2017-2018 Blues Discussion Thread Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I just don't see Steen, JBo and Berglund as saviors. Hope I'm wrong. Steen hasn't been impressive in a couple years imo.

Steen hasn’t been impressive in a couple years? In his past 2 seasons he’s had 52 pts in 67 games and 51 pts in 76 games. That’s 1st line production believe it or not.

He’s taken a step back from where he was 3-4 years ago but I’m constantly baffled at how much Steen is under appreciated and undervalued these days. He’s still very easily one of the most important forwards on the team IMO.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Lol, no its not.
You are correct. Six games is only 7.3 percent of an 82 game season. It's not a terribly big deal, given that 82 games is a very long season, making it impossible for teams to play ALL their top players EVERY regular season game. They need to rest veterans. So, Steen missing 6 games is not a disaster (especially given that The Blues won four of those 6, with 5 of them on the road against fairly good teams.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
How's Schenn doing?
Schenn has been playing really well in my estimation. He's had a really good chemistry with Schwartz, and has been playing a very physical game. He's been driving the net a lot, and also acting as Schwartz's trailer. He's been stationing himself in front of the net a lot too. He's been playing well down low and also along the boards. He's been winning a lot of puck battles, and guarding the puck well. He's been handling all the duties of a centre, better than I had expected based on how he had done at centre for The Flyers. He's surpassed my expectations. We got ourselves a good power forward, with a goal-scoring touch, who can also set up his linemates. I'm very happy with the trade. He should be helping The Blues win for many years (if things go right). Blais looked good with them. I hope he will fit in even better after the new line has been together more. I hope Steen will return Wednesday, so The Blues will again have 3 viable scoring lines.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think it's a much better idea to put Tarasenko on the Schenn and Schwartz line. I don't think we should worry about secondary scoring if we've only ended up scoring 3 goals in the past two games.

If Steen's back:
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Blais
PRV-Barbie-Jaskin
Upshall-Sunny-Brodziak

I also wouldn't mind moving Jaskin up and putting Steen down. Jaskin has been really good and has gotten too much shit. But without Schwartz, Tarasenko is just getting owned honestly. If there is one thing this team could look towards trading for another good zone entry winger, our team sorely lacks players to enter the zone.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think it's a much better idea to put Tarasenko on the Schenn and Schwartz line. I don't think we should worry about secondary scoring if we've only ended up scoring 3 goals in the past two games.

If Steen's back:
Steen-Stastny-Blais
PRV-Barbie-Jaskin
Upshall-Sunny-Brodziak

I also wouldn't mind moving Jaskin up and putting Steen down. Jaskin has been really good and has gotten too much ****. But without Schwartz, Tarasenko is just getting owned honestly. If there is one thing this team could look towards trading for another good zone entry winger, our team sorely lacks players to enter the zone.
Did Sobotka go to KHL?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

If Steen's back:
Steen-Stastny-Blais
PRV-Barbie-Jaskin
Upshall-Sunny-Brodziak

I also wouldn't mind moving Jaskin up and putting Steen down. Jaskin has been really good and has gotten too much ****. But without Schwartz, Tarasenko is just getting owned honestly. If there is one thing this team could look towards trading for another good zone entry winger, our team sorely lacks players to enter the zone.
No Sobotka?

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
lol oops! yeah PRV can take Uppy's spot then and slot Sobotka there. **** we need to try our ****ing hardest to grab Galchenyuk.

I don't think we have the pieces for Galchenyuk. We honestly if anything should be looking at a UFA winger that could be available on a cheap contract. Like a Leo Komarov. But, at the same time. when fully healthy there really isn't a glaring hole in the line-up, even with Fabbri out for the season.

Steen-Stastny-Berglund
Sobotka-Barbashev-Blais
Jaskin-Sunqvist-Brodziak.

I honestly don't think we should get a rental early in the year when we still have Bergy coming back in December. Blais looks to be AT LEAST a 3rd line forward and Bergy, while not the best fit, can be a serviceable 2nd line forward for the year.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think we have the pieces for Galchenyuk. We honestly if anything should be looking at a UFA winger that could be available on a cheap contract. Like a Leo Komarov. But, at the same time. when fully healthy there really isn't a glaring hole in the line-up, even with Fabbri out for the season.

Steen-Stastny-Berglund
Sobotka-Barbashev-Blais
Jaskin-Sunqvist-Brodziak.

I honestly don't think we should get a rental early in the year when we still have Bergy coming back in December. Blais looks to be AT LEAST a 3rd line forward and Bergy, while not the best fit, can be a serviceable 2nd line forward for the year.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Can't even remember a time when the team was "fully healthy." Always have to account for injuries.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably too early to make any dramatic moves, but I don't think Blues fans should expect to see a fully healthy lineup at any point this season. If it happens, we'll be pretty lucky.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Man, after reading all these roster discussions all I can think about is how much better this team is with a healthy Fabbri..... Poor kid is hurt and is exactly what we need. :cry:

P.S. I know we need a #1 Center, but that is not realistic at this point

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I just don't see Steen, JBo and Berglund as saviors. Hope I'm wrong. Steen hasn't been impressive in a couple years imo.

It is concerning that Steen's two-way play has declined, and that his SOG fell off a cliff last year. But he is still effective at putting up points, and if you consider how poor the third line and forward scoring has been this year, I think the trickle-down effect of his addition to the lineup would be significant.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It blows me away how underrated Steen has become. Yeah, he isn't a 65 point player who would be on pace for 70+ points like he was 4 years ago . There has been decline since then, but people act like he has completely lost it and is just a warm body out there. He is still a 50-55 point guy with an above average shot. He may not be a defensive monster but he is still (at the absolute worst) a slightly above average defensive winger. It just baffles me that people don't think his absence is all that meaningful.

Last year Steen was the 3rd highest scorer on the team overall and at 5 on 5. He was the 2nd highest scoring forward on the PP last year. 6th on the team in goals and 1 assist shy of being tied for the team lead in assists. And this was universally considered a down year that people are using to say he has lost a step.

Our biggest issue right now is lack of scoring depth. Adding a 50 point player should absolutely help that and there is very little reason to believe that Steen isn't a 50 point player.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
It is concerning that Steen's two-way play has declined, and that his SOG fell off a cliff last year. But he is still effective at putting up points, and if you consider how poor the third line and forward scoring has been this year, I think the trickle-down effect of his addition to the lineup would be significant.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but look at the difference between the Schwartz of last year to how he’s played this year. I think he’s gonna put up a big year with Fabbri out. Also, having Sobotka get moved to the third line should help that line out a lot too. The difference between having Steen or Paajarvi in your top 9 is huge.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think last season painted a bad picture for Steen due to how much he struggled. The points were still there, but I definitely remember him being a black hole at times and constantly turning the puck over. That being said, he's still a terrific player who will bring stability to the lines and provide a positive impact in both the offensive and defensive zone. He will be a big boost to the team.

Reactions: Dbrownss

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I think last season painted a bad picture for Steen due to how much he struggled. The points were still there, but I definitely remember him being a black hole at times and constantly turning the puck over. That being said, he's still a terrific player who will bring stability to the lines and provide a positive impact in both the offensive and defensive zone. He will be a big boost to the team.
Literally the only I worry about when it comes to Steen is his health. He’s still a great player in my book. One management and players alike love. His cap hit is a bit high but if the Blues could just find a way to keep him healthy...it really shouldn’t be an issue down the road. But his days of playing a full 82 schedule are likely behind him. Ideally you’d like to have enough depth where a guy like Steen could miss or game or two for rest and it not be an issue.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
It wasn’t much of a secret that Steen was referred to as one of the “independent contractors” out there. His play really improved once Yeo took over. So I’m willing to give him a pass and really hope we see him vs Chicago on Wednesday.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Steen-Statstny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-???
Berglund-Sobotka-Barbashev/Blais
Upshall/Paajarvi-Brodz-Jaskin/Sundqvist

I know it's a little early talk about trades, but I'd look for a rental RW to go with 17 and 10.

Steen-Staz-Tank has worked before and is as good as any 1st line, and we have more than enough depth on the bottom six.

Even without Fabbri, I see no reason this team can't go deep...possibly contend for a cup. But man, do we miss him. :help:

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Steen-Statstny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-???
Berglund-Sobotka-Barbashev/Blais
Upshall/Paajarvi-Brodz-Jaskin/Sundqvist

I know it's a little early talk about trades, but I'd look for a rental RW to go with 17 and 10.

Steen-Staz-Tank has worked before and is as good as any 1st line, and we have more than enough depth on the bottom six.

Even without Fabbri, I see no reason this team can't go deep...possibly contend for a cup. But man, do we miss him. :help:
Why force Barb to the wing? Sobotka has been playing LW the entire time since he returned to the Blues. Putting Barb between Sobotka-Berglund would be better for his development than just shoving him to the wing.

Reactions: shmotz

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
You're right. My mistake.
You're good, I was just confused, and I have a big bias for Barbs, I think I at one time said that I think Barb could become a high end 2c or a low end 1c. Just a big fan of his and want to see him grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->