2017-18 Training Camp... let the games begin!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bonk, did you watch Suter in Switzerland?

I think i've seen him play live twice now? Plus I saw him in a Swiss national camp exhibition game thing. Plus, I've seen him on TV at least a half dozen more times.

He's a smart, undersized defensive center whose best skill is easily his active stick (good at stealing the puck and poke checks and stuff like that - like a poor man's Mark Stone in that regard). He is tiny, but still plays physical and pays the price to make plays. He's an absolute spark plug over here... the Swiss game is slow as ****ing molasses, but he's usually up and down the ice faster than anyone on the Geneva-Servette team and constantly causing headaches with an aggressive forecheck and an ability to get back into his own zone with good foot speed (which sucks when he did it against us, since I support GSHC).

His drawbacks are
1) that his shot is a wet noodle, and
2) he hesitates a bit too much in the offensive zone. He's much more comfortable defending than he is driving offence.

I think he could be a good 4th line shutdown center in the NHL before his tiny body betrays him at the age of 28 from all of the punishment he would put it through in an NHL career.

If he stays in Europe, expect him to be the shutdown center for every Swiss World Championship team for the next decade. He's that good defensively. If he were 6'2 and 215lbs, he'd be on someone's 4th line already in the NHL.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
if the doctors force Mac to retire he gets paid out and the Sens remove his cap hot.

No, he continues to get paid a salary (not a pay-out), and his cap hit remains in effect.

If he decides to retire he won't get paid the balance of his salary and it might count against the Cap (I think that's how this works).

No, if he decides to officially retire (note: officially), he does not get paid and his cap hit is removed.

If doctors force him to "retire", he will simply be an ir/ltir player until his contract ends & his cap hit will remain.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think i've seen him play live twice now? Plus I saw him in a Swiss national camp exhibition game thing. Plus, I've seen him on TV at least a half dozen more times.

He's a smart, undersized defensive center whose best skill is easily his active stick (good at stealing the puck and poke checks and stuff like that - like a poor man's Mark Stone in that regard). He is tiny, but still plays physical and pays the price to make plays. He's an absolute spark plug over here... the Swiss game is slow as ****ing molasses, but he's usually up and down the ice faster than anyone on the Geneva-Servette team and constantly causing headaches with an aggressive forecheck and an ability to get back into his own zone with good foot speed (which sucks when he did it against us, since I support GSHC).

His drawbacks are
1) that his shot is a wet noodle, and
2) he hesitates a bit too much in the offensive zone. He's much more comfortable defending than he is driving offence.

I think he could be a good 4th line shutdown center in the NHL before his tiny body betrays him at the age of 28 from all of the punishment he would put it through in an NHL career.

If he stays in Europe, expect him to be the shutdown center for every Swiss World Championship team for the next decade. He's that good defensively. If he were 6'2 and 215lbs, he'd be on someone's 4th line already in the NHL.

Well we have one small defensive centre that I like so why not two. Thanks for the review.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No, he continues to get paid a salary (not a pay-out), and his cap hit remains in effect.

No, if he decides to officially retire (note: officially), he does not get paid and his cap hit is removed.

If doctors force him to "retire", he will simply be an ir/ltir player until his contract ends & his cap hit will remain.

Until he is placed on LTIR.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

If this were the case, no one would be whining about Chicago's situation with Hossa.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's a bit concerning to say the least. Bobby Mac is a very respected journalist, and isn't prone to stirring it up just for the sake of it. With some media guys, they are just making stuff up. With him, it's the opposite - you almost wonder if he knows more than he's letting on. We'll know more on Friday, but between this and Dorion's strangely non-committal response about Clarke, I'm wondering if something might be up...

BMac interviewed Dorion. Dorion told him there was some concern at the end of last year surrounding the issues with his neck and that MacA would need to get clearance

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Would he still count against the cap even though it's not a 35+ contract?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

LTIR doesn't exactly count against the cap. It's not the same as having unused cap space as teams only get the surplus created by however much they go over when they place the player on LTIR.

Mac's cap hit is 4.65M. This doesn't mean that if Mac is on LTIR, the Senators get 4.65M in free cap space.

Let's say we have a 75M cap. The Sens w/Mac are at 78M which is 3 million over the cap. They have to place MacArthur on LTIR to get under the cap and become cap compliant. They are then considered to be at 75M with a bonus 3 million they are now allowed to spend.

In the past, teams have set up their opening night roster in a specific way to make it as expensive as possible so that they get the most out of LTIR and then an send guys down/call guys up to get their actual roster.

Although keep in mind, this is hardly relevant to the Senators since we're not a cap team. All that's relevant is whether Mac's contract is insured, and by how much. I think the rumour was (not sure if it was ever confirmed) that the Sens would only be on the hook for 20 percent of the remaining money, with insurance covering 80 percent. Mac makes 4.75M in real money, so it is possible if he is LTIRedtired the Sens are on the hook of just shy of 1M, with insurance paying 3.8M.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If doctors do force Mac to retire, how do they justify clearing him to play for the playoffs last year? I don't remember him taking any notable hits in the playoffs that you could point to and say that hit aggravated the neck/head injury.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If doctors do force Mac to retire, how do they justify clearing him to play for the playoffs last year? I don't remember him taking any notable hits in the playoffs that you could point to and say that hit aggravated the neck/head injury.

The science on brain injuries is far from being conclusive and final.

This to me has the feeling of the Sens letting a prized fighter have one more shot in the ring before he hangs them up. The Sens let Mac return for the playoffs so he could go out his way and with his teammates instead of how he did. Retire in peace with hockey.

My guess is Mac knew last playoffs his would be his final run and the risks of continuing we're to great hat his returns was always going to be temporary and not long term.

But this does raise the question of his retirement and the procedure to it. Last season we expected him to return and everything indicated he would, even Mac said the tests and everything was fine and he expected to be cleared to play and management was beating the Mac drum, then the news he's done and probably will be forced to retire, then suddenly out of nowhere he comes back.

'My guess is was passing some baseline tests one day and failing them the next day so in theory he could of been cleared on a Monday and not on a Tuesday. Management talks to him about this, Mac says he wants one more shot and after the playoffs he'll retire and they get his Cap off the books. Everyone ne is happy, nobody has broken any rules, we all get we want out of a bad situation,

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The science on brain injuries is far from being conclusive and final.

This to me has the feeling of the Sens letting a prized fighter have one more shot in the ring before he hangs them up. The Sens let Mac return for the playoffs so he could go out his way and with his teammates instead of how he did. Retire in peace with hockey.

My guess is Mac knew last playoffs his would be his final run and the risks of continuing we're to great hat his returns was always going to be temporary and not long term.

But this does raise the question of his retirement and the procedure to it. Last season we expected him to return and everything indicated he would, even Mac said the tests and everything was fine and he expected to be cleared to play and management was beating the Mac drum, then the news he's done and probably will be forced to retire, then suddenly out of nowhere he comes back.

'My guess is was passing some baseline tests one day and failing them the next day so in theory he could of been cleared on a Monday and not on a Tuesday. Management talks to him about this, Mac says he wants one more shot and after the playoffs he'll retire and they get his Cap off the books. Everyone ne is happy, nobody has broken any rules, we all get we want out of a bad situation,

I don't see a doctor in this day and age giving Mac the clearance to play if they weren't 100% sure he was ok. Too much money at stake, the medical license, and the NHL concussion lawsuit thing happening.

Now, if this is like a Hossa situation, where he can play but it's mostly mental with Mac, that he doesn't feel comfortable on the ice....maybe I can see a ltir. After all, a guy "playing scared" on the ice endangers everyone out there. But still....very shaky ground.

......unless something happened this summer with training or whatever.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

There was that one headshot he took in the Rangers series...

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Part of the reason people are complaining about Hossa is that they perceive Hossa's skin issue to be a convenient excuse for him to retire under LTIR, which in turn allows the Blackhawks not to have to pay in cap penalties for all the years the benefited from Hossa's deflated cap hit.

Hossa's contract is a completely different beast to your typical contract because it was a front loaded deal with a "fake" cap hit signed under the previous CBA. It had a bunch of years on the end of the contract that when the contract was signed it was probably agreed Hossa probably wasn't going to play where Hossa would only make 1M in order to drive down the AAV. The NHL instituted a "cap recapture" penalty meant to punish teams in the future for past seasons where they benefited from these contracts.

The basic gist of it in relation to the Hossa contract is that his real salary dropped to 1M this season when his cap hit was still over 5M. If Hossa retired without having reasonable cause to be put on the LTIR, the Blackhawks would have been hit with millions in cap penalties to make up for all the years they benefited from his deflated cap hit.

I'm not saying Hossa is faking, but I'm saying people perceive it that way that it's not a serious enough issue to justify LTIR...that it is so convenient that the moment Hossa's salary drops down to 1M, he's disabled enough to go on the LTIR so that the Blackhawks avoid cap penalties that would have forced them to trade away a big salary player for futures.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
#Sens prospect Nick Paul spotted walking down hallway at CTC on a crutch. Paul remains my dark horse candidate to make opening night roster

Everyone is injured.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Clarke failed his medical.

I am saddened by this, CMac was a great soldier for the Senators and the guys love him in the locker room. I hope he makes the best choice for him and his family.

Hoping he has a long and healthy life by walking away from the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad