Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
The deal would be predicated on winning now at the expense of giving up a younger player, otherwise San Jose wouldn't do the deal either. At some point don't you want to make a real run at winning the cup even if it hurts us a little in the future. 3 to 4 years down the road we could be okay but it is really hard to win the cup without some elite core pieces and you are only getting those through top draft picks.

Rakell - Getz - eaves
Cogs - kes - silf
Ritchie - pavelski - perry

Not bad at all. Or maybe

Ritchi - getz - eaves
Cogs - kes - kase
Rakell - pavelski - silf
Murray seems to be of the "try to be competitive every year" mindset.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The deal would be predicated on winning now at the expense of giving up a younger player, otherwise San Jose wouldn't do the deal either. At some point don't you want to make a real run at winning the cup even if it hurts us a little in the future. 3 to 4 years down the road we could be okay but it is really hard to win the cup without some elite core pieces and you are only getting those through top draft picks.

Rakell - Getz - eaves
Cogs - kes - silf
Ritchie - pavelski - perry

Not bad at all. Or maybe

Ritchi - getz - eaves
Cogs - kes - kase
Rakell - pavelski - silf

I would be shocked if this team got older by giving up quality young assets or high draft picks.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I don't know if I fully subscribe to the " you can only find core pieces at the top of the draft " mantra. Teams find elite talent every year that aren't top 5 picks. Or even, top 10.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Per Friedman, the reason we didn`t land Marleau was because we couldn`t afford bonuses that Toronto was able to afford. If Toronto paid what they did, I assume we were still ready to give him pretty big contract. Glad we didn`t end up paying him that contract though. And glad to hear Bob is seriously trying to upgrade something. Looks like only a trade will be able to give us a somewhat serious upgrade though, but not sure Bob is ready to give up any significant asset that we have. A lot of pieces have to fall in place now.

Oct 18, 2011
I don't know if I fully subscribe to the " you can only find core pieces at the top of the draft " mantra. Teams find elite talent every year that aren't top 5 picks. Or even, top 10.
High picks just increase the likelihood, in football and hockey stars are found all over the draft

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Per Friedman, the reason we didn`t land Marleau was because we couldn`t afford bonuses that Toronto was able to afford. If Toronto paid what they did, I assume we were still ready to give him pretty big contract. Glad we didn`t end up paying him that contract though. And glad to hear Bob is seriously trying to upgrade something. Looks like only a trade will be able to give us a somewhat serious upgrade though, but not sure Bob is ready to give up any significant asset that we have. A lot of pieces have to fall in place now.

Friedman has been garbage for a while now. Sure, I can't see our organization dishing out a $7 million signing bonus to a 37-year-old, but I also can't see our organization giving Marleau $6.25 million AAV and a full NMC in the first place. I don't think we even had the cap space to make that happen, even if Bob had surrefed a mental lapse of some sort and decided to just go through with it. And if Bob WAS planning on giving Marleau a 3-year deal of some sort, I really hope he feels shame in a year or two, when he sees how far Marleau has declined and how bad that contract turned out to be.

Anyway, I'm very glad that this Marleau saga is over and done, and that the Ducks weren't the team that ended up "getting" him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Friedman has been garbage for a while now. Sure, I can't see our organization dishing out a $7 million signing bonus to a 37-year-old, but I also can't see our organization giving Marleau $6.25 million AAV and a full NMC in the first place. I don't think we even had the cap space to make that happen, even if Bob had surrefed a mental lapse of some sort and decided to just go through with it. And if Bob WAS planning on giving Marleau a 3-year deal of some sort, I really hope he feels shame in a year or two, when he sees how far Marleau has declined and how bad that contract turned out to be.

Anyway, I'm very glad that this Marleau saga is over and done, and that the Ducks weren't the team that ended up "getting" him.

Friedman over the past year or so has become really unreliable especially with regards to Ducks things. I used to think he was really good but he's certainly not someone who is overly credible these days.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Friedman over the past year or so has become really unreliable especially with regards to Ducks things. I used to think he was really good but he's certainly not someone who is overly credible these days.

Yeah. I used to hold him in much higher regard. He's really gone downhill. And I don't think it's just Ducks stuff either. Most of the MB threads that use him as a source are usually just him speculating, not actually having inside info.

wraparound

May 17, 2014

Joe Pavelski being a standout example

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
If Bob was really thinking of giving Marleau anything in the realm of what Toronto did then I take back any praise I gave him for standing pat(no pun). The possibility that he almost took on another garbage contract right after getting rid of Stoner's would be disheartening to say the least.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
If Bob was really thinking of giving Marleau anything in the realm of what Toronto did then I take back any praise I gave him for standing pat(no pun). The possibility that he almost took on another garbage contract right after getting rid of Stoner's would be disheartening to say the least.

I would have welcomed the move. Not at what Toronto gave him, but...

People are always complaining we never go for it.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
I would have welcomed the move. Not at what Toronto gave him, but...

People are always complaining we never go for it.

Nothing against Marleau but anything over 2 years at 3.5 I would have thought it a poor contract to give. What Toronto did is a year longer and almost twice as much AAV. Absurd.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
As did others for a more accurate cap hit. He's been very average the past couple of seasons.

Yeah, on July 1, he had it on the 27th. My main point with that one is that absolutely no one refused to believe that one and talked about how he doesn't have good sources here or the other similar talking points when an insider says something people don't like.

He's quite fine, he happens to put himself out there more than others (which people should appreciate) and takes flack for it when it doesn't come to fruition.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Because he's smart and he realizes you don't waste primes of stars like Getz, Kesler and Perry.
I would argue just the opposite. We don't have any Cups to show for it, we have gone in with flawed teams each year. I think we have wasted their primes because he would rather be competitive each year rather than ever going for it in any one year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You guys mean like how Friedman had Miller coming to us well before anyone else, for a recent example?

Everybody has had Miller coming here for the last 2 years. I'm not sure any one person gets credit for that one. But even if you believe he was first, it's been a long time since he actually broke news versus just speculate on what might happen. He's miles behind McKenzie, LeBrun, and even Dreger when it comes to breaking anything.

I like the guy, I just think he's either been slacking or losing contacts.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Everybody has had Miller coming here for the last 2 years. I'm not sure any one person gets credit for that one. But even if you believe he was first, it's been a long time since he actually broke news versus just speculate on what might happen. He's miles behind McKenzie, LeBrun, and even Dreger when it comes to breaking anything.

I like the guy, I just think he's either been slacking or losing contacts.

A lot of people believed it might happen because his wife is an actress, he actually reported it days before anyone else. Trying to discredit it because it was a very logical fit is completely ridiculous.

And no, he's not miles behind, there's nothing to back this up. The part where its been a long time since he broke news is also a blatant lie.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
A lot of people believed it might happen because his wife is an actress, he actually reported it days before anyone else. Trying to discredit it because it was a very logical fit is completely ridiculous.

And no, he's not miles behind, there's nothing to back this up. The part where its been a long time since he broke news is also a blatant lie.

Really? Opinions are pretty subjective but I don't feel the need to call you a liar just because I don't agree with you.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
What part of "it's been a long time since he broke anything" is an opinion? Its quite false.

It's all opinion and it's all subjective. There are no official stats to score insiders on. Why you have to get so bent out of shape over something so trivial is beyond me. As I said before, IMO (better?) he's nowhere near the big 3 in breaking news. Did he have any of the ED picks like Bobby Mac who was getting writers cramp from tweeting all the deals before they were announced?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I would argue just the opposite. We don't have any Cups to show for it, we have gone in with flawed teams each year. I think we have wasted their primes because he would rather be competitive each year rather than ever going for it in any one year.

Yup. 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2018 playoffs have all had what appears to be a gaping hole at the 3C. In 2015, one WC Finals team sent parts to Arizona to get Vermette, the other did not. One of those two teams won the Cup, with Vermette scoring a 2OT goal.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's all opinion and it's all subjective. There are no official stats to score insiders on. Why you have to get so bent out of shape over something so trivial is beyond me. As I said before, IMO (better?) he's nowhere near the big 3 in breaking news. Did he have any of the ED picks like Bobby Mac who was getting writers cramp from tweeting all the deals before they were announced?

It's not opinion when you make declarative statements, which I never did. If I'm bent out of shape, which I'm not, itd be because of a growing trend of people trashing these guys' credibility because they say something they don't like, here and everywhere else.

I must say its hilarious that you open with it all being subjective and there's no way to score it, and then come back with an objective statement about how he's clearly behind the other big three. Between that and some of your ridiculous arguments, makes me think you just really hate the guy and you're bent out of shape because I'm defending him.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
It's not opinion when you make declarative statements, which I never did. If I'm bent out of shape, which I'm not, itd be because of a growing trend of people trashing these guys' credibility because they say something they don't like, here and everywhere else.

I must say its hilarious that you open with it all being subjective and there's no way to score it, and then come back with an objective statement about how he's clearly behind the other big three. Between that and some of your ridiculous arguments, makes me think you just really hate the guy and you're bent out of shape because I'm defending him.

Friedman does stink now, he's gone way downhill and has really started to speculate more than anything. Bob Mac had a rough year or so but has seemed to pick up steam again. He reports what he hears much more than Elliotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad