2017-18 stats and underlying metrics thread [Mod: updated season]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It's no secret that I have talked to *members* of the Jets organizations. I've had solid conversations with some of these, and have heard good things about other members of the organization (supposedly Larry Simmons is really smart and actively looking to improve things in many areas).
I know that Maurice is interested in things from a team level perspective.

Now, the real question is about HOW one uses statistics and, most importantly, how do they attack situations where their own notions are counter to what statistics may indicate.

Another question is how do they deal with things that may be more explanative than predictive.

A coach would probably like analytics to help figure out "why" a players performance is the way it is. Certainly talent is a big part of the story but it's also a game with a lot of "habits" Do some players have "habits " that can be easily changed that can help them show improvements on the ice. Can he get more out of the current talent pool simply by designing a drill for a particular player?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
My guess for all of those questions is "poorly," based partly on who they sign and how they arrange the roster, and partly on me thinking they're pretty close to neanderthal.

I have no idea really... There's a lot of confounding variables in evaluating non-players.
Judging coaching/GM/scout/etc. impact with eliminating the impact of the others is more guesswork than science, IMO.

A coach would probably like analytics to help figure out "why" a players performance is the way it is. Certainly talent is a big part of the story but it's also a game with a lot of "habits" Do some players have "habits " that can be easily changed that can help them show improvements on the ice. Can he get more out of the current talent pool simply by designing a drill for a particular player?

That does seem to be the tendency I've seen from most coaches.
They either want one or both of two things:
  1. specific numbers tracked for things they view as important (ex: giveaways, shift length, etc.)
  2. tendencies for developmental coaching

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Almost on queue the Athletic releases an article on how the Blue Jackets use analytics. It's been rumoured the Jets also use Sportslogiq BTW

For those who have access it's a good read

Numbers Game: How the Blue Jackets make analytics part of...

“Does a hockey team use analytics?”
It’s a question that gets bandied about quite a bit these days. But the reality is the answer is rarely a simple “yes” or “no.” Building a successful hockey organization that succeeds not only game-to-game, but also season-to-season, requires minds evaluating players and performance at more than a few levels, with different types of data against a few different timelines.
What a general manager might look at is not necessarily what a player looks at or what a coach works on in practice. Nor should it be.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and Jimby

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Derp.. Don't know how to embed a tweet any more :P

Just Dellow saying he'd look to improve xG by looking at pre-shot player and pass locations.

That was my guess for what the Jets are doing for in-house xG.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The way the Jets have been playing recently, I wonder if Maurice is over-thinking things. Perhaps they are focusing excessively on the quality of shots, and it's messed them up. They just seem so conservative defensively, and they are not nearly aggressive enough in terms of getting pucks and players to the net, seeming to always look for a higher quality chance. Maybe they need to get back to their 2014/15 form, which was high pressure all over the ice.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
During the last 5 games, the Jets managed to be above 50% Corsi just once. This 5 game stretch includes a game against Vegas and 2 games against bottom-feeders Coyotes. Even tonight when they had score effects in their favor the entire game they failed to out-corsi the Flyers. I am happy with the points and there have been some good efforts by the Jets but at some point they have to start winning the shot battle if they wish to be a serious force in the playoffs. How the coaching staff is asking them to play is the biggest thing holding this team back from being a true contender in my view. I think some line juggling is in order

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
On the positive side these last 5 games were the Jets best 5-game block PK wise in terms of shot attempts conceded. They ended this 5 game block with FA/60 of 80.12, much better than their last best block of 5. They've been a 18-23 type PK in these last 5 games as opposed to dead last and historically bad PK in most of their other 5 game blocks. Granted that they faced Vegas and the Yotes in this block but I will take this as a positive. Whether this was a flash in the pan or a sign of the PK turning things around remains to be seen.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
DO2C99XUQAAR5wm.jpg

Thoughts:
1) Expected PDO given shot quality (red) more stable (duh)
2) Actual PDO (blue) is not as stable (duh)
3) The difference (purple) mostly driven by (red) (duh)
4) (Only surprise) Red/Purple oddly pattern like...

The pattern disappears though when you separate the purple into shooting and save percentage (relative to expectations) components:

DO2LGziVAAAqftu.jpg

This looks like a negative correlation, but there isn't much (-0.14 r, 0.02 rsq)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
During the last 5 games, the Jets managed to be above 50% Corsi just once. This 5 game stretch includes a game against Vegas and 2 games against bottom-feeders Coyotes. Even tonight when they had score effects in their favor the entire game they failed to out-corsi the Flyers. I am happy with the points and there have been some good efforts by the Jets but at some point they have to start winning the shot battle if they wish to be a serious force in the playoffs. How the coaching staff is asking them to play is the biggest thing holding this team back from being a true contender in my view. I think some line juggling is in order
I'm pretty sure that most teams and and analysts have moved past Corsi as the dominant way of looking at performance.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure that most teams and and analysts have moved past Corsi as the dominant way of looking at performance.
Please point out one metric to me which makes the Jets look good. I don't care what teams have moved on to, fact remains that Corsi is one of the best publicly available metrics we have and despite its flaws it is good enough.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Please point out one metric to me which makes the Jets look good. I don't care what teams have moved on to, fact remains that Corsi is one of the best publicly available metrics we have and despite its flaws it is good enough.

11-4-3 (the one that matters most of all)

+10GD (contributes a lot to above)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good enough for what?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Wins vs losses and goal differential seem to be metrics which make the Jets look good.

Yes, but there is still cause for concern because both those things are less predictive of wins vs losses and goal differential for remainder of season than Corsi, something the Jets struggle in, is.

That said, a segment from my rant on Twitter today:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Wins vs losses and goal differential seem to be metrics which make the Jets look good.
They're descriptive, not predictive. They're nice, granted, and I'm enjoying the run, but I do appreciate the analysis in here as to what might be going on, and the likelihood of it continuing.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes, but there is still cause for concern because both those things are less predictive of wins vs losses and goal differential for remainder of season than Corsi, something the Jets struggle in, is.

That said, a segment from my rant on Twitter today:

Was anyone saying there is no cause for concern? Someone asked to post one metric that makes the Jets look good. The ones posted do just that.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Sorry for the entry-level question here, when people say Corsi is more predictive than wins/GD, how predictive are we talkin? It strikes me that it can't be all that predictive because gamblers would be having a field day.

If a team has elite Corsi stats (i.e. they are number 1 in the league) what is the probability that they are in the top 16 teams at the end of the season? Is that question answerable?

Reactions: Skidooboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad