2017-18 stats and underlying metrics thread [Mod: updated season]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The Avs game was like frustrating Jets of years past. Win the Corsi and lose the Scorsi. So far this year Corsi has been inversely related to Jets performance. I hope that doesn't continue now that our Corsi has come up so much.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Perhaps the biggest contributors to the corsi turnaround have been Copp and Tanev whose ICF/60 doubled in the last 9 games and Armia who saw his going up 50%.

Jets rolling 5 game Corsi For % looking great lately:

C5FSe7O.png

So much for the "Corsi is not relevant to the Jets because of selective shooting" argument. ;)

If this keeps up and the Scheifele line can be consistent, the 2nd line figure out whatever is going on with them, and something is done about that PK then this could be a pretty special team

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
The Jets talk about being defensively responsible first appears to show up in the corsi as well. All centers have the lowest ICF/60 on the team excluding a couple of D and Mathias who is now sitting. To me that says they are thinking more about their defensive responsibilites ahead of generating offence.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Jets talk about being defensively responsible first appears to show up in the corsi as well. All centers have the lowest ICF/60 on the team excluding a couple of D and Mathias who is now sitting. To me that says they are thinking more about their defensive responsibilites ahead of generating offence.
It shows when you watch them play, glaringly obvious in fact.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Garret may have corrected it since you read it as it now reads "three losses in six games prior to Friday's win over the Golden Knights"

Overall a good article!

Look who just published an article at the Athletic? And Jets related too.
IMG_0208.jpg

A closer look at Corsi, how much it matters, and what it...

The article's conclusion claims the Jets have 3 losses in the last 4 games (record is 2-1-1 actually) Not sure where that come from but maybe just a typo?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

You're a typo. :P

Good article, Garret. I consider myself very open to metrics, but I feel like it's accelerating faster than I can keep up. I'm comfortable with corsi and shot differentials, but then the entire practice spun off into finer pieces. I'm only now coming to terms with xG, but it seems like they're advancing faster than I can keep up with. Nowadays, my eyes just kind of glaze over when discussing the quantification of on-ice events. I'm glad you kept the article simple for us philistines.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I mentioned in passing that wins had slowed down a bit at one point over rolling 6 game stretches.
I guess that was before tonight... ;)

GF:GA 25:14 in the past 6 games... 4-1-1

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess that was before tonight... ;)

GF:GA 25:14 in the past 6 games... 4-1-1

The Jets the last 13 games not including tonight (half the season so far) are top 10 in raw and score adjusted corsi, are we still actually putting any stock in the first 13 game sample in this regard? i think it was a clear case of a rough start and a very young and inexperienced team (with the lead) going through growing pains learning how to play with the lead.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets the last 13 games not including tonight (half the season so far) are top 10 in raw and score adjusted corsi, are we still actually putting any stock in the first 13 game sample in this regard? i think it was a clear case of a rough start and a very young and inexperienced team (with the lead) going through growing pains learning how to play with the lead.
I also think they were a bit shell-shocked by the first couple of games, and responded with a pretty conservative style of game. They've really found their stride 5v5 (and on the PP). If they can keep their penalties down and improve the PK, they are going to remain good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I also think they were a bit shell-shocked by the first couple of games, and responded with a pretty conservative style of game. They've really found their stride 5v5 (and on the PP). If they can keep their penalties down and improve the PK, they are going to remain good.

They most certainly where a bit shell shocked, but they seem to be playing to their capabilities in most regards now. fix the PK and watch out.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This game against the Sens was the 3rd biggest Corsi win ( behind this and this game) and best 5 on 5 shots on net differential game in Jets 2.0 history. Maybe they read @garret9 's article this morning :sarcasm:

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
The effect Perreault has had on his forward linemates has been pointed out around here lately but I think more could be said about what his and Lowry's return have done for the bottom pair. Myers/Kulikov were bleeding shots early in the year and really benfitting from a high on-ice save percentage. After last nights game that pair is positive (Or maybe Even but still..) in 5 on 5 shots for the year and really the bottom half of the roster in general has really been feasting on other teams.

Also this :P

Attachments

• bottom pair.png
    bottom pair.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 6

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Now that the Jets are up to 49.5% Adjusted-5-on-5 CF% do we chalk up the early-season PDO Lost Weekend to fun with small sample sizes?

Ehlers is too small to play defence in the West.

Well, that's kind of the point of PDO... that it was a small sample size and the Jets would need to start outshooting since it was unlikely to last.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Well, that's kind of the point of PDO... that it was a small sample size and the Jets would need to start outshooting since it was unlikely to last.

Yes, the shooting and save rates were an even smaller sample size--hence the importance of shot rates--but all of it was sufficiently small that I feel it was unrealistic to expect the PDO to regress to the mean but that the Jets' awful shot rates were just 'who they were'. Indeed the latter notion seems to have persisted while the opposite is true given that they're back to the middle of the table:

Wheeler and Scheifele are still in the red, but I think something is going on there, just as I wonder if there's something about Maurice that encourages slow starts. (Maybe he introduces some parts of new systems before the season and waits a few games before adding others--I don't know...)

Anyhow, not bad contender company, considering the Jets are pretenders :sarcasm::

aGkvr9x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->