2017-2018 Blues Discussion Thread Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I like the idea that he's a placeholder...
Put Steen right there. And Yeo keeps the other two lines intact to give them a chance to grow their chemistry.

My dream scenario is Blais comes into the line-up and never gives Yeo an opportunity to take him out, turns into a solid NHL 3rd liner.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Paajarvi on the top line in practice today. That is interesting.

It should make the 1st line quicker. I've been happy with Sobotka so far this year, but that line 71-26-91 is arguably the slowest top line in hockey. Paajarvi has a lot of deficiencies in his game, but maybe they are just looking for some speed on that line to create some space.

I doubt it sticks, but at this point Steen should be close enough that we are likely looking at short term over long term solutions. I can't say that Paajarvi looked bad when he played with Tarasenko last year. He's not a top line player, but I don't think he was a liability out there and the 3rd line could use some help to get going.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I don't hate PRV on that first line. I think it's a better combo than Sobotka for sure. If Blais shows up hot I wouldn't mind him taking that LW spot on the top line. it's his natural position, he's fast, and he's good at driving play. I hope he can play Schwartz light this season.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Put Steen right there. And Yeo keeps the other two lines intact to give them a chance to grow their chemistry.

My dream scenario is Blais comes into the line-up and never gives Yeo an opportunity to take him out, turns into a solid NHL 3rd liner.
Maybe I am being unreasonably optimistic, but I hope he can end up a second liner. A third liner is more likely, but a guy can dream, no?

Reactions: Thallis

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't hate PRV on that first line. I think it's a better combo than Sobotka for sure. If Blais shows up hot I wouldn't mind him taking that LW spot on the top line. it's his natural position, he's fast, and he's good at driving play. I hope he can play Schwartz light this season.
Steen seems like the eventual replacement, which I am fine with. Blais as a hold over could be nice. Magnus on the first is much less desirable to me.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I hate to admit it, but this team isnt going anywhere this year with its current roster. We arent overly big, aren't overly physical, aren't overly fast and aren't overly skilled. We are just a decent team who can win games when it gets great goaltending. The only problem is, I just don't want to trade a bunch of our top prospects for a stop gap solution and jeopardize the future. Too many guys I want to see develop like TT, Kyrou, Kostin, Thomas, Blais, Dunn, Walman, Husso. Not really sure what the solution is.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I hate to admit it, but this team isnt going anywhere this year with its current roster. We arent overly big, aren't overly physical, aren't overly fast and aren't overly skilled. We are just a decent team who can win games when it gets great goaltending. The only problem is, I just don't want to trade a bunch of our top prospects for a stop gap solution and jeopardize the future. Too many guys I want to see develop like TT, Kyrou, Kostin, Thomas, Blais, Dunn, Walman, Husso. Not really sure what the solution is.

We have a top 6 forward and a top 4 defender coming back in the next few weeks. I don't have a doubt in my that the Blues can stay in a wildcard hunt until mid-December when Berglund comes back. Right now the only thing we can really do is wait until we start to get healthy, yeah our 3rd line is suspect, but once Steen gets back Sobotka is gonna be able to go down and help out Barbashev on the 3rd line until Bergy gets back and that line will become very very good. Plus I don't want to make any trades because of the players in the pipeline who should be making the team in the next 2 year.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We have a top 6 forward and a top 4 defender coming back in the next few weeks. I don't have a doubt in my that the Blues can stay in a wildcard hunt until mid-December when Berglund comes back. Right now the only thing we can really do is wait until we start to get healthy, yeah our 3rd line is suspect, but once Steen gets back Sobotka is gonna be able to go down and help out Barbashev on the 3rd line until Bergy gets back and that line will become very very good. Plus I don't want to make any trades because of the players in the pipeline who should be making the team in the next 2 year.

I just don't see Steen, JBo and Berglund as saviors. Hope I'm wrong. Steen hasn't been impressive in a couple years imo.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Welp the season is over. Might as well bulldoze the arena because we suck.
This is how some of you come off. It’s not even 20 games into the season and we’re an inept team. Gotta love Blues fans.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You are basing this off of 6 games this season. I don't really know how such a sample can lead one to believe we aren't overly skilled when that's all the Blues have done this last offseason.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I just don't see Steen, JBo and Berglund as saviors. Hope I'm wrong. Steen hasn't been impressive in a couple years imo.
If the Blues are looking to trade then they need to go after a pick+capdump for a middle 6 RW UFA or a young top 6 center. I don't think we are in as much trouble as everyone thinks tho.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Welp the season is over. Might as well bulldoze the arena because we suck.
This is how some of you come off. It’s not even 20 games into the season and we’re an inept team. Gotta love Blues fans.

Who mentioned inept?

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Who mentioned inept?
No one said it exactly but that’s what I get from a lot of people. Too much pessimism. I think we have flaws but hey with Steen set to come back it pushes a better player down in the lineup. Maybe Blais builds off of a strong first game and starts contributing more.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I dont think the Blues have looked good in any of the 6 games with the exception of the 1st period vs the Stars. Small sample size? Maybe, but 6 games is 14% of the season

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I dont think the Blues have looked good in any of the 6 games with the exception of the 1st period vs the Stars. Small sample size? Maybe, but 6 games is 14% of the season
And there are still 76 games left. Meaning 152 points available. Over a span of six more months.

To each there own, but a 4 - 2 record, with injuries, is objectively not bad. Especially considering that this team went to the second round last year with a worse club.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
6 games is actually 7% and that is a small sample size. Just gotta hope we start gelling a little more in our 3rd and 4th lines. The secondary scoring, well lack there of, is what’s killing us.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
And there are still 76 games left. Meaning 152 points available. Over a span of six more months.

To each there own, but a 4 - 2 record, with injuries, is objectively not bad. Especially considering that this team went to the second round last year with a worse club.

That's my point. Jake stole that Minny series. When he steals games, they can win.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
The Blues aren't at the upper end of the fast, or skilled, or physical spectrum, but they aren't delinquent in any of those things, either. They can win by playing a stronger team game than their opponents, which is certainly doable. Better execution (especially in transition), fewer mistakes, and more effectively layering their pressure will go a long way if they can polish those areas of their game.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
That's my point. Jake stole that Minny series. When he steals games, they can win.
And I'd argue the Blues won because of a sound defensive strategy as well.

Minnesota's system was completely reliant on moving the puck to the forwards in deep. It was there that they'd go for east-west passing to open up the goaltender. Yeo's system nullifies such plays and forces the puck to go back to the defensemen, who then have to either shoot it through a maze of players or try to move it to the half walls. Sure, Allen played great, but to act as if he was the only reason the Blues won is myopic.

Heck, I argue that Nashville beat the Blues because their system was reliant on the offense generated from their defensemen. The Blues actually did quite well shutting down the Nashville forwards, but the defense managed to score in bunches. It's this where Yeo's system isn't nearly as sound because the plan revolves around giving the defensemen room to move the puck in order to nullify the forwards' movement in deep.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I still believe the Blues can put together a nice season despite the injuries. Adding Steen back into the lineup will help out a lot. He is still a good player, even if declining. Adding his offense and defense will make us deeper or better at the top.

Reactions: stl76

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I can see now why losing Fabri this season is HUGE. In these last two games we lacked a 3rd threat (the first two being Tank and Schwartz/Shenn). On long road trips you can't expect your top 2 two threat guys to produce night after night. We need our bottom 6 guys and D corps to pick up the slack and provide that 3rd punch. In the first few games the D corps provided the 3rd punch. They and the bottom 6 were silent when the team went to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad