2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Is this the pain? If so, Babcock was right. This is awful to watch right now. This team is complete junk right now, other than Andersen.

I exaggerate of course, but the terrible play with the lead is actually overshadowing some decent play in the 1st and 2nd periods.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Boston 16 games in a row with a point.

We might be getting Tampa in the 1st round

We do not match up well to either. 3rd best in an otherwise weak division isn't ideal. Especially when your division rivals have Vezzie class tenders, more discipline equal to better firepower and better D.

Drafting more gems is the only way to get there.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So some really rough numbers

NHL Hockey Standings

At 48 games played, the Leafs sit at 57 points, a full 13 points ahead of the nearest competition for a playoff spot (Florida). Although it doesnt matter until such time as we drop out of the Atlantic playoff spot, we are also 4 points ahead of the last wildcard.

Assuming that 93 points locks in a playoff spot (the usual amount), we need 36 points in 34 games. Florida would require 49 points in 37. What is throwing these numbers out of whack this year is how bad the Atlantic is.

We have two games left vs the Panthers. Those are important. We also have 4 games against Buffalo, which we need to capitalize on.

So even though we've been playing terrible hockey, and had our bye week, we've actually added to our playoff lead this month.

Reactions: HogTown06

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
So some really rough numbers

NHL Hockey Standings

At 48 games played, the Leafs sit at 57 points, a full 13 points ahead of the nearest competition for a playoff spot (Florida). Although it doesnt matter until such time as we drop out of the Atlantic playoff spot, we are also 4 points ahead of the last wildcard.

Assuming that 93 points locks in a playoff spot (the usual amount), we need 36 points in 34 games. Florida would require 49 points in 37. What is throwing these numbers out of whack this year is how bad the Atlantic is.

We have two games left vs the Panthers. Those are important. We also have 4 games against Buffalo, which we need to capitalize on.

So even though we've been playing terrible hockey, and had our bye week, we've actually added to our playoff lead this month.

Great perspective. How about catching the Bruins, do you think it's still possible? I don't think they'll be able to keep this point streak for long.

member 262271

How the hell have the leafs not played Buffalo yet? This schedule is weird man.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
What's this story I keep seeing on twitter about, something like Lou made a player switch numbers? What's the big deal?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Saw an interesting stat: in the last 12 games when the Leafs have paired Borgman and Polak they’ve been out scored by their opponent 16-11, but when borgman has been paired with Carrick the Leafs outscored their opponents 12-7

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Beleskey demoted by the Bruins and they take off. Wonder if we see something similar if Komarov went to the 4th line and Polak scratched?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How the hell have the leafs not played Buffalo yet? This schedule is weird man.
we play them 3 times in march and once in april. we would have completed the season series with carolina, rangers, flyers, bruins, all the west teams besides winnipeg, dallas and nashville, as well as the capitals, blue jackets and sens before playing the sabres.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Saw an interesting stat: in the last 12 games when the Leafs have paired Borgman and Polak they’ve been out scored by their opponent 16-11, but when borgman has been paired with Carrick the Leafs outscored their opponents 12-7

We're the Polak Borgman pairing getting tougher competition? Because if there not that's brutal

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Leafs should probably sell. They will make the playoffs regardless, but the way Boston is playing no way we can win no matter what. You just have to be realistic.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Beleskey demoted by the Bruins and they take off. Wonder if we see something similar if Komarov went to the 4th line and Polak scratched?

Every single forward on our roster is miles ahead of what Beleskey was for Boston.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Polak won't be scratching wax, no way. We have rieylly and zaitsev out, so polak is our 3rd d-guy right now, right after hainsey and gardiner. So tha'ts retty great.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Leafs should probably sell. They will make the playoffs regardless, but the way Boston is playing no way we can win no matter what. You just have to be realistic.

Let's teach Matthews to quit even before the dance starts...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm sure Tarasenko is crying about Shattenkirk as a UFA being flipped for assets that later turned into a longterm better asset in Schenn

Shattenkirk wasn't what the Blues needed...they were solid on D, and already had Parayko and Pietrangelo...tell me who is ready to fill in for JVR and Bozak, and what do you think we could get for them at the trade deadline? Certainly not the package Shattenkirk got. And if we are so desperate for goals, why would we even trade JVR? He's one of our best goal scorers and is technically our own rental if we don't trade him.

I'm sure Lou is eager to give his own team and coach the middle finger after they fought an entire season to make it into the playoffs...really great example for the kids too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Every single forward on our roster is miles ahead of what Beleskey was for Boston.

Polak won't be scratching wax, no way. We have rieylly and zaitsev out, so polak is our 3rd d-guy right now, right after hainsey and gardiner. So tha'ts retty great.

Not saying anything about our roster other then someone like Polak should be scratched and if Komarov was slotted properly (on the 4th line) then maybe the team would be able to go on a bit of a run. Obviously we have our injuries on defense but even when healthy I feel like we're tying one hand behind our backs in games each night because we're not sending out an optimal line up.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Shattenkirk wasn't what the Blues needed...they were solid on D, and already had Parayko and Pietrangelo...tell me who is ready to fill in for JVR and Bozak, and what do you think we could get for them at the trade deadline? Certainly not the package Shattenkirk got. And if we are so desperate for goals, why would we even trade JVR? He's one of our best goal scorers and is technically our own rental if we don't trade him.

I'm sure Lou is eager to give his own team and coach the middle finger after they fought an entire season to make it into the playoffs...really great example for the kids too.

Dude, you're wasting your time.

We have two playoff camps and I think both are pretty entrenched.

Camp1:

Leafs are not good enough to do anything so sell sell sell and use the assets for the future. They believe Matthews and the kids (and the Vets for that matter) will see that they have no chance of doing anything and will not mind. There is a sub section of this group that thinks we will be better without JVR, Bozak, Polak and Komo.

Camp2:

Wants a chance in the playoffs, does not want to pull the rug out from under the kids and think the assets that could be traded (all our pending UFA's) are worth it for the improved playoff chances and the possibility that additional playoff experience could be gained. This camp also worries about the message that being sellers sends to our group.

The problem is you do not know which is right or wrong and may never.

We could keep the guys and win the Cup. We could trade the guys and win the Cup. Or either scenario and get to round 2 or 3.

Conversely you could trade everyone and the picks could all be busts.

I'm in Camp 2. I know Boston and Tampa look scary but so did Washington last year and we gave them a go. On paper we are a better team this year than last. I also do not discount the team improving over the remainder of this season. I could be wrong though, we could get swept in four and then keeping those guys will have been a mistake (unless we extend some of them).

I'm not going to disrespect Camp1 though, they could totally be right, but we won't know until we see what happens. Pretty sure if we made it to the Conference final guys would still complain we did not trade JVR but some fans are designed to always be unhappy.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
It doesn't matter what you do thats why you just need to sit back and enjoy hockey. Either way if we don't win the cup this year people are going to say it was the wrong pathway. The future looks bright with our guys or with the next guys.... We have Matthews, marner and nylander, a couple defence away from a decent team, and Andersen.... Our management aint bad either so lets just relax

Reactions: meefer and canadon

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Between now and the playoffs the Bruins will go on a losing streak in regulation, because there is no way they can keep up this streak of points in each game they play.

member 262271

we play them 3 times in march and once in april. we would have completed the season series with carolina, rangers, flyers, bruins, all the west teams besides winnipeg, dallas and nashville, as well as the capitals, blue jackets and sens before playing the sabres.
Madness. I'd complain some more about how some games against the Sabres would help at this point but who godamn knows anymore.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Madness. I'd complain some more about how some games against the Sabres would help at this point but who godamn knows anymore.
By the time they play the Sabres it will be after the trade deadline and who knows what their roster will look like. We can only hope they don't get up for the games, especially the ones in Buffalo when the Leafs fans take over their arena.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad