Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Valimaki's a beauty.

http://whl.ca/video/highlights-americans-3-at-chiefs-2-so

He had some really nice passes last night as well. Had a primary assist on the first goal and was credited with the second assist because the CHL has weird scorekeeping. I also read on twitter he should've had an assist on their gamewinner but no assists were given.

He's taking 4 shots/game which is awesome. I really like the way he's playing, he wasn't talked about much on this board before the draft because I think the assumption was that he'd be gone by our pick.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
he wasn't talked about much on this board before the draft because I think the assumption was that he'd be gone by our pick.

He was a lock to go to the Jets before they made their expansion trade I think. I also thought he might have had an outside chance of going to Buffalo as well.

Thank god Vegas picked Brannstrom, don't know what they were thinking on that one. He's good but not special and you have to be awful special to succeed as a small d-man.

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
David Rittich's four AHL starts this year have been wins, and two shutouts. Pretty impressive.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jeeze I’m glad we didn’t end up with Lias Andersson. Valimaki looks like a way better pick and Lias Andersson is trending like a pretty average pick. Pretty big reach by the Rangers and it looking as though they might regret the pick.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Jeeze I’m glad we didn’t end up with Lias Andersson. Valimaki looks like a way better pick and Lias Andersson is trending like a pretty average pick. Pretty big reach by the Rangers and it looking as though they might regret the pick.
After two months of hockey post-draft?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
After two months of hockey post-draft?

The knock on him before the draft was his ceiling. He was a safe player and will probably play at some point. But he had a ton of hype after being taken so early, when many other excellent players were still on board and the Rangers moved Stepan for him. So that’s a lot of pressure that he pans out. He been being used as a depth player in Sweden and has kinda struggled. It’s obviously early, but as a Flames fan considering he was on some mock drafts for us, I’m ecstatic that we got Valimaki.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The knock on him before the draft was his ceiling. He was a safe player and will probably play at some point. But he had a ton of hype after being taken so early, when many other excellent players were still on board and the Rangers moved Stepan for him. So that’s a lot of pressure that he pans out. He been being used as a depth player in Sweden and has kinda struggled. It’s obviously early, but as a Flames fan considering he was on some mock drafts for us, I’m ecstatic that we got Valimaki.
It does seem a little early to be drawing those kinds of conclusions. People were doing that with Draisaitl and Bennett towards the end of their draft+1 years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It does seem a little early to be drawing those kinds of conclusions. People were doing that with Draisaitl and Bennett towards the end of their draft+1 years.

There is reason for concern. Usually you would expect more from a top 10 pick. It’s not as if he’s struggling in the NHL. Still a nice prospect, but the Rangers might be really kicking themselves down the road.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There is reason for concern. Usually you would expect more from a top 10 pick. It’s not as if he’s struggling in the NHL. Still a nice prospect, but the Rangers might be really kicking themselves down the road.

No, but it's usually pretty difficult to evaluate players in European leagues. Plenty of players are playing against men there before they're really ready to, and that holds their skills back from really flourishing until the physical capability is there.

I don't think there's really anything that could be going on at this point in time, in November 2017, that could truly be a cause for concern. There may have been pre-existing causes for concern that would cause one to look at him with heavy confirmation bias and try to draw conclusions, but if you knew nothing about the player going in, you wouldn't say "man, his production in the SHL is really concerning after two months post-draft."

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, but it's usually pretty difficult to evaluate players in European leagues. Plenty of players are playing against men there before they're really ready to, and that holds their skills back from really flourishing until the physical capability is there.

I don't think there's really anything that could be going on at this point in time, in November 2017, that could truly be a cause for concern. There may have been pre-existing causes for concern that would cause one to look at him with heavy confirmation bias and try to draw conclusions, but if you knew nothing about the player going in, you wouldn't say "man, his production in the SHL is really concerning after two months post-draft."

We will see. I’ll just say that this was a really good first round. Mittelstadt was taken right after Andersson and Tippett shortly after that. Andersson is a nice prospect no doubt, but I think the you should be landing a higher caliber prospect at that spot.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s typical of Swedes to be underrated as they play against pro hockey players. Put Lias in the CHL and he too would have gaudy offensive #s.

New York’s scouts are generally amazing when they actually make their picks. I would hesitate to criticize them about a draft pick after 12 games.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I agree with that. Pettersens production in alsvenskan for an under age player was pretty special. I always viewed him as a top prospect in this draft.

Don’t count out Andersson though. He was an absolute monster in the world junior summer showcase.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well it’s clear Pettersson is in another tier of prospect. He’s destroying the SEL.
Well, perhaps yes, but New York couldn't pick Pettersson.

Also, because I'm a man of principle, I would once again have to disagree that that means unequivocally that Pettersson is in another tier of prospect. It just means he's more developed at this point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well, perhaps yes, but New York couldn't pick Pettersson.

Also, because I'm a man of principle, I would once again have to disagree that that means unequivocally that Pettersson is in another tier of prospect. It just means he's more developed at this point.

I Pettersson up only because he’s playing in the same league and is actually producing at a high rate.

Pettersson is actually less developed than Andersson, though. Andersson is already built like a man, Pettersson looks like Gaudreau did when he was drafted he was just taller but he’s just a special player. Pettersson has a special set of tools that Andersson does not and will never have. I think Pettersson is a better prospect than Hischier, so that should tell you what I think of him. If he pans out to his potential, he’ll be the best player in last years draft.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So I had a dream where I met Treliving and asked him who he wanted to pick with our 1st pick (Aka 3rd rounder) in 2018. He said Dominik Bokk and that Bokk was on his radar even before he traded for Hamonic, because he felt the Flames were in win-now mode and Bokk's hidden potential meant he was still probably going to be available in the 3rd round in such a deep draft. But he says how Bokk has played since then he's worried Bokk will be long gone before the Flames pick haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad