Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Perron, Beleskey, Eaves, Perreault. He made offers to all but Perron but kept them all for the playoff runs.

I agree with David on that one. There are circumstances that show both sides. The only one of those guys who's comparable to Silfverberg IMO is Beleskey. Murray clearly didn't think anything of Perreault. Eaves and Perron were added late in the seasons. I don't think they were considered core guys. I agree with David in that I don't think Murray let's Silfverberg leave with no compensation.

I'd be in favor of getting young assets for Silf and then using some combination of young assets to find an upgrade to his spot personally

This conversation is premature because, IMO, a lot depends how we fair this season/post season. If we get bounced in the 1st round or don't make the playoffs; there's got to me some significant change. Ideally it's the coach, but I don't think that's realistic. I'm not saying you definitely trade Silfverberg, but if there's a great offer, you definitely think about it. I wouldn't mind doing what you said. Somehow replace him with a more offensive player. I'm still a fan of Galchenyuk. Would love to somehow swap the two.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Galchenyuk-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Eaves
Ritchie-Grant-Terry

I hope we never have a coach that would dress the softest lineup in the league like this

That is nowhere close to the softest lineup in the league. Like someone said, it's similar to the lineup now. Just doesn't have useless 4th liners on it.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Honestly I wouldn't mind having tougher/dirtier players, but that is far from the softest lineup in the league. You have teams out there that don't have a single player willing to drop the gloves on any kind of regular basis. And that lineup has Ritchie, Manson, and Kesler in it. Not to mention the Twins will drop them a few times a year usually. There are at least 10-15 teams in the league that would fight and hit less than that lineup would I bet. That's more an indicator of how soft and skilled the league has become. You look at the leader board for fighting majors this year and it's crazy. Michael Haley with 21, McLeod and Tom Wilson with 13, then the next highest is 2 guys with 7 fights. There's just only a few guys dropping the gloves more than once every month these days.

That defense does look a bit soft though. I would love for Murray to get a physical top 4 D that can actually play hockey (not Roman Polak plz)

This is pretty spot on. Our lineup isn't filled with a ton of fighters, but that doesn't mean it isn't physical. Understand that Dirk values fighting over physicality though. That's not a shot at Dirk, but he doesn't evaluate "toughness" like others do.

I don't think an enforcer is necessary. I think "toughness" is in the teams identity. Ideally you have physical, capable players through out the lineup. Don't get me wrong; give me Liambas over Kelly any day. Hell I'd take Boll over Kelly (don't want either in NHL, let alone lineup though).

top 4 capable, physical defenseman are extremely hard to find though. My fear is he's going to go 2010 pro scouting and sign Josh Gorges though. He'll be the new Beauchemin. We'll hate it and wonder why he's playing over better players and then we'll blame Murray/Carlyle like we do every year. I'd bet money that Gorges or Sustr will be a Duck by 2nd day of free agency.

Look around, that line up is still in the top 10 toughest lines ups in the league based on size and how many will drop the gloves.

Regardless, I think Silf will be traded this summer and probably be replaced by a rookie of some sort who is on a lower salary. No other way to get some cap relief unless Eaves is out, which i have a feeling he might be a trade deadline casualty at some point. I have a feeling Grant has earned another contract as well and he will be a low cost 4th liner.

If Silfverberg is traded, which I agree is fairly likely, I think it will be more because of Murray wanting a shake up and/or not wanting to lose Silfverberg for nothing.

I assume the D will be Larsson, Pettersson, Megna, Welinski fighting for two spots and BM signs a Physical Veteran to be a 7th defensemen. To be honest i would not put it past BM to trade one of those for some assets (maybe with Silf) for a young scorer on an ELC. When you have that many potential NHL players needing spots (and none exist), it is a waste to let them grow old in the AHL without getting some assets back.

I always say this, but I think BM will be active at the draft.

I seriously doubt Murray let's our defense be that young. He'll add a Beauchemin like player in free agency. I (and everyone else) will probably hate it, but I'd be beyond stunned if we saw a 3rd pair that had two of those guys you mentioned.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I seriously doubt Murray let's our defense be that young. He'll add a Beauchemin like player in free agency. I (and everyone else) will probably hate it, but I'd be beyond stunned if we saw a 3rd pair that had two of those guys you mentioned.
I have to agree with this. BM won't ice a Blue line where half of the players have about 100 games or less of NHL experience. We also still have Holzer signed to an NHL contract next year as a #7. 1 roster spot will be open and the rest will be call up options. Based on BMs history and recent known interest I'd expect Polak or JJ. Gorges makes sense too. Id prefer an top 4 D who only has a few years left on his deal. Someone we could slide up if we have an injury or Montour struggles.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
is it safe to say that marcus pettersson is a lock among defenders?
I expect him to play for the rest of the season (at least until Bieksa is back, hopefully after that, too). If that's what you meant. Next season and beyond is anybody's guess.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I agree with David on that one. There are circumstances that show both sides. The only one of those guys who's comparable to Silfverberg IMO is Beleskey. Murray clearly didn't think anything of Perreault. Eaves and Perron were added late in the seasons. I don't think they were considered core guys. I agree with David in that I don't think Murray let's Silfverberg leave with no compensation.

Perrault has almost the exact same production as Silfverberg (actually a slightly higher regular season PPG), and similar durability. They're both oft-injured 40 point players. Silfverberg performs in the playoffs at a ludicrous clip, but as far as 2nd line production they're almost identical. Beleskey outside of his hitting was a significantly inferior player to both of them, his career year is below an average year for the other guys.

I wasn't discussing core or not. I was discussing BM willing to keep players for a playoff run and risk having productive players walk if he couldn't re-sign them at a rate he considered appropriate.

Finding the list of UFA players he's shipped out in a playoff year is the real challenge.

Reactions: Boogernaut

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Perrault has almost the exact same production as Silfverberg (actually a slightly higher regular season PPG), and similar durability. They're both oft-injured 40 point players. Silfverberg performs in the playoffs at a ludicrous clip, but as far as 2nd line production they're almost identical. Beleskey outside of his hitting was a significantly inferior player to both of them, his career year is below an average year for the other guys.

I wasn't discussing core or not. I was discussing BM willing to keep players for a playoff run and risk having productive players walk if he couldn't re-sign them at a rate he considered appropriate.

Finding the list of UFA players he's shipped out in a playoff year is the real challenge.
MP also didn't have a great reputation. He could produce but wasn't considered very good defensively, we got him for dirt cheap. Silfverberg has a VERY strong reputation as a 2 way forward. I am not saying BM doesn't keep him, but Silf has real value to teams, much like Vatanen who BM traded away a good prospect to make sure was protected in the expansion draft. There is a lot more attachment to a guy we've had for 4 years than someone who had a decent year in a sheltered 3rd line role that we didn't give up any real assets for. It would be similar to the situation where we moved Bobby Ryan.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I was not trying to belittle Perreault at all. My comment was insinuating that I don't think Murray valued him anywhere close to what he valued the other players you mentioned since he was an RFA and didn't even qualify him.

I just think Murray tries to be very proactive with core guys. Sometimes I think it backfires on him personally, but I think that's just Murray. Kesler and Fowler immediately come to mind. If the choice was to keep Silfverberg through next year or trade him for future pieces (that won't be used to upgrade the roster), than I'd prefer he keep Silfverberg for another run. I just don't expect that to happen. I think a lot depends on this year's performance, but if we're bounced first round or don't make the playoffs, I expect a significant change to happen and with the Cogliano extension, he seems like the most likely guy to go.

You're right, finding a list of UFA players he shipped out is a challenge. However, I think what is common is that Murray is proactive with free agents, especially key ones. I don't think Silfverberg will enter next season with out being signed to an extension or traded personally. Murray did let Eaves and Beleskey test free agency, but I think Murray values Silfverberg more than those guys. I think he'll be proactive with him like he was with Fowler, Ryan, and Kesler. He could go the Cogliano route and sign him midseason but I doubt it.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Silf probably can get an easy 5x5 contract in FA. He’s due for a raise from Anaheim to about 4.5-5 from his 3.75 million. If I had to choose, I would rather trade him for a pick and prospect, and resign Uncle Rico. Then again, Henrique probably comes in a hair under Kesler money. 6x6 is my guess for Rico

With Manson and Fowler raises kicking in, we may have to go full #youthMovement

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It'ss unlikely any goaltender anytime soon is going to get a Price contract - Montreal just has one of the worst GM's in the league who panicked.

Not to mention, Gibson is still a RFA after his bridge deal is up so Anaheim still has plenty of negotiating power. That being said, I'd be shocked if BM gets Gibson signed long term under 6m AAV on his next deal, Gibson has among the best goaltending statistics since debuting in the NHL and has been a top NHL goaltender last 2 years.

Reactions: Paul4587

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
It'ss unlikely any goaltender anytime soon is going to get a Price contract - Montreal just has one of the worst GM's in the league who panicked.

Not to mention, Gibson is still a RFA after his bridge deal is up so Anaheim still has plenty of negotiating power. That being said, I'd be shocked if BM gets Gibson signed long term under 6m AAV on his next deal, Gibson has among the best goaltending statistics since debuting in the NHL and has been a top NHL goaltender last 2 years.
Maybe we can get Nashville fans to negotiate on our behalf? They seem to know why Gibson sucks

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Silf probably can get an easy 5x5 contract in FA. He’s due for a raise from Anaheim to about 4.5-5 from his 3.75 million. If I had to choose, I would rather trade him for a pick and prospect, and resign Uncle Rico. Then again, Henrique probably comes in a hair under Kesler money. 6x6 is my guess for Rico

With Manson and Fowler raises kicking in, we may have to go full #youthMovement

Don’t forget Kevin Bieksa is UFA after this season as well. That’s 4 million off the books for the ducks. You let em walk and bring up Larsson. Plenty of cash to use for hypothetical signings and or trades.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Don’t forget Kevin Bieksa is UFA after this season as well. That’s 4 million off the books for the ducks. You let em walk and bring up Larsson. Plenty of cash to use for hypothetical signings and or trades.

So per CapFriendly for next year we are projected at a hair under 64M with what we have already signed. The RFA's that need to be re-signed are Ritchie, Kase, Welinski and Montour. Assuming we re-sign none of them, there are 5 UFA forwards and 2 UFA D that will need to be replaced. Using this years cap that's 11 players that need to either be re-signed and/or replaced for 11 million.

Cap is supposed to increase to between 78M and 82M, which means more realistically 14 to 18M to spend on 11 players. How in god's name are we going to fit what is probably going to be a 6.5 to 7.5 million dollar forward in there and ice a team? Do you think Montour is going to re-sign for 925k? Or Kase for 670? There is literally no realistic scenario where we can afford JVR.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
So per CapFriendly for next year we are projected at a hair under 64M with what we have already signed. The RFA's that need to be re-signed are Ritchie, Kase, Welinski and Montour. Assuming we re-sign none of them, there are 5 UFA forwards and 2 UFA D that will need to be replaced. Using this years cap that's 11 players that need to either be re-signed and/or replaced for 11 million.

Cap is supposed to increase to between 78M and 82M, which means more realistically 14 to 18M to spend on 11 players. How in god's name are we going to fit what is probably going to be a 6.5 to 7.5 million dollar forward in there and ice a team? Do you think Montour is going to re-sign for 925k? Or Kase for 670? There is literally no realistic scenario where we can afford JVR.

Only Person I’m interested in resigning is Montour. Even without a JVR signing majority of the players will test free agency. I would “like” to sign JVR, but if it’s not in our cards it’s not in our cards. It depends whole heartedly on how much cash the samuellis want to spend. We made Bieksa big fat 4 million NMC contract work. Why couldn’t we shuffle around and make a JVR contract work?

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Only Person I’m interested in resigning is Montour. Even without a JVR signing majority of the players will test free agency. I would “like” to sign JVR, but if it’s not in our cards it’s not in our cards. It depends whole heartedly on how much cash the samuellis want to spend. We made Bieksa big fat 4 million NMC contract work. Why couldn’t we shuffle around and make a JVR contract work?
So not only are we leaving Silfverberg for JVR, but we're leaving Kase as well?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
So not only are we leaving Silfverberg for JVR, but we're leaving Kase as well?

Even without JVR, and I’m a huge JVR supporter to Anaheim. But even without em how are we suppose to resign everyone? Chimera is easily gone and Bieksa, so that’s free money. I just can’t grasp how all these contracts will be handed out while keeping this team competitive. There’s no way we can sit as a bubble team for playoffs year after year.

Either Jones and Steel step in and start scoring goals or this is a sinking ship. We gotta bring someone in during free agency to help this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad