2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Could have finished higher if Babs wasn't so stubborn and listened to us posters :sarcasm:
Good point, you know your hockey. But this is a time for celebration. Babcock did a good job for the most part. Next year will determine if he can bump that status to great.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Could have finished higher if Babs wasn't so stubborn and listened to us posters :sarcasm:

well, the turning point of the season did actually come when Babs listened to us, dropped Leo out of the top 9, dropped martin out of the lineup, and added in dermott and kappy.

since then we've been unstoppable.

now what if babs had done that sooner?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
well, the turning point of the season did actually come when Babs listened to us, dropped Leo out of the top 9, dropped martin out of the lineup, and added in dermott and kappy.

since then we've been unstoppable.

now what if babs had done that sooner?

Can't say the timing is wrong. I just wish they had also acquired an upgrade on TyBo and another solid dman. Upgrade on Moore is meh so far.At the end of the day, I think there is a method to Babs' madness. We won't always agree with the route he takes but he does get us to our destination.

Reactions: saltming

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Good point, you know your hockey. But this is a time for celebration. Babcock did a good job for the most part. Next year will determine if he can bump that status to great.

Franchise Record in wins and points

=

Good job for the most part

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
We ended up better than last year recordwise, mostly due to the shootout(39 vs 42 ROW)

however the team itself is better than that measure of improvement, as trying to change style midseason, not playing our best lineup all year, and overplaying Andersen definitely cost us points.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was critical of Babs when he shackled our forwards earlier in the season, but some posters pointed out that it was short term pain for long term gain to prepare the boys how to tighten up in the playoffs.

It's time to pay the piper baby.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was critical of Babs when he shackled our forwards earlier in the season, but some posters pointed out that it was short term pain for long term gain to prepare the boys how to tighten up in the playoffs.

It's time to pay the piper baby.

Not only that, but some think that our sports science department had our top players playing less in the first half in order to allow them to play more in the second half and the playoffs.

So far that theory checks out, so we may see our top 2 lines play even more in the playoffs.

Reactions: saltming

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Great accomplishment by a young team. How much you ascribe Babcock as a MAJOR factor in that is open to healthy debate.

I think he's a huge factor.

Look at the work he has done with Nazem Kadri since he has arrived. Morgan Rielly as well. He's done the work with Mitch Marner and William Nylander. People might not agree or like the tough love approach he had with all 4 players, but it's made them all better. I think he's a huge reason why Patrick Marleau signed here. That's 5 of our 6 best players.

Like it's okay as a fan to be frustrated with some of his systems, or waiting an extra 15-20 games to remove a player from the lineup, but at the end of the day, he's a major part of this team.

Trying to argue that this team wins despite that is silly.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Without Babcock, they aren't gud pro's.

Great season. From the Shanniplan and Lou down to Babcock, coaching staff, Andersen and the young core have been as advertised. Didn't really go into a prolonged slump. Survived some significant injuries along the way. Rested and healthy for the Playoffs...onward

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Look at the work he has done with Nazem Kadri since he has arrived. Morgan Rielly as well. He's done the work with Mitch Marner and William Nylander. People might not agree or like the tough love approach he had with all 4 players, but it's made them all better. I think he's a huge reason why Patrick Marleau signed here. That's 5 of our 6 best players.

Like it's okay as a fan to be frustrated with some of his systems, or waiting an extra 15-20 games to remove a player from the lineup, but at the end of the day, he's a major part of this team.

All things considered, I definitely agree with this.

Reactions: stickty111 and Cor

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The worst part about playing Tampa in the first round is having to see their knock off Leafs jerseys for an entire series.

Throw that in with Stamkos and I already have plenty of reason to hate them.

Yep, I mean its no reason to hate the actual Lightning fanbase because they have no say it what the team wears, but my respect for Steve Yzerman, Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment, the owner Jeffrey Vinik..who is also minority owner of the Red Sox btw is completely 0, no respect whatsoever.

To blatantly make the conscious decision rip off Toronto's colours and even decide to go with a similar design to what the Leafs wore throughout the 70's and 80's is inexcusable. (single waist stripe)

Reactions: Mats13

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

Kadri I agree. The tough love when he was a bit of a loose cannon worked very well. Reilly, Marner, and Nylander were talented skilled players who might have matured into the players they are sooner if a different approach had been taken (yo-yo-ing up and down the lineup while vets had a free pass).

Your opinion is not wrong, I just don’t agree that he has been a major influence in their productive year. Another good coach with a different approach and without his tendencies might have achieved more. That’s why I said it was open to debate.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I didn't have any waiver to sign? I did everything online (assuming you did the same). Was this in your email? Just curious.

I misspoke about the waiver signing, the agreement is implied by the purchase.

Please note that based on the use of the tickets purchased under this Membership account primarily for personal and/or hospitality purposes, this account is eligible to continue to receive Member benefits during the 2018-2019 season. Member benefits include, without limitation, preferred pricing, flexible payment options and additional member gifting opportunities. MLSE reserves the right to terminate your eligibility for certain Member benefits at any time, including in the event that MLSE determines, in its sole discretion, that the tickets purchased under this Membership account are being used primarily for resale. Your use of the membership and the associated admission tickets is governed by the terms and conditions available at www.mlse.com/membertermsandconditions. Your tendering of payment or acceptance of a ticket signifies your acceptance of, and your agreement to be bound by, these terms and conditions. *

[ ]

Please note that due to applicable league rules and/or requirements, your Membership Seat location may be relocated for the 2018 playoff games, as well as for select games in the 2018-19 Season. In the event that this occurs, we will do our best to relocate you based on available inventory. *
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri I agree. The tough love when he was a bit of a loose cannon worked very well. Reilly, Marner, and Nylander were talented skilled players who might have matured into the players they are sooner if a different approach had been taken (yo-yo-ing up and down the lineup while vets had a free pass).

Your opinion is not wrong, I just don’t agree that he has been a major influence in their productive year. Another good coach with a different approach and without his tendencies might have achieved more. That’s why I said it was open to debate.

I kind of think the opposite is true with Babcock's approach to Kadri. He praised him from day one and Kadri said it was the first time he felt like management/coaches etc. were in his court so to speak, can't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it. It might be more accurate to say that under Babcock, Kadri felt "loved" for the first time as a Leaf. Doesn't mean he never got any criticism, he certainly did but I think overall he always felt like a very valued player from the minute Babcock took over.

Please note that based on the use of the tickets purchased under this Membership account primarily for personal and/or hospitality purposes, this account is eligible to continue to receive Member benefits during the 2018-2019 season. Member benefits include, without limitation, preferred pricing, flexible payment options and additional member gifting opportunities. MLSE reserves the right to terminate your eligibility for certain Member benefits at any time, including in the event that MLSE determines, in its sole discretion, that the tickets purchased under this Membership account are being used primarily for resale. Your use of the membership and the associated admission tickets is governed by the terms and conditions available at www.mlse.com/membertermsandconditions. Your tendering of payment or acceptance of a ticket signifies your acceptance of, and your agreement to be bound by, these terms and conditions. *[ ]
Please note that due to applicable league rules and/or requirements, your Membership Seat location may be relocated for the 2018 playoff games, as well as for select games in the 2018-19 Season. In the event that this occurs, we will do our best to relocate you based on available inventory. *
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think the key phrase there is "primarily for resale". I take that to mean that selling tickets you can't use on occasion is fine, selling tickets on a regular basis is not which seems entirely reasonable.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I kind of think the opposite is true with Babcock's approach to Kadri. He praised him from day one and Kadri said it was the first time he felt like management/coaches etc. were in his court so to speak, can't remember the exact quote but that was the gist of it. It might be more accurate to say that under Babcock, Kadri felt "loved" for the first time as a Leaf. Doesn't mean he never got any criticism, he certainly did but I think overall he always felt like a very valued player from the minute Babcock took over.

I think the key phrase there is "primarily for resale". I take that to mean that selling tickets you can't use on occasion is fine, selling tickets on a regular basis is not which seems entirely reasonable.
It's a vague term agreed but I can't imagine anyone willing to take the chance.
This is for the Playoffs, they may only play 2/3 home games.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens

Please note that based on the use of the tickets purchased under this Membership account primarily for personal and/or hospitality purposes, this account is eligible to continue to receive Member benefits during the 2018-2019 season. Member benefits include, without limitation, preferred pricing, flexible payment options and additional member gifting opportunities. MLSE reserves the right to terminate your eligibility for certain Member benefits at any time, including in the event that MLSE determines, in its sole discretion, that the tickets purchased under this Membership account are being used primarily for resale. Your use of the membership and the associated admission tickets is governed by the terms and conditions available at www.mlse.com/membertermsandconditions. Your tendering of payment or acceptance of a ticket signifies your acceptance of, and your agreement to be bound by, these terms and conditions. *[ ]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Got it, thanks.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Lol even NSH and VGK has more franchise points total than us. There is absolutely zero value in celebrating this mediocre achievement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad