Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A Stanley cup winning coach felt Boll was useful if he wasn't injured would be in the lineup. I have a feeling his injury is worse than is reported

You’re contradicting yourself here. That same coach keeps playing Shaw. You can’t appeal to authority while simultaneously criticizing that same authority’s decision to play Shaw.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The problem with that is Manson should never be fighting scrub 4th liners. That's why i'm not opposed to having some type of enforcer in the lineup. However, you can't have someone who's a liability on the ice, and you damn sure can't ice an enforcer who simply doesn't enforce (BOLL). Don't get me wrong, more often than not we should not ice an enforcer but I do think there are teams where it merits having one. If I'm Carlyle I'm sitting Ritchie down and telling him he needs to be more involved physically because he's clearly not earning his keep by offense/skill alone.

Completely agree about pairing Manson with Fowler though. Fowler plays his best when he's paired with someone who's more physical. Really hoping we try Fowler/Manson and Lindholm/Montour.

Roy not playing over Shaw or Rasmussen is a joke. Even on the 4th line.

Agreed 100% about Manson not fighting scrubs that’s a waste of his time and the risk for injury means it’s not worth it.

I disagree about the pairings though. Fowler and Manson have not performed well together this year, both have struggled (outside of Manson having a great 10 game stretch a while ago where he was paired mostly with Lindholm and two games with Vatanen) and haven’t really clicked. Beauchemin Montour is the perfect third pairing and shouldn’t be broken up IMO. I think we need someone bought in specifically to play with Fowler, Bieksa isn’t good enough and we are short a top 4 D. I’m not sure what’s out there but what was an area of strength is now an area where we look vulnerable.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don’t think the issue with Bieksa is just that he isn’t good enough. I genuinely feel like Bieksa is willing to take more risks(ie make more stupid decisions) specifically because Fowler is there backing him up.

It may not be true, and it could be a product of the increased responsibility that comes from the role, but that’s my observation. He seems more willing to make the simple plays when his D partner is less capable.

He’s definitely not good enough, but I think he ends up shooting that pairing in the foot even more just because he tries to play a game that he isn’t capable of. Or, isn’t capable of anymore.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
You’re contradicting yourself here. That same coach keeps playing Shaw. You can’t appeal to authority while simultaneously criticizing that same authority’s decision to play Shaw.
I never said his decisions are perfect but his desire to play an enforcer I obviously agree with and his playoff coaching is light years better than BB

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I never said his decisions are perfect but his desire to play an enforcer I obviously agree with and his playoff coaching is light years better than BB

You missed the point.

Appealing to authority to dismiss someone else’s opinion doesn’t really work when in the very same breath you’re criticizing another decision he’s made. Whether you agree with all of his decisions or not is irrelevant. If he can make mistakes then it’s just as possible playing Boll is a mistake.

Don’t be a hypocrite. Don’t hide behind his decisions when you agree with them. That’s all you did there. “Carlyle agrees with me, so clearly you’re wrong.” That’s effectively what you said.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I've changed my lines again when healthy.

Rakell Getzlaf Perry
Ritchie Henrique Kase
Cogs Kesler Silf
Grant Vermette Wagner

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Grant had a nice game today, but I’m starting to hope he’s not in the lineup when healthy.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Kase
Henrique-Kesler-Perry
Cogliano-Vermette-Silfverberg
Roy-Wagner-Blandisi

let Ritchie work on his game in the AHL for awhile.

Reactions: Trojans86

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
rakell getz kase looked really good. completely dominated possession and will get tons of goals if they can keep it in the offer dive zone the whole time. much better than Perry on that line imo. I wasn't a fan of cogs with henrique. cogs is more suited for a shutdown line that capitalizes on turnovers. henrique is better with more skilled players.

I'd say

rakell - getz - kase
Roy - henrique - silf
Cogs - Vermette - Wagner

and when Perry comes back move cogs with silf and when Kesler is back move Vermette to 4th.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I believe they said during the broadcast of last game that they are aiming for after Christmas

Darn!

My fantasy team is plagued with injuries and was hoping I could activate him!

Thanks for the info, hard to find anything on him except for Murray's comments on November 7th. I was surprised to see the Ducks board doesn't have an injury thread.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Darn!

Thanks for the info, hard to find anything on him except for Murray's comments on November 7th. I was surprised to see the Ducks board doesn't have an injury thread.
We do have one, in the sticky threads

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I disagree about the pairings though. Fowler and Manson have not performed well together this year, both have struggled (outside of Manson having a great 10 game stretch a while ago where he was paired mostly with Lindholm and two games with Vatanen) and haven’t really clicked. Beauchemin Montour is the perfect third pairing and shouldn’t be broken up IMO. I think we need someone bought in specifically to play with Fowler, Bieksa isn’t good enough and we are short a top 4 D. I’m not sure what’s out there but what was an area of strength is now an area where we look vulnerable.

I thought Fowler and Manson had several games where they looked good together at the beginning of this season. I also thought that last year that they were just as good as Lindholm/Manson. Now I will say that I think Fowler has struggled a bit this season, especially since his last injury. Seems more tentative than normal.

I 100% agree about Beauchemon/Montour being the ideal 3rd pairing. I'm on board with bringing in a defenseman to play with Fowler. I'm not trying to say that Manson/Fowler has to be a thing. I'm saying that with our current defense, I think our best, current top 4 combination is Fowler/Manson; Lindholm/Montour. I'd be fine if we brought in another D to play with Cam, as I think Lindholm/Manson is arguably our best pair. I just that think that with the current D, it's better to put Josh with Cam and Montour with Hampus because Fowler plays better when paired with a more stay at home guy like Josh.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Darn!

we do. it's stickied because 3/4ths of our lineup has been hurt this season.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Now that Perry is going to miss some time, the only players on our team who will have played in every game are Manson, Cogliano, Vermette, Grant, and Wagner.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I thought Fowler and Manson had several games where they looked good together at the beginning of this season. I also thought that last year that they were just as good as Lindholm/Manson. Now I will say that I think Fowler has struggled a bit this season, especially since his last injury. Seems more tentative than normal.

I 100% agree about Beauchemon/Montour being the ideal 3rd pairing. I'm on board with bringing in a defenseman to play with Fowler. I'm not trying to say that Manson/Fowler has to be a thing. I'm saying that with our current defense, I think our best, current top 4 combination is Fowler/Manson; Lindholm/Montour. I'd be fine if we brought in another D to play with Cam, as I think Lindholm/Manson is arguably our best pair. I just that think that with the current D, it's better to put Josh with Cam and Montour with Hampus because Fowler plays better when paired with a more stay at home guy like Josh.

Yeah I don’t necessarily disagree so much with the logic but my issue with this is where it leaves the third pair. Beauchemin Bieksa scares the crap out of me and while I think a Beauchemin Welinksi pair may have potential (although it’s very early to say whether Welinksi is good enough to stick) I doubt Carlyle gives Welinksi a chance when everyone is healthy.

Reactions: Trojans86

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm just shocked Cogliano has been able to stay healthy the way our season has been going. I'm starting to suspect Anne Wilkes is one of our team doctors.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

While I agree with your base logic, when they traded Vatanen the die was cast. Lindholm-Manson is just way too good to split up. They gave up Theodore to keep Vats and then injuries forced them to trade him prematurely for forward help. Given the hits to the roster already, there's about zero chance they drop even more resources on a top 4 D to leave Holzer/Beauchemin/Montour/Bieksa all on the roster and fighting for bottom pairing minutes just to hunt down the perfect partner for Fowler. They gave him a huge contract - now he needs to step up and earn it and carry the pairing with Montour.

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah I don’t necessarily disagree so much with the logic but my issue with this is where it leaves the third pair. Beauchemin Bieksa scares the crap out of me and while I think a Beauchemin Welinksi pair may have potential (although it’s very early to say whether Welinksi is good enough to stick) I doubt Carlyle gives Welinksi a chance when everyone is healthy.

agreed.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
According to Ducks Facebook, Roy is back up with the Ducks due to Perry injury. Guess he had just enough time to unpack before they told him to get his stuff together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad