2017-18 Training Camp... let the games begin!

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Can't wait...with the way some guys ended their year last year (Ryan, Brassard before he hurt his shoulder, Anderson, Claesson etc.) and the amount of young guys we'll have fighting for spots, there's alot to be excited for. This Karlsson-less team will shock alot of people in the opening weeks

karlsgod65

Sep 13, 2016
No Matteo Gennaro (sp?)....
I really liked his game in what I saw in TOR

Anyone know more about him?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On twitter The Bob is wondering if MacArthur will be cleared by the doctors at training camp.

That's a bit concerning to say the least. Bobby Mac is a very respected journalist, and isn't prone to stirring it up just for the sake of it. With some media guys, they are just making stuff up. With him, it's the opposite - you almost wonder if he knows more than he's letting on. We'll know more on Friday, but between this and Dorion's strangely non-committal response about Clarke, I'm wondering if something might be up...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Training Camp Rosters:

Thirty-three (33) forwards, 2016-17 team(s):
Drake Batherson (Cape Breton - QMJHL), Mike Blunden (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Derick Brassard* (Ottawa - NHL), Logan Brown (Windsor - OHL), Alex Burrows (Vancouver - NHL, Ottawa - NHL), Filip Chlapik (Charlottetown - QMJHL), Chris DiDomenico (Langnau - Swiss NLA, Ottawa - NHL), Vincent Dunn (Wichita - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL), Ryan Dzingel (Ottawa - NHL), Kyle Flanagan (Binghamton - AHL), Alex Formenton (London - OHL), Gabriel Gagne (Wichita - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL), Mike Hoffman (Ottawa - NHL), Parker Kelly (Prince Albert - WHL), Clarke MacArthur (Ottawa - NHL), Max McCormick (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Jean-Gabriel Pageau (Ottawa - NHL), Nick Paul (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Francis Perron (Binghamton - AHL), Tom Pyatt (Ottawa - NHL), Tyler Randell (Providence - AHL), Max Reinhart (Cologne - DEL), Jack Rodewald (Wichita - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL), Bobby Ryan (Ottawa - NHL), Ben Sexton (Albany - AHL), Zack Smith (Ottawa - NHL), Mark Stone (Ottawa - NHL), Pius Suter (Zurich SC - Swiss-A), Nate Thompson (San Diego - AHL, Anaheim - NHL), Kyle Turris (Ottawa - NHL), Chris VandeVelde (Philadelphia - NHL), Colin White (Boston College - H-East, Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Brendan Woods (Charlotte - AHL

Eighteen (18) defencemen, 2016-17 team(s):
Charles-David Beaudoin (UQTR - OUA, Tulsa - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL), Mark Borowiecki (Ottawa - NHL), Erik Burgdoerfer (Rochester - AHL, Buffalo - NHL), Cody Ceci (Ottawa - NHL), Thomas Chabot (Saint John - QMJHL, Ottawa - NHL), Fredrik Claesson (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Cody Donaghey (Charlottetown - QMJHL, Sherbrooke - QMJHL), Andreas Englund (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Macoy Erkamps (Wichita - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL), Ben Harpur (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Christian Jaros (Luleå - SHL), Erik Karlsson* (Ottawa - NHL), Maxime Lajoie (Swift Current - WHL), Jordan Murray (New Brunswick - AUS, Binghamton - AHL), Johnny Oduya (Dallas - NHL, Chicago - NHL), Dion Phaneuf (Ottawa - NHL), Patrick Sieloff (Binghamton - AHL), Chris Wideman (Ottawa - NHL).

Six goaltenders, 2016-17 team(s):
Craig Anderson (Ottawa - NHL), Mike Condon (Pittsburgh - NHL, Ottawa - NHL), Chris Driedger (Wichita - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Andrew Hammond (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Marcus Hogberg (Linköping - SHL, Binghamton - AHL), Danny Taylor (Zagreb Medvescak - KHL, Novosibirsk Sibir - KHL

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
Fascinating to me that undrafted 18 year old free agent Parker Kelly was invited to main camp.

I was impressed with Matteo Gennaro at the rookie tournament and thought he would get an invite and potentially an AHL deal.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Still think Mac retires and Sens sign Jagr. They needed a down low presence last year and he can provide that.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
That's a bit concerning to say the least. Bobby Mac is a very respected journalist, and isn't prone to stirring it up just for the sake of it. With some media guys, they are just making stuff up. With him, it's the opposite - you almost wonder if he knows more than he's letting on. We'll know more on Friday, but between this and Dorion's strangely non-committal response about Clarke, I'm wondering if something might be up...

Considering what has been discussed in other threads, then Dorion's vague comments and now Mackenzie putting this out there, pretty safe to say he's donezo.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Considering what has been discussed in other threads, then Dorion's vague comments and now Mackenzie putting this out there, pretty safe to say he's donezo.

If you can read between the lines of the Dorion interview, if the doctors force Mac to retire he gets paid out and the Sens remove his cap hot. If he decides to retire he won't get paid the balance of his salary and it might count against the Cap (I think that's how this works).

Doctors forcing retirement means everyone is happy, Macs family, Mac gets paid, Ottawa gets the Cap relief And it's the best of a bad and sad situation

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If you can read between the lines of the Dorion interview, if the doctors force Mac to retire he gets paid out and the Sens remove his cap hot. If he decides to retire he won't get paid the balance of his salary and it might count against the Cap (I think that's how this works).

Doctors forcing retirement means everyone is happy, Macs family, Mac gets paid, Ottawa gets the Cap relief And it's the best of a bad and sad situation

Would he still count against the cap even though it's not a 35+ contract?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would he still count against the cap even though it's not a 35+ contract?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

The issue is he wouldn't actually retire; he'd LTIR'etire.

If he were to retire, prior to completing a contract signed before turning 35, he'd forgo his pay, and the team would not be on the hook for his cap hit. The 35 plus rule was implemented to address extending contracts beyond the point where players expected to continue playing to artificially reduce the cap hit without costing the player any money. For example, Sign Jagr today for 2 years at 6 mi in year 1 and 3 mil in year two, cap hit of 4.5. He then retires after year one, and we got a 1 year deal for a 6 mil player at a 4.5 cap hit. This type of cap circumvention typically doesn't make sense when the player is under 35 years old.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fascinating to me that undrafted 18 year old free agent Parker Kelly was invited to main camp.

I was impressed with Matteo Gennaro at the rookie tournament and thought he would get an invite and potentially an AHL deal.

Was hoping they'd sign him.

Not a future star or anything but looked like a guy who could be a good 3rd/4th line guy one day.

Disappointing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Losing Mac for the year could very be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

Him retiring may help out the cap situation long term, but it's still a loss.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Losing Mac for the year could very be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

Nixing his $ brings them back in to what we suppose to be their budget range. If/how they replace him/spend will be very interesting....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What really kills us is the uncertainty. If you know he's done, you can plan accordingly. If his money is off the books, even better, you can sign a stopgap like Jagr. But we've gone through the entire offseason without anything definitive.

If it were anybody but McKenzie, I'd assume nothing but random speculation. But even when Bob presents it as speculation, you have to wonder if there was some inside info that made him put that out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad