Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This may be my Roy/homer mind speaking but what exactly has Ritchie done to deserve a dedicated spot on the team? He's big and he hits? That's great, but the team isn't lacking in physicality. The dude plays like Lazy Getzlaf of a few years ago. I'm not about to start hating the guy but he really needs to show he's going to be a force in the playoffs.

Ritchie has his faults and isn’t great defensively but his defensive ability still far outweighs Roy’s. Roy really struggles to win board battles and get the puck out in the d zone and is often out of position defensively. Once he has space with the puck he’s good at moving it out of there effectively but I’ve seen us get hemmed in the d zone regularly at the fault of Roy.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ritchie downside in the defensive zone is he is horrible at clearing the puck, he often gives perfect passes to the D men of the other team. Roy fault is he is too small and can't get the puck. They are close but Roy is no fit for the 4th line. Send him down if thats the case.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I think at some point, we should scratch Ritchie, and keep Roy with Henrique-Perry. Gives Roy one last shot at really making a difference on the 3rd line, and gives Ritchie a wake up call.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Horrible defensively, horrible physically and not scoring unless hes paired with Getzlaf. Now answer me what has he provided the last 2 weeks
Horrible defensively is a synonym for liability, by the way. It's a conclusion that doesn't describe anything. You're full of crap.

Roy has accomplished as much as Ritchie in the last two weeks.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Horrible defensively is a synonym for liability, by the way. It's a conclusion that doesn't describe anything. You're full of crap.

Roy has accomplished as much as Ritchie in the last two weeks.

To add to this:

There are a lot of things I've liked about Roy's game. It's all in the offensive zone right now, and he's still figuring out how to be successful, but it's important to remember he has 24 games of experience. Total. Realistic expectations are important here. There are a lot of little things we should reasonably expect to improve just with more experience.

Ritchie has 145 games, and I find that he's still trying to figure out how to contribute. He's still a young player, but you'd expect a more refined and overall effective game from him, and I'm not sure the gap between them is all that large.

Neither of them has done much in the last two weeks, but I think it's more excusable with Roy. Ritchie needs to start showing more, or he may not have a future in Anaheim.

Reactions: Boogernaut
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
To add to this:

There are a lot of things I've liked about Roy's game. It's all in the offensive zone right now, and he's still figuring out how to be successful, but it's important to remember he has 24 games of experience. Total. Realistic expectations are important here. There are a lot of little things we should reasonably expect to improve just with more experience.

Ritchie has 145 games, and I find that he's still trying to figure out how to contribute. He's still a young player, but you'd expect a more refined and overall effective game from him, and I'm not sure the gap between them is all that large.

Neither of them has done much in the last two weeks, but I think it's more excusable with Roy. Ritchie needs to start showing more, or he may not have a future in Anaheim.
Pretty much. Roy has a lot on the ball. He's not even "horrible physically," whatever that means. I didn't have the energy to make a nuanced argument that's guaranteed to go unread.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Pretty much. Roy has a lot on the ball. He's not even "horrible physically," whatever that means. I didn't have the energy to make a nuanced argument that's guaranteed to go unread.

Grr. Big. Grr. Tough. Grr. Fight.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
WOULD YOU GUYS TRADE Steel for Pacioretty?

Prospect for a 35 goals scorer? Habs need to rebuild. AND i think Pacioretty would fit in nicely with the DUcks.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Without knowing offhand pacioretty's contract numbers, I would. Depending.

He’s on a great contract $4.5M until end of next season.

I would be on the fence if we still need forward help but I quite like the forward group and think a partner for Fowler is more important so that’s where I would spend assets.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Roy gets pushed off the puck along the boards almost every shift and does not initiate contact on the opposing defense at even the Logan Shaw level. Doesn't have anything to do with dropping the gloves.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Prospect for a 35 goals scorer? Habs need to rebuild. AND i think Pacioretty would fit in nicely with the DUcks.

No I wouldn't trade Steel for Pacioretty. Ducks need to be keeping their good forward prospects to help us remain as competitive as we can be for when our top forwards are not so good as well as having cheap contracts until that time comes.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Outside of the fact Steel is a no go unless someone is nice enough to trade us a top tier NHL center in return for him (which they obviously wouldn't). Pacioretty makes zero sense from a financial view, he comes off contract the same time as Silf and Henrique (UFA's) and Gibson (RFA) there is no way we can afford to re-sign those 3 and re-sign Pacioretty to what would be likely a 7m+ contract extension, and to be honest we're not hurting for wingers right now anyway. A center (if we want to push Henrique to wing) or a #4 defenceman is a far better need to target.

I'm all for going all in, but Anaheim would be stupid to trade their best center prospect in years to do that given how thin we are in the pipeline there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Nah, as much as pacioretty would prob fit in Anaheim, we really cant move a guy like steel w/o potentially facing a rebuild in the not too distant future. I cant see Anaheim moving Steel unless were getting a good young center back in the trade. Lot of teams struggle because they cant find good centers to build around... not saying steel is that yet, but he has potential to be a good top 6 center.

I feel like a guy like RNH might be a better option anyway, for montreal that is.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kossila should be in over Roy/Shaw/Ritchie. He's stepped up and playing real well lately, games seems to be slowing down for him.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If we were to go all in for this season and next I wouldn't be against trading some of our non-center prospects. We could roll with lines like this

Rakell - Getzlaf - Kase
Cogliano - Kesler - Silf
Patches - Henrique - Perry
??? - Vermette - Wagner

I certainly wouldnt mind moving a combination of Ritchie, a quality prospect and a pick. Then after next year start selling a bunch of assets and take on some bad salaries for a quick rebuild around a great goalie, quality d in their prime and hope that Steel can be a 1C (I'm not sold yet). That would be my plan at least if it looks like we are going to make the playoffs.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I think BM stays with what he has at this point. When they start back up on Saturday night in LA it will for the most part be the line up we all thought they'd have to start the year, except with Henrique for Sami and minus Eaves.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Silf
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Wagner-Vermette-Shaw/Grant

Fowler-Bieksa
Lindholm-Manson
Beach-Montour

This line up with Gibson and Miller should make a go of it.

I believe they go 22-12-5 over the next 39 games and finish with the last wild card spot.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I would be mildly interested in seeing if Franson is a waiver-wire option. He's got $0.5M on his contract left. He can't possibly be worse than Bieksa, and will be at least on par with Holzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad