2017-18 stats and underlying metrics thread [Mod: updated season]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
For the record, I have said a couple of times on this board that I believe the reason for Scheif's lower corsi this year is because he is dragging around Wheeler who is having one of his classic slow starts (albeit with points this year thanks to Scheif) and not because he is waiting for better opportunities.

Here is Scheifele's shot chart from the 15-16 season where he had a very good CF% and a much higher rate of individual corsi attempts. It doesn't really look all that different in terms of shot location than it does for this season that you posted above. This should further raise doubts about the "Scheifele is becoming an anti- Corsi player" narrative

JxdGYnl.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do the Jets' tend to concentrate their shot attempts to the center of the ice?

Do they tend to force opponents to take more shots from the edges and points?

WPG

WPG

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Jets have been moving to the right direction slowly but surely. Good to see but still a long way to go, especially in the CF department

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am not a stats guy. I read on the post game thread that in the last 6 games we are top 10 in both RAW and Score close corsi and that the underlying numbers continuing to trend in the right direction. To me this looks like team performance in the standings is a future predictor of Corsi, not Corsi being a future predictor of performance. Am I wrong and has this been looked at?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I am not a stats guy. I read on the post game thread that in the last 6 games we are top 10 in both RAW and Score close corsi and that the underlying numbers continuing to trend in the right direction. To me this looks like team performance in the standings is a future predictor of Corsi, not Corsi being a future predictor of performance. Am I wrong and has this been looked at?

Wrong correlation. Our numbers for our bottom 6 have improved drastically with Lowry and Perreault back from injury. The Hendricks line is kicking ass with 4th line Jesus

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Is the Jets win-loss record is causing the team to outshoot and outchance their opponents more? Do wet streets cause rain? :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
lowryad93

lowryad93

#AdamForSelke... if he had the offense.
Jets have plenty of offense. What Lowry brings is a presence that can keep the Jets' top lines away from some tough match-ups. He's a valuable player in a lot of ways.

Lowry's relxGF% is second on the Jets, trailing only..... Matt Hendricks???

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

Jets have been moving to the right direction slowly but surely. Good to see but still a long way to go, especially in the CF department

I'm not sure if Tierny uses all-situations numbers or not but its interesting to me that Corsica has the Jets moving further over to the Dull quadrant while McCurdy's (5on5) has us moving more over to the Fun side of things haha.

upload_2017-11-28_13-38-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-28_13-37-54.png
    upload_2017-11-28_13-37-54.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 1

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Is the Jets win-loss record is causing the team to outshoot and outchance their opponents more? Do wet streets cause rain? :sarcasm:
So, stats wise why has the team's performance in the standings not been regressing as the stats predicted? And in fact, the performance has been consistently good and now it is the stats that have been improving to come into correlation with the performance. The streets don't cause rain, but if you go to sleep and all the streets are dry, and you wake up and all the streets are wet, there is a good chance that it rained.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
So, stats wise why has the team's performance in the standings not been regressing as the stats predicted?

Because stats can only predict the future with certain probabilities, and those 5v5 stats most people are looking at don't predict special teams and goaltending, which we've been good at.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The streets don't cause rain, but if you go to sleep and all the streets are dry, and you wake up and all the streets are wet, there is a good chance that it rained.

Or, you know ... incontinence. ;)

Personally, I'm happy that certain things are trending in a more 'sustainable' direction in some key metrics. I was always happy with the points, but uneasy about when things might go sideways - recent trends make me a happy Jets fan on both fronts. :nod:

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Jets have also been very good 5 on 5 for the last month using GF% as a metric - 62.96%. The Jets played great 5 on 5 contrary to what 5 on 5 corsi suggested / predicted. Corsi just doesn't have much use over small sample sizes. Even a whole season can be a small sample size for corsi...

Because stats can only predict the future with certain probabilities, and those 5v5 stats most people are looking at don't predict special teams and goaltending, which we've been good at.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, stats wise why has the team's performance in the standings not been regressing as the stats predicted? And in fact, the performance has been consistently good and now it is the stats that have been improving to come into correlation with the performance. The streets don't cause rain, but if you go to sleep and all the streets are dry, and you wake up and all the streets are wet, there is a good chance that it rained.
Stats are improving because Scheifele's line is improving in shot metrics and the bottom 6 has solidified. The two go together somewhat because the Lowry line absorbs some tough matchups instead of Scheifele.

Interesting that the bottom 6 seems pretty good without Petan and Dano.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets have also been very good 5 on 5 for the last month using GF% as a metric - 62.96%. The Jets played great 5 on 5 contrary to what 5 on 5 corsi suggested / predicted. Corsi just doesn't have much use over small sample sizes. Even a whole season can be a small sample size for corsi...
The primary reason for using shot metrics is because goals are relatively rare events and so they're not very useful for predicting the future. You need a sufficiently large sample so you can more easily separate the signal from the noise...and that's why people pay attention to shot attempts (Corsi). Add in things like shot distance, shot type, shooter skill, etc. and you get an even better measure (xG).

I'm not sure why some people are so hostile to the concept that there's a real relationship between goal scoring and outshooting/outchancing your opponents. :dunno:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The primary reason for using shot metrics is because goals are relatively rare events and so they're not very useful for predicting the future. You need a sufficiently large sample so you can more easily separate the signal from the noise...and that's why people pay attention to shot attempts (Corsi). Add in things like shot distance, shot type, shooter skill, etc. and you get an even better measure (xG).

I'm not sure why some people are so hostile to the concept that there's a real relationship between goal scoring and outshooting/outchancing your opponents. :dunno:
I think it's because outshooting doesn't directly translate into "outchancing" opponents, and neither have a particularly strong predictive correlation with outscoring opponents. Yes, they are correlated, but there is a lot of "luck" and other unmeasured factors (talent?) that explain a greater proportion of the variance in outcomes than shot metrics by themselves. I expect that all the analytics folks working for various NHL teams are hard at work trying to come up with better parameters and better models to try to explain more of the variance in outcomes (goal share and wins).

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Saying that it is not very useful with small sample sizes is not being "hostile to the concept".

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

One example is not a trend.
A trend is not the entire population.

The trend is the opposite way as you pointed out, but the trend is not representative of every situation.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Saying that it is not very useful with small sample sizes is not being "hostile to the concept".
Taken on its own perhaps not, but you've been consistently mocking the idea that Corsi has any value for months, so I think it's safe to put you in the "hostile to the concept" group. ;)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Stats are a useful tool for sure but Chayka probably answers the question on them the best

"The more you are in this game you realize the analytics argument is foolish. This is an information game. Decisions on character and other things are hard to quantify, but they matter." Chayka #Coyotes

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stats are a useful tool for sure but Chayka probably answers the question on them the best

"The more you are in this game you realize the analytics argument is foolish. This is an information game. Decisions on character and other things are hard to quantify, but they matter." Chayka #Coyotes
I guess he's had his "Anthony DeAngelo moment"...:naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like it when the Jets dominant the shot metrics and still have a high shooting percentage.

WPG

This is how you do that....

shotLoc-2017020365-WPG-EV.png

Reactions: Jimby

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jets rolling 5 game Corsi For % looking great lately:

C5FSe7O.png

So much for the "Corsi is not relevant to the Jets because of selective shooting" argument. ;)

If this keeps up and the Scheifele line can be consistent, the 2nd line figure out whatever is going on with them, and something is done about that PK then this could be a pretty special team

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets rolling 5 game Corsi For % looking great lately:

C5FSe7O.png

So much for the "Corsi is not relevant to the Jets because of selective shooting" argument. ;)

If this keeps up and the Scheifele line can be consistent, the 2nd line figure out whatever is going on with them, and something is done about that PK then this could be a pretty special team

You continue to ignore score effects. Jets have been one of the top teams in the "get a big lead and cruise" category. That is generally associated with lower CF% and higher shooting percentage. They have had a few games lately where they have started from behind, or in close games. Even against the Wild they started off behind, and then cruised past them with a dominating performance.

Scheifele is still a "selective" shooter. Wheeler isn't.

Much of the improvement in shot metrics is the turnaround of the Scheifele line, which I think is partly due to better match-ups now that Lowry is back and his line is absorbing more tough match-ups.

Yes, the Jets are a good team. I'm glad that Corsi is now convincing some folks of that fact.

Jets are still shooting pretty well, even with high Corsi...

WPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad