2017-2018 Blues Discussion Thread Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I guess Minnesota is confident they can pick him up, that they weren't willing to pay anything for him.
They likely won't have much of a problem, but it would be pretty funny if someone lower in the standings claimed him(Edmonton could use some depth on the backend?) and then someone else claims Quincey. Not that it'd be much of a loss and they might honestly want Quincey gone one way or the other. It would be an interesting situation though.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I wonder what the impression is regarding our board's view on Hitchcock in Dallas. I want him to fail, but its because its a division rival. I have nothing against him as a coach (although I do think it was the right time to move on...maybe past time).
No idea. I haven't really read any Hitchcock topics on the main boards and that's where the vocal minority is most likely to be heard.

I also thought it was past time the Blues moved on from Hitchcock, but I value what he did for this organization and bear him no particular ill-will moving forward.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
No idea. I haven't really read any Hitchcock topics on the main boards and that's where the vocal minority is most likely to be heard.

I also thought it was past time the Blues moved on from Hitchcock, but I value what he did for this organization and bear him no particular ill-will moving forward.

I think Hitch helped this team find an identity his first few years, but I also think he held us back his last couple years.

Reactions: Weiss1604

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

This. Hitch ran his course here. Nothing personal against him, it was just time for both sides to move on. Still a great coach.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If you want to grade Army from a results only point of view it’s impossible to say he’s been anything but successful.

Saying that, Bouwmeester, Steen, and Berglund make up exactly 20% of the payroll. It’s hard to fathom 1/5th of the payroll is spent on these 3. At least Bouwmeester’s contract only has 1 more year. Steen with 3 and Berglund with 4 more years flat out sucks.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hot damn, Dunn sure has some moves in his arsenal.

If you want to grade Army from a results only point of view it’s impossible to say he’s been anything but successful.

Saying that, Bouwmeester, Steen, and Berglund make up exactly 20% of the payroll. It’s hard to fathom 1/5th of the payroll is spent on these 3. At least Bouwmeester’s contract only has 1 more year. Steen with 3 and Berglund with 4 more years flat out sucks.
What injuries they had as they all looked fairly slow.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
When does Sanford come back again? Witnessing the return of Berglund made me curious.

Half joking. I'm not going to judge Berglund based on his first real game in over half a year, but I also never expected him to fix the 3rd line to begin with.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When does Sanford come back again? Witnessing the return of Berglund made me curious.

Half joking. I'm not going to judge Berglund based on his first real game in over half a year, but I also never expected him to fix the 3rd line to begin with.
I think he's questionable to return this season. Closer to playoffs if he returns.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

Pair that with the fact that we were forced to surrender our 2018 first in order to dump one of Army's bad contracts. I am not super critical of the Bo deal but I never liked the Steen and Bergie deals.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The Steen deal felt reactionary to Backes. Never been a fan of it as well. Bergie's doesn't bother me. It's not super expensive. Bouwmeesters was about a year or 2 too long, but that's hindsight being 20/20. I would believe 1 of them is moved this off-season. My personal hope is Steen (sorry but 3 more years of that is a little rough).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Pair that with the fact that we were forced to surrender our 2018 first in order to dump one of Army's bad contracts. I am not super critical of the Bo deal but I never liked the Steen and Bergie deals.

Except we really didn't have to. You have to take into account the first we got back in the Reaves trade. We basically moved back four spots and traded next year's first for Schenn.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think he's questionable to return this season. Closer to playoffs if he returns.

I think he’s got a decent shot to be back yet this season. They said his shoulder surgery is a typical 5-6 mo recovery (same surgery Bergy had I think, Bergy’s was just earlier in the summer). Sanford had his surgery on Sept 27. So 5 mo would be late Feb, 6 mo would be late March.

Whether he’ll be able to get up to speed at the tail end of the season and if an up to speed Sanford will be better than their other 3rd line options at the time are legitimate questions but we simply won’t know the answer to them until/if it happens but I don’t think we should 100% count him out.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think he’s got a decent shot to be back yet this season. They said his shoulder surgery is a typical 5-6 mo recovery (same surgery Bergy had I think, Bergy’s was just earlier in the summer). Sanford had his surgery on Sept 27. So 5 mo would be late Feb, 6 mo would be late March.

Whether he’ll be able to get up to speed at the tail end of the season and if an up to speed Sanford will be better than their other 3rd line options at the time are legitimate questions but we simply won’t know the answer to them until/if it happens but I don’t think we should 100% count him out.
Id agree with this I guess. Without seeing anything from him this year, its hard to see what Yeo liked so much going into this year. With missing the whole season and being kinda meh anyways, I have a hard time seeing him have an impact with the team going into the playoffs.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Id agree with this I guess. Without seeing anything from him this year, its hard to see what Yeo liked so much going into this year. With missing the whole season and being kinda meh anyways, I have a hard time seeing him have an impact with the team going into the playoffs.

Yep. We shouldn’t 100% count him out but I also don’t think the Blues should view Sanford possibly returning as a reason to not add a RW rental at the deadline.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Except we really didn't have to. You have to take into account the first we got back in the Reaves trade. We basically moved back four spots and traded next year's first for Schenn.
Exactly. We can't view the trade in isolation, because we don't know if we do one without the other.
Yep. We shouldn’t 100% count him out but I also don’t think the Blues should view Sanford possibly returning as a reason to not add a RW rental at the deadline.
Even more so since Sanford is another left shooting LW/C.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Exactly. We can't view the trade in isolation, because we don't know if we do one without the other.

Even more so since Sanford is another left shooting LW/C.
I believe Amry said they wouldn't have traded for Schenn without the Reaves trade happening. Pittsburg approached them a few days before hand IIRC

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Who here is surprised the Wild claimed Prosser? ......Anyone?..........Is anyone surprised?...............Anyone ?.......Anyone?.........Bueller?

Ok, as you were.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Who here is surprised the Wild claimed Prosser? ......Anyone?..........Is anyone surprised?...............Anyone ?.......Anyone?.........Bueller?

Ok, as you were.

I'm vaguely surprised that Buffalo didn't claim him. they've got 3 D on the IR right now and have been horrific on the blue line. I figured they might take a flyer and then waive him once they got healthy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm vaguely surprised that Buffalo didn't claim him. they've got 3 D on the IR right now and have been horrific on the blue line. I figured they might take a flyer and then waive him once they got healthy.

True. I meant that there was no surprise he didn't make it through Minnesota. I thought there was a decent chance someone claimed him before Minnesota did, but no chance he went past them.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Here's what I don't understand: This is two years in a row that Minnesota claimed him off waivers from us. Why would they not just sign him?
From what I understand, he wants 1m'ish to sign with them...so they just poach him for cheaper.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Maybe he doesn't like playing there? If he's claimed by them he has no choice.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Here's what I don't understand: This is two years in a row that Minnesota claimed him off waivers from us. Why would they not just sign him?

It wasn’t 2 years in a row. The last time Minny claimed Prosser from the Blues was a little over 3 years ago. Time flies!

Minny then signed him to a 2 year deal after that but then declined to re-sign him this past summer. I’m not sure why though. My understanding is they felt they had better options but I’d guess now they realize they were wrong on that assessment. STL also gave him a 2 year deal so maybe Minny only was willing to go 1 year? Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad