Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"Ferland was a scorer" - the person who drafted Ferland
"Ferland wasn't drafted to be a scorer" - person on a message board
Face facts, if Ferland wasn't a physical guy who was also a face puncher, they never would have taken him based on being "a scorer in midget".

Last edited by a moderator:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
"Ferland was a scorer" - the person who drafted Ferland
"Ferland wasn't drafted to be a scorer" - person on a message board

When Ferland was drafted he scored 23 goals that year. It wasn't until the next season he exploded. When exactly was the quote you were referring to from? Because it definitely sounds like it's revisionist.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When Ferland was drafted he scored 23 goals that year. It wasn't until the next season he exploded. When exactly was the quote you were referring to from? Because it definitely sounds like it's revisionist.
the quote was about him being a scorer in bantam. Let's be honest, most of these guys were scorers in bantam :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
and even then, he wasn't that much of a scorer. He had the one really good year when he played with Mark Stone during his 40g/80a season and several strong offensive defensemen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat won 4-2 tonight. Foo scored his first pro goal. Klimchuk got his first of the year on and EN with Jankowski netting the winner. Cramarossa had the other goal. Gillies stopped 29 of 31 for the win. This is the first of 3 games in a row against the Gulls, they play again tomorrow and Wednesday (iirc)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tyler Parsons got blown up in his second pro start. He went the distance in an 8-2 loss to Fort Wayne.

kfjjagr

Betting on NHL and AHL hockey!
Sep 24, 2011
Denmark
twitter.com
Heat won 4-2 tonight. Foo scored his first pro goal. Klimchuk got his first of the year on and EN with Jankowski netting the winner. Cramarossa had the other goal. Gillies stopped 29 of 31 for the win. This is the first of 3 games in a row against the Gulls, they play again tomorrow and Wednesday (iirc)

Will Gillies play back-to-back ?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/future-watch-update---231017/c-292190558
Dillon Dube - Center - Kelowna Rockets
4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points in 10 games

Matthew Phillips - Right Wing - Victoria Royals
11 goals, 17 assists, 28 points in 13 games

Juuso Valimaki - Defence - Tri-City Americans
2 goals, 5 assists, 7 points in 7 games

Adam Ruzicka - Centre - Sarnia Sting
10 goals, 10 assists, 20 points in 13 games

Pavel Karnaukhov - Centre - Zvezda Chekhov (VHL)
6 goals, 8 assists, 14 points in 10 games

Filip Sveningsson - Left Wing - HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
7 goals, 7 assists, 14 points in 12 games

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Dube is much faster and more well rounded. I still don’t see “it” when I watch Phillips. I think he will have trouble translating to the next level but he definitely deserves a pro contract.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Legit question, what makes Dube so much more NHL ready than Phillips yet Phillips is destroying CHL competition while Dube is simply doing good?

Dube, as said, is pretty well rounded while Phillips is all offense. Phillips is also about 5'6 and 140 lbs at best.

I do find it hilarious that Phillips is destroying the WHL though, even though I think he'll never play an NHL game. People said Gaudreau was too small, no, Phillips is too small. Gaudreau is small, but he isn't that small, Phillips has the body of a Jr. High student. I would definitely sign Phillips to a contract and see what he can do in the AHL and I would love for him to make the big team, but I just don't see it at all.

Also really happy with Ruzicka; pre-draft his main weakness was consistency and this year he's got points in pretty much all the games sans 2 (I believe). Big body who actually uses it to shield the puck, and has decent hands. Could be another 4th round steal for the Flames in 3-4 years. And though he gets a lot of PP points, he is already a +14 whereas last year he was a -15. So far is he having the exact D+1 year you want a prospect to have, very encouraging. 6'4 215 lbs. If (I said if) he takes Backlund's spot in 4 years, center depth could be Monahan(6'3)-Janko(6'4)-Ruzicka (6'4).

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Dube, as said, is pretty well rounded while Phillips is all offense. Phillips is also about 5'6 and 140 lbs at best.

I do find it hilarious that Phillips is destroying the WHL though, even though I think he'll never play an NHL game. People said Gaudreau was too small, no, Phillips is too small. Gaudreau is small, but he isn't that small, Phillips has the body of a Jr. High student. I would definitely sign Phillips to a contract and see what he can do in the AHL and I would love for him to make the big team, but I just don't see it at all.

Also really happy with Ruzicka; pre-draft his main weakness was consistency and this year he's got points in pretty much all the games sans 2 (I believe). Big body who actually uses it to shield the puck, and has decent hands. Could be another 4th round steal for the Flames in 3-4 years. And though he gets a lot of PP points, he is already a +14 whereas last year he was a -15. So far is he having the exact D+1 year you want a prospect to have, very encouraging. 6'4 215 lbs. If (I said if) he takes Backlund's spot in 4 years, center depth could be Monahan(6'3)-Janko(6'4)-Ruzicka (6'4).

I hope Phillips can prove doubters wrong. Would love him to be a Flame. That being said the fact Phillips is our best RHS forward prospect is concerning for us...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Legit question, what makes Dube so much more NHL ready than Phillips yet Phillips is destroying CHL competition while Dube is simply doing good?

I'd be more than happy to see Phillips succeed for us, however the chance of Dube being a top 9 forward versus Phillips being a top nine guy is drastically different. As discussed, Phillips has his size working against him. Dube can at least still be an energy guy who can play a two way game, not too dissimilar to Frolik but with a little more bang to his game.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Stockton went down 3-0 to San Diego tonight but they've stormed back and now it's 3-3 heading into OT!

Kylington with 2A, Eat Bread with 1G 1A

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Stockton went down 3-0 to San Diego tonight but they've stormed back and now it's 3-3 heading into OT!

Kylington with 2A, Eat Bread with 1G 1A
Mangiapane is leading the AHL in scoring now with 12 points in 7 games. Andersson also scored tonight. Klimchuk is also turning it on as of late.

Quiet night in the WHL Phillips with one assist and I think 3 shots in a loss and Valimaki with two PP assists and 3 shots in a win. Fischer scored.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think Mangiapane is gonna get a look soon.

I'd be surprised, I don't know who he replaces for us and they probably would rather he slays the AHL than eats popcorn for us.

That being said I totally agree that he's ready, probably was at the start of this season too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad