2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kapanen, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Leivo shot at making the line-up next year?
Kapanen will make it. Leivo has a good chance. It really depends on if we keep one of the 3 UFA. I'm not totally opposed to keeping JVR if we can find good middle-ground on a deal. He has frustrating habits, but he has a unique skill-set that is hard to replicate. He's a big reason we've had a top 5 powerplay over the last 2 years. Matthews could do what he does, but I'd rather Matthews be a shooting threat from the side-boards in Babcock's set up.

Korshkov and Grundstrom are probably Marlie players next year. I'm optimistic, but it is almost impossible to beat the average return of draft positions by a significant margin. The odds dictate 3 of our 31-61 picks will outright bust, it would be a big achievement if all 4 of Dermott, Bracco, Korshkov, and Grundstrom manage to play over 200 NHL games each. I think Dermott will make it given his progression. The others, I'm hopeful for, but not penciling them into the line-up yet, let alone thinking of using pen. I'd expect Grundstrom and Korshkov to be in the AHL next year. Korshkov hasn't had a great year coming off a broken leg, and Grundstrom has been injured and hasn't taken a step forward.

Reactions: Bullseye

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Kapanen will make it. Leivo has a good chance. It really depends on if we keep one of the 3 UFA. I'm not totally opposed to keeping JVR if we can find good middle-ground on a deal. He has frustrating habits, but he has a unique skill-set that is hard to replicate. He's a big reason we've had a top 5 powerplay over the last 2 years. Matthews could do what he does, but I'd rather Matthews be a shooting threat from the side-boards in Babcock's set up.

Korshkov and Grundstrom are probably Marlie players next year. I'm optimistic, but it is almost impossible to beat the average return of draft positions by a significant margin. The odds dictate 3 of our 31-61 picks will outright bust, it would be a big achievement if all 4 of Dermott, Bracco, Korshkov, and Grundstrom manage to play over 200 NHL games each. I think Dermott will make it given his progression. The others, I'm hopeful for, but not penciling them into the line-up yet, let alone thinking of using pen. I'd expect Grundstrom and Korshkov to be in the AHL next year. Korshkov hasn't had a great year coming off a broken leg, and Grundstrom has been injured and hasn't taken a step forward.

Korshkov has been one of his teams top scorers the last 25 games... If not the top scorer...

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Kapanen, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Leivo shot at making the line-up next year?

Kapanen: Yes, if he hasn't been traded.
Korshkov: Could be anywhere. Russia again, Marlies or Leafs. I'd guess the first two are more likely.
Grundstrom: He'll be in N.A next year. Likely with the Marlies to start.
Aaltonen: Don't like his chances TBH. Especially if Freddie continues to play well - could very well be back in Europe.
Leivo: If he's here, yeah.

Reactions: Bullseye

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think Johnsson should be next in the pecking order after Kapanen.

I honestly don't know much about his game other than he has a nose for potting goals. What's his Babcock game like? Can he be a grinder in addition to a scorer?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

The Marlies route seems to be working really well. Babcock was talking about how Rielly if the Leafs were better he wouldn't be a 24 year old d-man with 5 years NHL experience he would've just been coming out of his development period with the Marlies. Grunny and Korsh in the AHL makes perfect sense. Given that - there will certainly be openings on the roster. God-forbid they resign all 3 UFA's lol. Moore doesn't have a prayer here after this season. Bracco will be in the cooker much longer I would think.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
There is no room for Kapanen or Leivo in this lineup. They aren't better than any existing players. Bozak, JVR and Komarov will all be re-signed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Marlies route seems to be working really well. Babcock was talking about how Rielly if the Leafs were better he wouldn't be a 24 year old d-man with 5 years NHL experience he would've just been coming out of his development period with the Marlies. Grunny and Korsh in the AHL makes perfect sense. Given that - there will certainly be openings on the roster. God-forbid they resign all 3 UFA's lol. Moore doesn't have a prayer here after this season. Bracco will be in the cooker much longer I would think.
I think Babs is exaggerating a bit on Rielly. He makes probably any team in a sheltered role at 20 as a 5th overall pick (and consensus top 10 guy) living up to expectations. I mean, look at Sergachev who is currently getting minutes as a 19-year-old on a team likely to win the presidents trophy. In most cases, Rielly was good enough to be a bottom pairing guy at 19, which was a better option than Moose Jaw again. Once that happens, unless a player seriously regresses they won't be sent to the AHL after a year of NHL duty.

I would expect the openings to go to Kapanen and Leivo (especially if we lose JVR), with Nylander getting Bozak's center spot (and Marner getting Nylander's spot with Matthews). You also have to think Brown gets a permanent top 9 spot. So that really only leaves a 4th line spot out there. I'd think if we keep JVR, we also move on from Leivo. Next years lineup probably looks like this.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
JVR/Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
Martin-Gauthier-xxxx

That last spot could easily end up being filled by a veteran who can kill penalties and provide energy on a 1-year deal (for example some guy who makes it on a PTO).

I'd move on from Bozak and Komarov. Moore is gone. JVR, I'd try to keep, as I think he provides a fairly unique skill-set that should age well, but I wouldn't pay a crazy premium to do it.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think Babs is exaggerating a bit on Rielly. He makes probably any team in a sheltered role at 20 as a 5th overall pick (and consensus top 10 guy) living up to expectations. I mean, look at Sergachev who is currently getting minutes as a 19-year-old on a team likely to win the presidents trophy. In most cases, Rielly was good enough to be a bottom pairing guy at 19, which was a better option than Moose Jaw again. Once that happens, unless a player seriously regresses they won't be sent to the AHL after a year of NHL duty.

I would expect the openings to go to Kapanen and Leivo (especially if we lose JVR), with Nylander getting Bozak's center spot (and Marner getting Nylander's spot with Matthews). You also have to think Brown gets a permanent top 9 spot. So that really only leaves a 4th line spot out there. I'd think if we keep JVR, we also move on from Leivo. Next years lineup probably looks like this.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
JVR/Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
Martin-Gauthier-xxxx

That last spot could easily end up being filled by a veteran who can kill penalties and provide energy on a 1-year deal (for example some guy who makes it on a PTO).

I'd move on from Bozak and Komarov. Moore is gone. JVR, I'd try to keep, as I think he provides a fairly unique skill-set that should age well, but I wouldn't pay a crazy premium to do it.

I like this line-up a lot. I am also a JVR realist - he can do what few other forwards can do offensively and his defensive awareness under Babcock has improved noticeably. Fingers-crossed he wants to stay here badly enough that Lou can work out a livable contract for everyone involved. Bozak has to get out of the top 9 but I wouldn't be opposed to see him return as a talented 4th line centre. Gauthier is not a full-time NHL centre - I think he's always gonna be a Marlie that gets called up as injury replacement only.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I like this line-up a lot. I am also a JVR realist - he can do what few other forwards can do offensively and his defensive awareness under Babcock has improved noticeably. Fingers-crossed he wants to stay here badly enough that Lou can work out a livable contract for everyone involved. Bozak has to get out of the top 9 but I wouldn't be opposed to see him return as a talented 4th line centre. Gauthier is not a full-time NHL centre - I think he's always gonna be a Marlie that gets called up as injury replacement only.
Next year is make it or break with Gauthier. He becomes waiver eligible, so there's a chance another team would gamble on him as a 4th liner at that point.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Possibly next season

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
JVR Aaltonen Marner
Grundstrom/Leivo Gauthier Brown

Reilly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Borgman Dermott

Andersen
Pickard

Only issue is who else would play center on the Marlies. We need some center prospects

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kapanen: Yes, if he hasn't been traded.
Korshkov: Could be anywhere. Russia again, Marlies or Leafs. I'd guess the first two are more likely.
Grundstrom: He'll be in N.A next year. Likely with the Marlies to start.
Aaltonen: Don't like his chances TBH. Especially if Freddie continues to play well - could very well be back in Europe.
Leivo: If he's here, yeah.

Korshkov should be with the Marlies next year for development; or else we should make a hockey trade. I am still high on Korshkov but want to see him play on NA ice instead of Europe

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I believe Korshkov has stated he plans to be in Toronto next year.

I mean he can always surprise us in pre-season but I would guess he's starting in the AHL. Babcock loves Grundstrom so he's an interesting wild card. If he can have a good off-season in the gym, he is someone who can do what Hyman does on the Matthews' line but has the talent to finish.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Playoff picture as of today ~ We currently have an 11 point buffer on an Atlantic division spot, and are 6 poitns above the last wildcard. We are tied with Boston however they possess the tie reaker which is games played, they have 4 in hand. If we want home ice in the playoffs we need to get ahead of them.

NHL Hockey Standings

Our remaining schedule

upload_2018-1-7_17-29-44.png

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
so basically, the goal should be operation get 1 point.
teams not in our conference - just finish in overtime and get a point
teams in our division - two.
teams like Islanders etc, try to get the regulation 2, but still - get the reg: win if needed, and then sweep the Boston series.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
i

'd assume kapanen and leivo are locks, idk about the other guys

I’d agree. Those two are likely candidates to be on the roster opening night and they may also sign a UFA centreman too (or go with Aaltonen)

Korshkov and Grundstrom could potentially be on the team later on next season but probably not opening night.

At this point I suspect all Leafs UFAs will leave on July 1st.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I’d agree. Those two are likely candidates to be on the roster opening night and they may also sign a UFA centreman too (or go with Aaltonen)

Korshkov and Grundstrom could potentially be on the team later on next season but probably not opening night.

yup i'd expect the leafs to keep them for a playoff run. management would think its asinine to trade them when the team is doing well. imo kapanen will replace nylander when he moves to C and leivo replaces jvr when he leaves. leivo-nylander-kapanen will be a very interesting line to watch. it has skill, speed and size. also the pp will be interesting as it will have plenty of new faces.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
so basically, the goal should be operation get 1 point.
teams not in our conference - just finish in overtime and get a point
teams in our division - two.
teams like Islanders etc, try to get the regulation 2, but still - get the reg: win if needed, and then sweep the Boston series.

If they can win more than they lose for the rest of the season they'll get in

Thats all they need to worry about at this stage

I wouldn't mind seeing Aaltonen getting a shot at that sheltered #3C spot

Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this video talks about what i've been saying that we shouldn't be dismissive about the lower teams nor should we discount where we are just because of our divison

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
this video talks about what i've been saying that we shouldn't be dismissive about the lower teams nor should we discount where we are just because of our divison

We're 11 points up halfway through the season Daisy

If we somehow mange to screw this up it would be the Leafiest thing in Leafs history

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad