice being away, honestly, a much needed break. Not that it's benefiting anybody but myself, but I'm keeping up on tracking our prospects and hoping to find a work-around for my workplace ban on this new site. After altering my routine to primarily twitter and a little bit of reddit here and there, I have to say that despite my vocal disagreements with many posters here, there are few places available anywhere with as informed discussion of Blues hockey as we have here. The volume of content alone is worth the (free) price of admission. I hope everybody's doing well out there!

Just a few off-the-cuff observations while I've got a second here:
Toropchenko seems to have cooled off a bit after his red-hot start with Guelph. He's still tied for the team lead in points though, so you've got to assume there are deeper issues than just him at this point.

On the same point, you've got to respect what Thomas is doing in London. The fact that the Knights are struggling as hard as they are right now seems to be a surprise to just about everybody. Their goalie situation was bad bad bad, and maybe that isn't shocking, given that they went from Tylor Parsons to Kooy and Johnson. The Raaymakers trade was a terrific lifeline pickup for them, and hopefully that sparks the fire for that team and Rob can really take off. The fact that he's over PPG (albeit in bunches) is a pretty good indicator.

I don't see any reason that Kyrou can't be over 2.00 for the season. If we're really expecting him to be a player for us in the future, that's the bar we should be setting for him anyways (or thereabouts). He's got a good supporting cast, better than I thought he would have, and he seems to be thriving under the Captain's role for us.

Noel seems to be having himself a pretty good start to the season. After his first showing at TC, I'm not seeing anything worth getting too worked up over, but he's keeping himself in good graces at least. Doing what he's supposed to be doing. The video I've seen from him seems to be pretty positive, albeit pretty limited.

I've been encouraged by what our guys are doing in the AHL, despite the situation. Walman is disappointing, but I'm hopeful that he'll find his sea legs again. It's so weird, this just isn't the player we saw in Traverse City. I wonder if he let the pressure get to him, or if maybe there's a lingering injury we aren't hearing about. Either way, cause for concern. It seems like we're going to be rotating in young forwards in once every few weeks until one of them sticks: Thompson, Blais, probably Kostin next, barring his injury situation (crossing my fingers there). Probably Bennett at some point too. Jordan Schmaltz is really making a case for himself in SA too, I've been really happy with his game so far.

Just about everybody else (Kaspick and (surprisingly) Andersson aside) has been meh. The goalie situation is bad, no getting around that. But the season is young, and there's plenty of time for guys to find their place and start asserting themselves.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Hey guys, just wanted to pop by and say I miss posting here. It's been nice being away, honestly, a much needed break. Not that it's benefiting anybody but myself, but I'm keeping up on tracking our prospects and hoping to find a work-around for my workplace ban on this new site. After altering my routine to primarily twitter and a little bit of reddit here and there, I have to say that despite my vocal disagreements with many posters here, there are few places available anywhere with as informed discussion of Blues hockey as we have here. The volume of content alone is worth the (free) price of admission. I hope everybody's doing well out there!

Toropchenko seems to have cooled off a bit after his red-hot start with Guelph. He's still tied for the team lead in points though, so you've got to assume there are deeper issues than just him at this point.

On the same point, you've got to respect what Thomas is doing in London. The fact that the Knights are struggling as hard as they are right now seems to be a surprise to just about everybody. Their goalie situation was bad bad bad, and maybe that isn't shocking, given that they went from Tylor Parsons to Kooy and Johnson. The Raaymakers trade was a terrific lifeline pickup for them, and hopefully that sparks the fire for that team and Rob can really take off. The fact that he's over PPG (albeit in bunches) is a pretty good indicator.

I don't see any reason that Kyrou can't be over 2.00 for the season. If we're really expecting him to be a player for us in the future, that's the bar we should be setting for him anyways (or thereabouts). He's got a good supporting cast, better than I thought he would have, and he seems to be thriving under the Captain's role for us.

Noel seems to be having himself a pretty good start to the season. After his first showing at TC, I'm not seeing anything worth getting too worked up over, but he's keeping himself in good graces at least. Doing what he's supposed to be doing. The video I've seen from him seems to be pretty positive, albeit pretty limited.

I've been encouraged by what our guys are doing in the AHL, despite the situation. Walman is disappointing, but I'm hopeful that he'll find his sea legs again. It's so weird, this just isn't the player we saw in Traverse City. I wonder if he let the pressure get to him, or if maybe there's a lingering injury we aren't hearing about. Either way, cause for concern. It seems like we're going to be rotating in young forwards in once every few weeks until one of them sticks: Thompson, Blais, probably Kostin next, barring his injury situation (crossing my fingers there). Probably Bennett at some point too. Jordan Schmaltz is really making a case for himself in SA too, I've been really happy with his game so far.

Just about everybody else (Kaspick and (surprisingly) Andersson aside) has been meh. The goalie situation is bad, no getting around that. But the season is young, and there's plenty of time for guys to find their place and start asserting themselves.
Good to hear from you, Morty, I appreciate your knowledge and insight. A note on Walman, I wonder how much being sent down hurt his on ice performance. Maybe he was disappointed to the point of being crushed? This is purely my own speculation. I hope he's not that mentally fragile.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Nice to see you back Morty. I tried to fill in for your absence a couple weeks ago with the prospect updates and it was a lot more work than I had expected. Really puts into perspective how much time you spent giving us those frequent updates.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
A large part of the Knight's struggles are from the back end. Juolevi went back to Finland and Mete made the Habs. Those are two huge puck movers that would have helped London's transition game and moving the puck forward. Formenton being sent back helps a bit. Thomas has started to pick it up as of late, but he's going to need a lot more help from his teammates. Pu, Jones, and Miletic are not producing as they were expected to and that's a big part of the Knight's forward group.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Jones has picked it up the last two games.

Also to mention is crawley being sent to the rangers AHL affiliate and Thomas lost kuokkanen and bratt to the canes and devils so that’s gonna hamlet London as well (even if crawley and kuokkanen were expected.)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
i know we dont have him anymore but wow gawdins having a year

At 20 years old in his 5th full season in the WHL, he better be having a year! ;)

Pronman made mention of Noel in a recent column on The Athletic:
Corey Pronman said:
David Noel, D, St. Louis: The 130th overall pick in 2017 is currently co-leading his QMJHL team and all defensemen in the league in scoring, and getting more than three shots per game. I remember him being the seventh defenseman at the IIHF U18’s for Canada and thinking he had intriguing upside with his skill and big shot but was a long-term guy. It seems the expected time for his development spike may be shortening.

Sound encouraging. Hopefully he can be another late but rapid bloomer for our d-core.

As for the goalie situation, Dhillon has come back down to earth a bit after a fantastic start to the season. His stat line is currently: 10GP / 7W /2.51 GAA / .912 SV%

Fitzpatrick's stats have been very much "meh" this season: 9GP / 3W / 3.40 GAA / .882 SV%

To put it bluntly, Fitzpatrick has struggled a lot to start this season going all the way back to the Traverse City tournament. He has been pulled from more games than he has won. To be fair, some of this is due to the entire Sherbrooke team struggling, and I am going solely off stats here so take this with a grain of salt. However, on a more positive note, Fitz's stat line from his last 3 games is quite a bit better: 2W / 1L / 2.33 GAA / .916 SV%. Here's hoping he turns the corner and settles in for a good season!

Good to hear from you, Morty, I appreciate your knowledge and insight. A note on Walman, I wonder how much being sent down hurt his on ice performance. Maybe he was disappointed to the point of being crushed? This is purely my own speculation. I hope he's not that mentally fragile.

FWIW I think it may be a mental thing too. He looked really frustrated at times during the preseason and let it show in his play in the form of bad mental errors. There was one instance in particular late in the preseason when Walman made a good outlet pass to a Blues player in the neutral zone who muffed the pass resulting in a turnover. Walman was visibly frustrated and instead of calmly defending on the ensuing rush, he tried to take the puck carriers head off in the high slot resulting in a dangerous chance against. It's just one instance, but it worried me seeing him loose his cool like that. (I actually thought Dunn would be the one with the hot head haha).

Hopefully Walman can bounce back and pick himself up after a disappointing start to the season. I still really like his offensive tools (skating, shot, etc) but if he can't figure out the mental aspect of professional hockey then he is in for further struggles. Luckily he has plenty of time and Dunn has been excelling.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah, Noel seems to be having a great season thus far. I don't know much about him at all so I can't comment on his play, but his stat line is very encouraging to see.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Sure seems to be a lot of assuming and conjecture going on in talking about Walman having mental problems with the game. There’s really no proof of that whatsoever. All we know is he wasn’t quite NHL ready in camp and isn’t getting great minutes with the Wolves so far. There could be a whole host of reasons to explain that. Personally, I’m not going to worry too much about it at the moment.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It will be very interesting if the Blues end up transferring a player from one AHL team to the other. I would take that as a bad sign regarding how this is working out. It will be much better next year.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
Sure seems to be a lot of assuming and conjecture going on in talking about Walman having mental problems with the game. There’s really no proof of that whatsoever. All we know is he wasn’t quite NHL ready in camp and isn’t getting great minutes with the Wolves so far. There could be a whole host of reasons to explain that. Personally, I’m not going to worry too much about it at the moment.

It's speculation, hence the "I wonder if..."

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

simon in canada said "speculation", therefore proof is unnecessary.

And then stl76 provided an observation that Walman appeared to lose his cool after a muffed pass.

Nothing wrong with either of those thoughts/posts.

No one is saying that Walman is mentally ill or mentally weak.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
simon in canada said "speculation", therefore proof is unnecessary.

And then stl76 provided an observation that Walman appeared to lose his cool after a muffed pass.

Nothing wrong with either of those thoughts/posts.

No one is saying that Walman is mentally ill or mentally weak.

I just think it’s silly to even go there based on the observations they used to speculate what they did. It’s potentially damaging to a player’s reputation that could very well be 100% inaccurate and I’d think it’d border on HF’s libel rules as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad