Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And he's usually justified in doing so. Most of the time the high priced FAs are overpaid and underperform. I'm sure he knows we need a 1C bad and Tavares is an elite 1C, and those just about never go to FA at all, much less in their prime years. To aquire someone like Tavares for just salary cap would be a huge win and I doubt DW is dumb enough to see it any other way.

This isn't paying lucic stupid money, Erikson stupid money, or anything like that. This is a legit franchise player potentially available that you break out a blank check for and we have the cap to do so. We'd instantly be a serious contender with Tavares instead of a hopeful.

I agree that Tavares would be one to do it with but I believe that he will still be on the lower end of offers in comparison just because of that mindset and tendency. He is certainly justified mostly in that mindset but it does have its down sides. In order to sign Tavares, he may need to pay near 15 mil per year to truly compete and that's a lot of money even for a legit superstar like Tavares.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
From Kevin Kurz's latest article on the Athletic.

I do believe Thornton was closer to signing with Toronto last summer than many people realize — something I picked up on last week during that road trip.

I wish he would elaborate on that, but I guess he can't.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The sharks average age this year is 27.9.

Average height 72.9 inches.

Average weight 201.7lbs

Average draft pick 103

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
According to Kurz' latest piece, Burns/Dillon is staying together and DeBoer thinks they've been "good"

That means Brent Burns and Brenden Dillon, who seemed particularly out of sync for most of the trip — each posted a minus-6 rating — were still together for practice.
Of the 12 even-strength regulation goals the Sharks gave up on the trip, Burns and Dillon were on the ice as a pair for eight of them. That’s despite each of them starting a large majority of their faceoffs in the offensive zone. (Burns posted an offensive-zone start percentage of 71.7 over the five-game span, while Dillon was at 69.4.)

DeBoer, who put Burns and Dillon together on Nov. 25 and has kept them together for all but one-and-a-half periods on Dec. 7, said on Friday that “overall, they’ve been good.”

“You’re looking at plus and minuses, and stats, and things like that — I don’t have a problem with that pair,” DeBoer said.

Burns and Dillon remain together; Sharks 'need more...

yeah.......

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I’m surprised they would be at this point without getting him in a game recently. Although I saw that didn’t look good with the Barracuda.

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Paul Martin is done, he could barely compete against AHLers in the one game I saw him with the Cuda last month.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Paul Martin sucks now. It's unfortunate, but there's no way Ryan/Heed or even DeMelo should be sitting for Martin to play. I hope they are able to send him to a contender for a pick.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Don't even see how you could say Martin sucks now. Obvious rust but we haven't really seen him healthy this year and he was fine the last two seasons.
Weird that they wouldn't even give him an extended chance to get up to speed.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Don't even see how you could say Martin sucks now. Obvious rust but we haven't really seen him healthy this year and he was fine the last two seasons.
Weird that they wouldn't even give him an extended chance to get up to speed.

Good point...

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ryan is the Sharks second best LHD, arguably their best. Martin was never gonna play over Vlasic and Dillon has youth and toughness. If Joakim Ryan wasn’t playing so well maybe they’d give Martin a chance, but that’s not how things have played out. On top of that, they’ve also experimented with Demelo on both sides and he’s done pretty well. Demelo has youth and versatility over Martin. So really, they just ran out of room for him. He’s just a casualty of young players coming up and being better while he regresses.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Vlasic hasn't been up to his normal standard this season, but it is kind of funny seeing this board sour on him so badly. I no world is Ryan arguably better than Vlasic.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Vlasic hasn't been up to his normal standard this season, but it is kind of funny seeing this board sour on him so badly. I no world is Ryan arguably better than Vlasic.
It definitely was hyperbole. Probably should have put the sarcasm emoji.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad